Opt in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Colin Blackburn

I just got an odd email, shown below. The reason I post it here is that the To: line had ten email
addresses one of which was Myra's, the other eight I didn't recognise. I assume the usual sort of
shenanigans, but did wonder if urc posters had been targeted specifically, anyone else get one?

Colin

To: ****** From: Opt-In List <[email protected]> Subject: Opt-In List Removal Notification (VERIFY) Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 21:48:59 -0600 X-DurhamAcUk-MailScanner: Found to be clean
X-DurhamAcUk-MailScanner-SpamScore: ssssss

You are receiving this email as a notification that you have been removed from our mailing list, as
per your request. Thank you for your patronage and we hope that you will reconsider re-joining our
list in the future.

Opt-In List Staff

Colin Blackburn wrote:
> I just got an odd email, shown below. The reason I post it here is that the To: line had ten email
> addresses one of which was Myra's, the other eight I didn't recognise.

[email protected] ? Don't you recognize that? I mean, I've been away a long time, but...

Harumph. Everybody ignores me. I noticed you.

Ambrose

> I assume the usual sort of shenanigans, but did wonder if urc posters had been targeted
> specifically, anyone else get one?
>
> Colin
>
>
> To: ****** From: Opt-In List <[email protected]> Subject: Opt-In List Removal Notification (VERIFY)
> Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 21:48:59 -0600 X-DurhamAcUk-MailScanner: Found to be clean
> X-DurhamAcUk-MailScanner-SpamScore: ssssss
>
>
> You are receiving this email as a notification that you have been removed from our mailing list,
> as per your request. Thank you for your patronage and we hope that you will reconsider re-joining
> our list in the future.
>
> Opt-In List Staff

Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:
> I just got an odd email, shown below. The reason I post it here is that the To: line had ten email
> addresses one of which was Myra's, the other eight I didn't recognise. I assume the usual sort of
> shenanigans, but did wonder if urc posters had been targeted specifically, anyone else get one?
Yep - got shitcanned with all the rest of the spam. It's a novel ruse, mind - send someone an
email saying that they've been removed from some list or other, they reply saying something like
'what have I been removed from' and *bam!* let the spam fest begin.

Simon
--
Simon Ward, Accent Optical Technologies (UK) Ltd., York, YO31 8SD, UK "Perl is the ideal tool for
the inspired slacker who'd rather sing and dance than spend longer than they need to at work ..."
- http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/12/18/hohoho.html

Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote
> addresses one of which was Myra's, the other eight I didn't recognise. I assume the usual sort of
> shenanigans, but did wonder if urc posters had been targeted specifically, anyone else get one?

I noticed this, recognized your name but no one else's, and though "Great, whatever list I've been
eliminated from, so much the better!"

>> It's a novel ruse, mind - send someone an email saying that
they've been
>> removed from some list or other, they reply saying something like
'what have
>> I been removed from' and *bam!* let the spam fest begin.
>
> I guessed that that was the ploy, so I used Myra's address to reply ;-)

Ha! I'll get revenge, somehow... I'm sure there must be a ****-email-a-minute list around somewhere
that I can sign you up to.

-Myra

Simon Ward wrote:
> Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I just got an odd email, shown below. The reason I post it here is that the To: line had ten email
>>addresses one of which was Myra's, the other eight I didn't recognise. I assume the usual sort of
>>shenanigans, but did wonder if urc posters had been targeted specifically, anyone else get one?
>
> Yep - got shitcanned with all the rest of the spam. It's a novel ruse, mind - send someone an
> email saying that they've been removed from some list or other, they reply saying something like
> 'what have I been removed from' and *bam!* let the spam fest begin.

I guessed that that was the ploy, so I used Myra's address to reply ;-)

Colin

"Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Colin Blackburn wrote:
> > I just got an odd email, shown below. The reason I post it here is that the To: line had ten
> > email addresses one of which was Myra's, the other eight I didn't recognise.
>
> [email protected] ? Don't you recognize that? I mean, I've been away a long time, but...

I've got the email. No-one I recognise, but seems to have bike shop email addresses

"Myra VanInwegen" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Ha! I'll get revenge, somehow... I'm sure there must be a ****-email-a-minute list around
> somewhere that I can sign you up to.

Revenge?

Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
> Colin Blackburn wrote:
>
>>I just got an odd email, shown below. The reason I post it here is that the To: line had ten email
>>addresses one of which was Myra's, the other eight I didn't recognise.
>
>
> [email protected] ? Don't you recognize that? I mean, I've been away a long time, but...
>
> Harumph. Everybody ignores me. I noticed you.

I didn't even see this follow-up until WK followed up your post. Just who are you anyway?

Colin

>Ha! I'll get revenge, somehow... I'm sure there must be a ****-email-a-minute list around somewhere
>that I can sign you up to.

Well Myra, if it's one where it's jpgs of the blokes here in nothing but their cycle shorts - sign
me up! ;-)

Cheers, helen s:)

~~~~~~~~~~
Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending a reply!

Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
~~~~~~~~~~

Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<MPG.189f2816b15d2ac998971d@localhost>...
>
> Colin
>
snipety snip

Yup I got it too.

wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Well Myra, if it's one where it's jpgs of the blokes here in nothing but their cycle shorts - sign
> me up! ;-)
>

Trust me that's something you don't want to see ;-)

Tony

http://www.raven-family.com

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
Bernard Shaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.