Opportunity and training advice questions (Long - sorry)

nonns

Jul 10, 2006
Hi folks,

A seed was planted in my mind yestreday by a work colleague. I was invited to joing a bunch of elite UK vets who are intending to go on a trip to do the Tour of Flanders Cyclo in 2008 and then watch the race. I was thrilled to be asked especially by such a classy rider. He knows I used to cycle and that I'm interested in cycling. I'm desperately keen to do this but there is a minor issue.

1) I have not been on a road bike (or any bike) in yearsand don't have a bike now.
2) I am 39 years old. I'm about 5ft 7.5" and weigh around 188Ibs. Up until 3 weeks ago I hadn't done any exercise (at any level) at all in years.
3) I decided around 3 weeks ago that I wanted to drop my weight down to around 165 Ibs. According to a set of Tanita body composition scales my 10%body fat weight is around 166.7Ibs.
4) I started exercising on a rowing machine (I am undergoing a small diet (not much of a calorie deficit from a normal AMR (Active metabolic rate) for someone of my weight and size. I am now at the stage that I'm capable of rowing for 2 hrs at a stretch with some sprint bursts but am nmto that powerful. I have years of doing no exercises so am a bit feak and weeble.
I am prepared to suffer for the cause. If I have a goal I will stick to it.
5) I have dropped 11.4Ibs since I started 3 weeks ago and am starting to see some posture and muscle changes. I know I don't want to stop.

To do the Tour of Flanders cyclo with these guys I have to be able to ride a significiant distance at a reasonable speed. I don't want to do the macho thing and be faster than they are but I do want to be able to keep up. I have no idea what speed they will ride it but I assume somewhere around 20-25 mph (am guessing around 23mph).

I have till Friday to make a decision as to whether to do it.
I have 8 months to get fit approximately (though will probably have 3 weeks out for holidays)
I need to buy a decent bike
I need to get cycling specific training done.

Q1: Is it possible to raise myself to the level required in the time (From scratch to quality level amateur cyclist)? Is this goal possible or am I completely mad to even consider it?
Q2: What sort of training and training progression would you suggest? I get the impression that to achieve what is required (Speed and stamina) in the time will take some fairly targeted training but base miles are also required
Q3: What sort of road bike would you recommend (type/budget/manufacturer). I haven't decided on a budget but the machine is likely to have to take some fairly high mileage. It might subsequently be used for racing. If I choose to do this and I succeed then I will take up racing again. Money is no real object but I don't want to be stupid about it.

Many thank in advance

nonns said:
Q1: Is it possible to raise myself to the level required in the time (From scratch to quality level amateur cyclist)? Is this goal possible or am I completely mad to even consider it?
That depends on a lot of factors (mostly the ability to train consistently and enough) but assuming you are in reasonable health and have the time and determination to work hard enough, you could obtain the fitness required to enjoy the tour in that time frame.
nonns said:
Q2: What sort of training and training progression would you suggest? I get the impression that to achieve what is required (Speed and stamina) in the time will take some fairly targeted training but base miles are also required
I'd recommend getting a coach to help guide you and make the progression as effectively as possible with the specific goal of making the tour in great shape. There are some other factors to consider such as skills and other experience to ensure safe riding.
nonns said:
Q3: What sort of road bike would you recommend (type/budget/manufacturer). I haven't decided on a budget but the machine is likely to have to take some fairly high mileage. It might subsequently be used for racing. If I choose to do this and I succeed then I will take up racing again. Money is no real object but I don't want to be stupid about it.
The best bike is the one that fits you properly, no matter what the price. An expensive exotic bike is useless if you can't ride comfortably. I would recommend seeing a professional bike fitter first, before choosing a frame.

Also, for touring in hilly country, esp as a beginner, you may want to consider gearing choices suitable for that, e.g. a triple chainring rather than the double chainrings common on race bikes. The gearing can be changed later for when you take on racing, although there's nothing to stop you racing a good triple crankset.

Yo ho thanks for a very prompt reply. Your time is much appreciated.

Alex Simmons said:
That depends on a lot of factors (mostly the ability to train consistently and enough)

That's one of my questions. Define consistent.. 7 days a week. 6 days a week. 2 hrs a day. 3 hrs a day. I hold down a full time job in the city working long hrs. If I radically reorganise my life I might get a max of 3 hrs a day during the week and a bit longer at weekends. At the moment I'm nowhere near fit enough to spend 2.5 hrs a day on bike anyway. I suspect 10 miles will be a stretch (30Kms on a rowing machine proves I have a little bit of stamina and am getting fitter but...)

I'd recommend getting a coach to help guide you and make the progression as effectively as possible with the specific goal of making the tour in great shape.

I have lots of experience from a previsou life and have a motorbike license so am savvy from a road sense poitn of view. Bike control is probably no longer what it was :->

Also, for touring in hilly country, esp as a beginner, you may want to consider gearing choices suitable for that, e.g. a triple chainring rather than the double chainrings common on race bikes. The gearing can be changed later for when you take on racing, although there's nothing to stop you racing a good triple crankset.
Any idea what I should look to spend. In the UK I can get an all carbon fibre bike with |Shimano ultegra for around £2k to train on and ride and race on (is this overkill?). getting myself measured is no problem at all. I have a LBS (pro bike shop not 2 miles away with a bike fitting rig)

Like I said the trouble is the guys who have invited me are all elite level veterans (they can push out 25+ mph plus for an hour plus). If I do this I will be getting on a bike for the first time in years. I need to keep up even if I can't lead them. I don't want to spoil their fun. I am assuming that there average for a sporting ride will be lower (not least cos its a lot further).

Basically I need a bit of speed as well as stamina and thats what I was concerned about.

nonns said:

Any idea what I should look to spend. In the UK I can get an all carbon fibre bike with |Shimano ultegra for around £2k to train on and ride and race on (is this overkill?). getting myself measured is no problem at all. I have a LBS (pro bike shop not 2 miles away with a bike fitting rig)

Like I said the trouble is the guys who have invited me are all elite level veterans (they can push out 25+ mph plus for an hour plus). If I do this I will be getting on a bike for the first time in years. I need to keep up even if I can't lead them. I don't want to spoil their fun. I am assuming that there average for a sporting ride will be lower (not least cos its a lot further).

Basically I need a bit of speed as well as stamina and thats what I was concerned about.
Spend enough to get quality that fits and will last the journey. 2k sounds OK to me. As you progress, your bike fit will change, so you'll need some flexibility with that. e.g. over time you'll probably drop the bars a bit, maybe raise saddle slightly or move it back a tad.

You'll also need money for all the rest (clothes, helmet, shoes etc). But recommend budgeting for coaching and even a power meter if you really want to get speed endurance in the most time effective manner.

As for speed, if they want to ride fast, then you can save plenty of energy by sitting in their draft. On climbs, faster riders should wait at the top for everyone. If they are inviting you, then they have a responsibility to ride taking into account the weakest rider, whomever that might be. They can blast up the hills when they like and come back down again if they really want to go hard.

I strongly agree with Alex's comments about budgeting for a coach for this "project", especially in these circumstances.

I'd also suggest obtaining a copy of Joe Friel's The Cyclist's Training Bible. It will help fill in all the bits around the edges, including diet and the need for adequate rest and recovery. It will arm you with the knowledge you need to avoid overtraining, which is a real risk in cycling as it can be very addictive. :eek:

In this forum, or the power forum, there might have been someone's story about preparation and ride of the Tour de Flanders cyclotouristique. Might give some indications what kind of training has been used as race specific.

j.r.hawkins said:
I'd also suggest obtaining a copy of Joe Friel's The Cyclist's Training Bible. It will help fill in all the bits around the edges, including diet

I would *strongly* suggest avoiding the book, or at the very least the nutrition/diet section, which is total rubbish. The UK version of the book carries (or at least used to last year) a warning about the diet section and any lack of evidence to support it.

ric

The big issue is the time involved in preparing. Eight months means that it can be done. But you will have to invest most of your waking, non-working hours to accomplish this.

nonns said:

Could you do a similar sort of pace to them when you used to cycle and were fit? If not it's going to be a tall order to get to that level in the time available - or at all. Yes, they will very likely average slower, but I'd expect they will push it on climbs etc. and it could be a very miserable experience trying to keep up.

If you are prepared to start together, ride at your own pace (alone if necessary, or with similar ability groups) and then meet up at the finish then it's a different story - I'd say go for it. Buy a reasonable bike, get a coach and start training!

Neil