Opinions sought: Rudy Project Rydon sunglasses

Chris Hobbs

Guest
It would take too long to explain, but I have a lump sum of cash to spend which can effectively only
be spent on eyeglasses. One thing I would like to get is a nice pair of prescription cycling
sunglasses, and since I have the dollars, I'm looking at higher end stuff.

So, does anyone own a pair of Rudy Project Rydons they'd care to comment on? Even better if you use
the RX insert.

Any other suggestions for prescription (or RX insertable) cycling glasses? I appreciate
your opinions!

--
Chris Hobbs Replace "heyyou" with "chris" to reply via e-mail

In article <[email protected]>, Chris Hobbs
<[email protected]> wrote:
>It would take too long to explain, but I have a lump sum of cash to spend which can effectively
>only be spent on eyeglasses. One thing I would like to get is a nice pair of prescription cycling
>sunglasses, and since I have the dollars, I'm looking at higher end stuff.
>
>So, does anyone own a pair of Rudy Project Rydons they'd care to comment on? Even better if you use
>the RX insert.
>
>Any other suggestions for prescription (or RX insertable) cycling glasses? I appreciate your
>opinions!

I have been using the Rudy Skeey Uno with the Rx insert for the last year or so. The Rx insert is
very close to my eyes. It was annoying at first but now doesn't really bother me. I think some
people would really hate it since you may brush your eyelashes against the lens.

The Rydon looks like the Rx insert may be a little smaller which is probably an improvement in terms
of fit (on my face anyway).

I had the glasses a few weeks before I flung them on the ground and rode over them (removing a bee
from my helmet). The Rudy guys (contacted via email) were super nice and gave a great price on the
replacement, they are good people. No return required, I kept the old ones for parts.

The Rx insert metal frame also proved to be very tough - I folded it completely in half when I rode
over it and then straightened it by hand, it did not require replacement, only the eyeglass frame
was broken.

Overall I have to say the Rx insert makes the glasses a pain to clean, they fog up easier and I get
sweat on both sides of the Rx lens, and on the inside of the tinted lens. Then you pretty much have
to take the tinted lenses out to clean them.

Previously I used the Rx Oakley M-frames. That design does not use an insert. It fit me better and
was easier to keep clean. But Oakley's pricing is so high as to be offensive - sorry you can't sell
me 3 cents worth of plastic for that much money - their margins must be incredible. And it's easier
to scratch the Rx lens since it is exposed to the world.

Also in my opinion Rudy and Oakley both do not make an eyeglass tinted dark enough for Southern
California.

Oh one more thing - unlike the Oakley style, Rx insert glasses can have the Rx changed by any
optometrist instead of waiting weeks to have Oakley make them at the factory.

--Paul

"Chris Hobbs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It would take too long to explain, but I have a lump sum of cash to spend which can effectively
> only be spent on eyeglasses. One thing I would like to get is a nice pair of prescription cycling
> sunglasses, and since I have the dollars, I'm looking at higher end stuff.

Have you looked at Zeal? I have a pair of Zeal Blasts that are just great. I also believe Zeal will
actually make prescription lenses to fit. I've owned Oakleys and Black Flys and the Zeals are the
best ever. Plus, they're located in Moab, so they're all about cycling.

http://www.zealoptics.com