Optima headset troubles

Ernie Daniel

Guest
I have an Optima Baron with only 27 miles on it. The headset has been adjusted 5 times. It has been
taken apart twice to check for broken parts. This is the needle bearing headset that sits on a
shallow taper. When the bearings get just a little loose, the headset will slide on the taper
approx. 1/8 of an inch in any direction. It has been adjusted to Optima's suggested torque. Anybody
have any problem with the headset? If so, how did you fix it?

Ernie Daniel <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have an Optima Baron with only 27 miles on it. The headset has been adjusted 5 times. It has
> been taken apart twice to check for broken parts. This is the needle bearing headset that sits on
> a shallow taper. When the bearings get just a little loose, the headset will slide on the taper
> approx. 1/8 of an inch in any direction. It has been adjusted to Optima's suggested torque.
> Anybody have any problem with the headset? If so, how did you fix it?

Ernie, This is a common problem on the Baron. There is nothing wrong with the headset. The problem
is that the star nut inside the steerer tube is not locked in. If you keep trying to adjust the
headset, you will eventually draw the star nut right out of the steerer tube. The best cure I know
of is the Azonic Headlock System. It is a long allen bolt/cap with a special nut, and it runs all
the way through the stem, headtube, and fork, eliminating the need for a star nut inside the steerer
tube. You can purchase one from Price Point...look under "headsets". http://www.pricepoint.com/ Here
is a pic of the Headlock System http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/1335702.jpg

Don

[email protected] (Don Smith) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Ernie Daniel <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I have an Optima Baron with only 27 miles on it. The headset has been adjusted 5 times. It has
>> been taken apart twice to check for broken parts. This is the needle bearing headset that sits on
>> a shallow taper. When the bearings get just a little loose, the headset will slide on the taper
>> approx. 1/8 of an inch in any direction. It has been adjusted to Optima's suggested torque.
>> Anybody have any problem with the headset? If so, how did you fix it?
>
> Ernie, This is a common problem on the Baron. There is nothing wrong with the headset. The problem
> is that the star nut inside the steerer tube is not locked in. If you keep trying to adjust the
> headset, you will eventually draw the star nut right out of the steerer tube. The best cure I know
> of is the Azonic Headlock System. It is a long allen bolt/cap with a special nut, and it runs all
> the way through the stem, headtube, and fork, eliminating the need for a star nut inside the
> steerer tube. You can purchase one from Price Point...look under "headsets".
> http://www.pricepoint.com/ Here is a pic of the Headlock System
> http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/1335702.jpg
>
> Don

There is an item that MAY work that is far cheaper, and I suspect lighter weight. It is made by
Modus,model MX-6. It amounts to a huge aluminum expansion plug that tightens with a socket head
screw, thus eliminating the questionable "star fangled nut". They are about U$5 at the local bike
shop. As I said, this may work in your application. I have one I'm using in a trike.

happy trails, rorschandt