Opinions Wanted: Building up a new bike

> So looking into things a bit closer it seems the Chorus isn't offered in a triple; Only Record or
> Centaur. To go triple you need either pay the price for a Record BB and cranks OR go to Centaur.
> I've heard that for most things centaur isn't much different than Chorus BUT the BB is an
> exception. I hear the Chorus and Record BB is much smoother and lighter than Centaur.

no question: record. my bike is a mix of everything from ultegra to centaur to chorus, but when it
came time to make a decision on the crankset: record. and i'm not going to even pretend i made a
careful, rational decision about it. they're just flat-out gorgeous.

hg

Brad-<< I hear the Chorus and Record BB is much smoother and lighter than Centaur.

Lighter certainly-288grams for Centaur, 233 for Chorus triple, 198 for Record, but not smoother. The
AC-H is a very smooth BB. Remember 90 grams is 3 ounces tho-not much..

On 31 May 2003 12:34:13 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

>Probably but the cranks won't be 'centered' on the frameset, as the Chorus/Record triple BB are not
>symmetric...

How uncentered is a Record triple on a Centaur 111?

On 29 May 2003 19:36:16 -0700, [email protected] (Brad) wrote:

>Paul,
>
>But that setup seems to sacrifice my high end. The 13/29 was just for hills. On my more normal
>rides I often get spun out at 12/53. Ideally if I stuck with a double I would like more range on
>both the top and the bottom. Is there a way to setup the crank with something like 53/34 and run
>an 11/23?

Spun out? a 53/12 yields 35mph at 100 rpm, and 28 at 80 rpm. Pretty fast to still be pedaling.

Thanks for all the informative replies. I'm still trying to work things out.

One question I have is related to the rear deraileur. Besides needing a medium or long cage is there
any difference between a double and triple rear deraileur? I've seen separate prices for the triple
record rear deraileur but I expect its just a long cage. Is there a long cage Chorus version?

Basically I'm leaning towards all Chorus with the record cranks and front deraileur.

"Brad" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Thanks for all the informative replies. I'm still trying to work things out.
>
> One question I have is related to the rear deraileur. Besides needing a medium or long cage is
> there any difference between a double and triple rear deraileur? I've seen separate prices for the
> triple record rear deraileur but I expect its just a long cage. Is there a long cage Chorus
> version?

A short cage derailer is generally for double cranks. Long cages are for triples. "Medium" cages are
'tweeners that serve no good purpose except Campagnolo says you need one to run a 29T cog on a
double setup. Shimano also offers a slightly shorter than long cage mtb derailer.

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]>

> Basically I'm leaning towards all Chorus with the record cranks and front deraileur.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for thier suggestions.

After I got over the sticker shock I went ahead and splurged.

I purchased a mix of chorus and record parts to build up a triple. The deraileurs and cranks are
record. Everything else chorus. Well almost everything. I picked up a Chris King headset and am
having CXP33 rims built up with 32 spoke 14/15 spikes.

I'm getting very excited out this. I went ahead and got the kit from Gvh as Gary was about the only
person who answered email questions in a timely manner and he also has great prices. The kit should
ship next week so within a few weeks I'll know how this all turns out...

Brad