Opinions sought - Most difficult sigle-day mountain bike race?

Sean

Guest
I'm curious from alt-mtbers experience, what is the toughest one day mountain bike race there is? I
have completed Leadville(Colorado) twice with respectable times(at least for me; around 11 hours),
and failed to finish the Cascade Creampuff(oregon) once (missing the ~10 hour 66 mile cutoff).
Because of this, I would put the Creampuff above Leadville as far as difficulty. Of course that
could also be because I have very little technical skill!

Anyway, I'm looking for more challenges. Do you know of any?

Thanks,

Sean

sean wrote:
> I'm curious from alt-mtbers experience, what is the toughest one day mountain bike race there is?
> I have completed Leadville(Colorado) twice with respectable times(at least for me; around 11
> hours), and failed to finish the Cascade Creampuff(oregon) once (missing the ~10 hour 66 mile
> cutoff). Because of this, I would put the Creampuff above Leadville as far as difficulty. Of
> course that could also be because I have very little technical skill!
>
> Anyway, I'm looking for more challenges. Do you know of any?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sean

Well, I haven't done Leadville, but I can attest that the Creampuff is an ass-kicker. The stats
don't really do it justice: 100 miles, 18,000! feet of climbing, more than half singletrack.

Some friends that have done some solo 24 hour racing say the 'Puff is tougher...

Miles

"sean" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm curious from alt-mtbers experience, what is the toughest one day mountain bike race there is?
> I have completed Leadville(Colorado) twice with respectable times(at least for me; around 11
> hours), and failed to finish the Cascade Creampuff(oregon) once (missing the ~10 hour 66 mile
> cutoff). Because of this, I would put the Creampuff above Leadville as far as difficulty. Of
> course that could also be because I have very little technical skill!
>
> Anyway, I'm looking for more challenges. Do you know of any?
>
> Thanks,

Since it sounds like you're into self-torture, go to Vermont and try the VT
50.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

[email protected] (sean) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... <snip race junk>
> Of course that could also be because I have very little technical skill!
>
> Anyway, I'm looking for more challenges. Do you know of any?

It's glaringly obvious. Learn to ride technical instead of racing or "training".

JD

Carla A-G scrawled in bright red lipstick:
> "sean" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I'm curious from alt-mtbers experience, what is the toughest one day mountain bike race there is?
>> I have completed Leadville(Colorado) twice with respectable times(at least for me; around 11
>> hours), and failed to finish the Cascade Creampuff(oregon) once (missing the ~10 hour 66 mile
>> cutoff). Because of this, I would put the Creampuff above Leadville as far as difficulty. Of
>> course that could also be because I have very little technical skill!
>>
>> Anyway, I'm looking for more challenges. Do you know of any?
>>
>> Thanks,
>
> Since it sounds like you're into self-torture, go to Vermont and try the VT
> 50.

Trans-Rockies? ( oh wait, that's more than one day isn't it....)

Penny

> Trans-Rockies? ( oh wait, that's more than one day isn't it....)
>
> Penny

I was mostly thinking of one-day events but the Trans-Rockies sounds like something to try for sure.
Have you (or anyone else out there) experienced it?

> > Of course that could also be because I have very little technical skill!
> >
> > Anyway, I'm looking for more challenges. Do you know of any?
>
> It's glaringly obvious. Learn to ride technical instead of racing or "training".
>
> JD

That's it! Thanks JD. You are really a neat guy!