Opinions/suggestions for new bike?

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 18:54:03 +0100, "Gareth Crawshaw" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm not sure about the recumbents...

Ride one and you will be :-D

>the roads around can be quite twisty - a lot of blind bends - hilly, and quite narrow. As I said in
>an earlier post, traffic is something that concerns me around here: because the number of cars is
>low, people drive extremely quickly and I have seen many close calls with people bumping up
>embankments (there are no pavements or curbs...) just to get past each other in places... So... I'm
>not sure about the safety aspect of a recumbent on the roads around me - although that could be
>just my lack of knowledge in these things?

That sounds like my commute. Country lanes and rural A roads, mad cagers, buses, the occasional
loose animal - all perfectly normal. You are in no more peril on a 'bent than on a wedgie, and in
some ways less because instead of ignoring you as a non-threat and killing you, they look twice and
try to work out what you are riding.

>Plus... cycling in the evenings and mornings, especially during the winter, a third of my rides
>this last year have been in the dark (there is no lighting up the country roads!)... Just a
>thought. Would those considerations have any impact on your thoughts about a recument?

Oh yes. Makes it much more desirable :) In the winter, when the roads are icy, I often wish I'd
splashed out for the extra wheel, but I managed to ride to work in the snow OK on my two-wheel
lowbike. Of course I don't know exactly what the roads round you are like, but it hasn't been a
problem for me and I've been riding recumbent since September last, commuting 15 miles round
trip daily.

I have a flag and a RealLite, of course. The flag is so people can see something waving around, as
the research shows that wobbliness attracts more space from cars. We tried this with my 9-year-old;
a flag on the back of his bike waves around like anything and gets him appreciably more room from
the cagers.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

> On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 18:54:03 +0100, "Gareth Crawshaw" <[email protected]> wrote:

[snip]

> I have a flag and a RealLite, of course. The flag is so people can see something waving around, as
> the research shows that wobbliness attracts more space from cars. We tried this with my
> 9-year-old; a flag on the back of his bike waves around like anything and gets him appreciably
> more room from the cagers.

Interesting point... I think (given that the response has brought back some very pro 'bent remarks
(see, I'm even getting the lingo!) ;-) I just gotta try one... perhaps it's one of those things...
horses for courses. A road bike for your traditional timed rides, recumbent for the leisurely (or
not-so depending on your mood) touring and old faithful for jumping off cliff tops... This could
start getting expensive!

G.

Where abouts are you? Maybe you can find a friendly 'bent rider to let you have a go. (3
wheels is good)

SW (Kent)

news:[email protected]...

Gareth Crawshaw wrote:

> Interesting point... I think (given that the response has brought back some very pro 'bent remarks
> (see, I'm even getting the lingo!) ;-) I just gotta try one... perhaps it's one of those things...
> horses for courses. A road bike for your traditional timed rides

Only if you're competing in a time trial that requires a UCI or similar compliant upright. If you're
just timing yourself there's no reason not to use a 'bent. Did you know that the hour record for a
fully faired 'bent is almost 30% better than the "official" UCI one? Fastest a bike has been on the
level without drafting is 81 mph, again held by a faired recumbent bike. Best UK end to end time is
on a Windcheetah trike at 41 hrs 4 minutes.

> recumbent for the leisurely (or not-so depending on your mood) touring

There are a wide variety of 'bent designs: they don't just do touring. Where traditional uprights
excel is for "one bike fits all" designs, but there are sporty models, very sporty lowracers,
transcontinental tourers, city bikes and so on in the recumbent lineup.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

On Thu, 01 May 2003 10:09:34 +0100, Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Best UK end to end time is on a Windcheetah trike at 41 hrs 4 minutes.

Stone me! Is that 41hrs all in one hit or spread over a few days?

--
DG

Bah!

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> There are a wide variety of 'bent designs: they don't just do touring. Where traditional uprights
> excel is for "one bike fits all" designs, but there are sporty models, very sporty lowracers,
> transcontinental tourers, city bikes and so on in the recumbent lineup.

A year ago he bought the cheapest mountain bike the local sports centre had to offer, and now you're
all luring him over to the dark side. Bastards! :)

--
Dave...

Dave Kahn wrote:

> A year ago he bought the cheapest mountain bike the local sports centre had to offer, and now
> you're all luring him over to the dark side. Bastards! :)

No worse than luring down the other expensive routes available, and at least this way he gets a
comfy chair! ;-)

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Disgruntled Goat <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Thu, 01 May 2003 10:09:34 +0100, Peter Clinch
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Best UK end to end time is on a Windcheetah trike at 41 hrs 4 minutes.
>
> Stone me! Is that 41hrs all in one hit or spread over a few days?

One hit. Start at LE, finish at JOG 41 hours and 4 minutes later.

--
Dave...

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Did you know that the hour record for a fully faired 'bent is almost 30% better than the
>"official" UCI one?

Forget that - Rob English on his homebrewed 20lb recumbent beat the entire national pursuit
championship team on their "uprighty track irons" [(c) Dave Larrington] last week :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Dave Kahn wrote:

> One hit. Start at LE, finish at JOG 41 hours and 4 minutes later.

Not *quite* non-stop though. Pause for a broken axle to be repaired, and IIRC a quick massage at a
couple of scheduled stops. There's some spiel on it at the Windcheetah site:
http://www.windcheetah.co.uk/ follow into "background" and then "record breaking".

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Dave Kahn wrote:
>
> > One hit. Start at LE, finish at JOG 41 hours and 4 minutes later.
>
> Not *quite* non-stop though. Pause for a broken axle to be repaired, and IIRC a quick massage at a
> couple of scheduled stops. There's some spiel on it at the Windcheetah site:
> http://www.windcheetah.co.uk/ follow into "background" and then "record breaking".

He'd have to be superhuman to JOGLE without stopping! He could stop as often as he liked but the
clock kept going.

--
Dave...

On 2 May 2003 07:19:09 -0700, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:

>Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> Dave Kahn wrote:
>>
>> > One hit. Start at LE, finish at JOG 41 hours and 4 minutes later.
>>
>> Not *quite* non-stop though. Pause for a broken axle to be repaired, and IIRC a quick massage at
>> a couple of scheduled stops. There's some spiel on it at the Windcheetah site:
>> http://www.windcheetah.co.uk/ follow into "background" and then "record breaking".

<trundles off to read details, picks jaw up off floor>

>He'd have to be superhuman to JOGLE without stopping! He could stop as often as he liked but the
>clock kept going.

That's still very seriously impressive. And he reckons he can do a 36-hour time in ideal weather
conditions. Amazing. SWMBO reckons she be pushed to drive it in that time!

--
DG

Bah!