Opinions?

chodadog

May 30, 2006
I'm looking to buy a road bike this coming weekend. Basically, i'm after something with 105 componentry and the top of the list at the moment is the Giant OCR 1.0

I've had a ride on my brother's Specialized (don't know what model exactly) and was very impressed with the frame. I'm a pretty big guy (6'3), so frames tend to be a bit shakey when i ride, but i didn't have any problems with the Specialized. Going to take a test ride on the OCR 1.0 sometime this week.

It's priced at AU$1600. I was just wondering what other bikes are out there for a similar price that compare? I've noticed similarly priced Specialized bikes seem to all have lower quality componentry.

Is the Giant OCR 1.0 the best bang for your buck 10 speed 105 road bike around at the moment?

chodadog said:
I'm looking to buy a road bike this coming weekend. Basically, i'm after something with 105 componentry and the top of the list at the moment is the Giant OCR 1.0

I've had a ride on my brother's Specialized (don't know what model exactly) and was very impressed with the frame. I'm a pretty big guy (6'3), so frames tend to be a bit shakey when i ride, but i didn't have any problems with the Specialized. Going to take a test ride on the OCR 1.0 sometime this week.

It's priced at AU$1600. I was just wondering what other bikes are out there for a similar price that compare? I've noticed similarly priced Specialized bikes seem to all have lower quality componentry.

Is the Giant OCR 1.0 the best bang for your buck 10 speed 105 road bike around at the moment?

My guess is that you rode the Specialized Roubaix. If so, take a serious look at it. It's a do-it-all bike that seems to fit tall riders especially well. I've never met a Roubaix rider who didn't love his bike.

bernmart said:
My guess is that you rode the Specialized Roubaix. If so, take a serious look at it. It's a do-it-all bike that seems to fit tall riders especially well. I've never met a Roubaix rider who didn't love his bike.
I'll give my brother a call soon and find out exactly what model he has. Currently, the Specialized i'm looking at is the Allez Elite. It's on sale for AU$1999 down from AU$2599. This will be my first road bike, so apologies for my ignorance, but is there really a great deal of difference between a 105 9 speed and a 105 10 speed? The Allez only has the 9 speed. Here's the specs of the OCR 1.0 and the Allez Elite.

Giant OCR 1.0 (AU$1600, apparently down from AU$2000)

frame: ALUXX SL alloy: FluidFormed; composite rear end
fork: Composite blade, 1 1/8th alloy ahead steerer
headset: Cane Creek sealed and integrated
front derailleur: Shimano 105 10sp
rear derailleur: Shimano 105 10sp
crankset/bottom bracket: FSA Gossamer 10sp MegaExo crank/BB 34x50T
shifters/brake levers: Shimano 105 STI 20 sp
cassette: Shimano 105 10sp 12-25T
chain: Shimano 105 10sp
wheelset: Shimano R550 16/20H
tyres: Michelin Dynamic 700 x 23c
brakes: Tektro alloy dual pivot
pedals: Shimano R540 SPD-SL clipless
h.bar: FSA Wing 305 31.8mm
stem: FSA 150XT alloy 31.8mm
seat post: C Tech composite 27.2
saddle: Velo w/composite base, gel, cut-out & cr-mo rail
grips: Velo cork gel

Specialized Allez Elite (AU$1999, down from AU$2599)

FRAME: Specialized E5, fully manipulated Columbus SLX tubing, compact race geometry
FORK: Specialized FACT monocoque carbon fork legs, crown, and steerer with Zertz inserts
HEADSET: Specialized Mindset, 1 1/8" integrated threadless, sealed cartridge bearings, carbon 20mm cone with two 5mm alloy spacers
STEM: Specialized Pro, 3D forged alloy, 31.8mm bar clamp, 4- position adjustable
HANDLEBARS: Specialized Zertz Comp handlebar, racing drop, 31.8 clamp
TAPE: Body Geometry Bar Phat, cork ribbon w/2.5mm gel padding
FRONT BRAKE: Dual pivot, forged alloy, with cartridge multi-condition pads
REAR BRAKE: Dual pivot, forged alloy, with cartridge multi-condition pads
BRAKE LEVERS: Shimano 105, 9-speed, STI, flight deck compatible
FRONT DERAILLEUR: Shimano 105, 9-speed, 31.8mm clamp, bottom pull
REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano 105, 9-speed, short cage
SHIFT LEVERS: Shimano 105, 9-speed, STI, flight deck compatible
CASSETTE: Shimano HG50, 12-25t
CHAIN: Shimano HG73, 9-speed
CRANKSET: Sugino Direct Drive, 2-piece crankset
CHAINRINGS: 53x39T
BOTTOM BRACKET: Sugino integrated, exterior cartridge bearings, alloy
PEDALS: Composite-body test ride pedals
RIMS: Alex ALX 298, alloy double wall rim, machined sidewalls
FRONT HUB: Alex ALX 298, 20 hole, QR
REAR HUB: Alex ALX 298, 24 hole, aluminum freehub body, four cartridge bearings, QR
SPOKES: Stainless 14g aero
FRONT TIRE: Specialized Mondo Pro, 700x23C, aramid bead, 120TPI
REAR TIRE: Specialized Mondo Pro, 700x23C, aramid bead, 120TPI
TUBES: Specialized standard presta tube, 0.9mm thickness
SADDLE: Body Geometry Avatar, microfiber cover, gel padding
SEAT POST: Specialized Pavé II FACT carbon seatpost with Zertz insert, aluminum head, 27.2mm
SEAT BINDER: Specialized, forged/CNC, double wedge