Opinions wanted - best entry level full suspension.

xraydoc

Sep 22, 2003
I am looking to replace my hardtail with a full suspension bike. Wanting to spend $900-1200 and was looking for some opinions.

I have been looking at the:
Giant NRS 3
Cannondale Jekyll 400
Specialized FSR XC.

Are there other options I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

If you insist on not building your own bike, go for a Kona. Better yet, go ro JensonUSA and buy a Tomac 98 Special for $1149.

Hello, I've just bought my first on a limited budget as well, after trying many, many Full Susp MTB.....I went with Cannondale's 2004 model Jekyll 400. It rode better than all of the other bikes I've tried and has better front and rear shocks for the price range than the others (I think).
Those that I tried being Trek's 2003 Fuel 80 (a rear triangle that WILL eventually break), Specialized 2003 Rockhopper FSR Comp (great components but terrible suspension bob and saddle), Giant's 2004 NRS (not a bad bike but not as nice of a ride), Cannondale's 2003 Jekyll 400 (not a bad bike but not as nice of a ride with the coil spring rear shock).
For a first timer and for the money, I think the '04 Jekyll is the way to go. Like the Specialized, the hubs are setup for disc brakes if and when you may want to upgrade. It adds a little weight now but will save you big later. Also, the rear shock on the 400 is now air with a lock-out and rebound adjustment (not much bob here).
All I can say is, TEST RIDE AS MANY AS POSSIBLE! Also, take my comments and apply them to your test riding experiences and buy what fits you. Recommendations are great but everybodies different.
Good Luck!

Definitely check out a Fisher Sugar. I think the Sugar 4 is in your range. My first was a Sugar 3, bought after three days of research and test rides. Two and half years and six-seven thousand miles later, I've been nothing but happy with the decision.

Someone above mentioned that the rear triangle of a Fuel 80 will break; the Fuel and the Sugar are quite similar, and in fact my rear triangle DID break (dude, I cracked a FRAME!). Fisher warranteed it without hassle and in fact replaced the whole frame with the top-of-the-line Sugar Team Issue.

I don't hink that's an argument in favor, necessarily, but I'd highly reccommend a test ride on a Sugar (or a Cake, which is replacing it) before you buy.

Good luck!

I too have been looking for a entry level FS bike... after doing some heavy research/reading, my conclusion is that FS bike that's less than $1000 is just plain old too heavy for any use besides downhill free ride. Ever followed someone up a hill in a Mongoose from the sports authority? :)

I saw some good sales on 03 Trek Liquid 20, something like $1500, which is a very good deal. (I think it was at Richard's bike or something like that) Or look into a Liquid 10 for something a bit cheaper.

If you are really serious, look other than the choices you have already made...previous post says it all....less than 1500 retail and you get lead bullion on 2 wheels....keep your hardtail and worry about riding bikes instead of looking for miracles

Don't be discouraged by naysayers! Take your time and ride a bunch of bikes. You WILL come across something. You'll know when you ride it. I'd hesitate spending that much unless you love the feel. But, be ready to pull the trigger ASAP. Chances are there are probably a few other guys and girls out there making the rounds and looking for their next bike. Good deals don't usually last long if they are really good deals. I was in the same boat last spring and happened upon my Rocky Mountain Slayer sitting around from the year before, and generously marked down for some crazy reason. Last season's bikes may be something to look into. Winter is a great time to buy because shops want your business and will work with you sometimes. If you are set in stone on your budget, go ride a couple more expensive bikes and see if you may want to save a little longer for the next level. That is what I did, and although my ride was on the pricy side, the balance, solid quality construction, smooth riding and boost to my enthusiasm has got me riding more and it was well worth it. As much as I'd love to be Zen about it and not get pumped over material possessions, a new dream bike was just the thing to get me really psyched about riding again. Don't let the decision process keep you from getting out and enjoying a great ride on a new bike.

Try www.jamisbikes.com, they've got some cheapish XC hardtails.
But if I were you, I'd go for Cannondale, you might not get the top quality components/drivetrain, but you do get a excellent frame, hand welded.

Jamis has some very good entry level FS bikes that are actually pretty damn good. Their warranty is usually pretty IF you can manage to get a hold of someone at Jamis and that can be the tricky part.
Of your choices the NRS will have the harshest ride. I honestly don't like this bikes unless their purpose is primarily racing. The Jekyll is a pretty solid all around bike that should work great. My favorite choice would have to be the FSR, I still think the 4 bar/horst link (FSR) style suspension is the best all around suspension design for a good multipurpose bike.

Thanks for everyone's input. I ended up buying a 2003 demo model Specialized Epic Disk for $1500 that seemed to really fit my riding style. The bike was essentially new so I felt like it was a really good deal.

Happing Riding.