Optimal Tire Pressure for Studded Tires (nokian HAKKA WXC300)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by HKEK, Dec 26, 2004.

  1. HKEK

    HKEK Guest

    Is there an effect of tire pressure on loss/retention of studs? I
    understand that it is not unusual to lose studs, this information is
    from the Nokian website:

    "You still might loose couple of studs during the normal use due to
    great friction, but that won't effect tyre performance."

    If I want to minimize loss of studs, should I run high pressure, low
    pressure, something in mid-range, or is there no effect of pressure? --
    Thanks!

    Tags:

  2. On 26 Dec 2004 13:35:20 -0800, "HKEK" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Is there an effect of tire pressure on loss/retention of studs?

    the studs do not go thru the tire body.. so no loss of air from the
    lost stud holes.

    >If I want to minimize loss of studs, should I run high pressure, low
    >pressure, something in mid-range, or is there no effect of pressure? --

    first.. make sure you "break in" the tires... the specs say to ride
    30km on roads to "set the studs".

    Then the tire pressure one rides with is dependent upon the
    conditions. ..
    On frozen ponds and stream beds, I use about 30 psi. On snowy single
    track I run about 20psi. in deep snow conditions I run 10psi.

    I run with extra wide rims ( 44cm) so you may not be able to run with
    the ultra low pressures without pinch flatting and cutting the
    sidewalls.

    When it comes to losing studs.. it is usually the back wheel.. and
    usually when riding on rocky surfaces with lots of torque. The nokian
    extremes are not as susceptible to stud loss. I ran them for over 3
    years and only lost 10-12.. whereas with WXC 300's with the aluminum
    jackets, I lost over 20 the first year I ran them. many spots with 4
    in a row missing.

    charlieb in ct

    charlieb in ct.

    >Thanks!

  3. HKEK

    HKEK Guest

    These are my first studded tires and I like them, I did some road miles
    with them and then I hit the smooth ice. I put a lot of air in them
    (~60 PSI) as they are rather narrow and I thought the studs would be
    less likely to pull out.

    My understanding is that studs are lost under high braking conditions
    on rock. I would imagine that studs might be lost when the tire gets
    pinched between rocks. Is this accurate?

    I wanted light weight tires, but I also wanted tungsten carbide studs
    and a high number of studs.

    Seems that there could be a whole range of designs with the stud
    variables (number, jacket material, length) and tire construction
    (armid bead, wire bead, skin wall, protected wall). Due to the cost, I
    was hoping that these would last a lifetime. However, I like them so
    much that I actually look forward to the time when I get my next set,
    although I hoping for a few seasons and maybe a 1000 trail miles per
    set.

    Can lost stud be replaced?

    Thanks!

    --

    > first.. make sure you "break in" the tires... the specs say to ride
    > 30km on roads to "set the studs".
    >
    > Then the tire pressure one rides with is dependent upon the
    > conditions. ..
    > On frozen ponds and stream beds, I use about 30 psi. On snowy single
    > track I run about 20psi. in deep snow conditions I run 10psi.
    >
    > I run with extra wide rims ( 44cm) so you may not be able to run with
    > the ultra low pressures without pinch flatting and cutting the
    > sidewalls.
    >
    > When it comes to losing studs.. it is usually the back wheel.. and
    > usually when riding on rocky surfaces with lots of torque. The nokian
    > extremes are not as susceptible to stud loss. I ran them for over 3
    > years and only lost 10-12.. whereas with WXC 300's with the aluminum
    > jackets, I lost over 20 the first year I ran them. many spots with 4
    > in a row missing.
    >
    > charlieb in ct
    >
    > charlieb in ct.
    >
    > >Thanks!

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    -snip-
    HKEK wrote:
    -snip-
    > Can lost stud be replaced?

    Yes, most places that sell the tires have extra studs (we
    have 'em in various styles/counts). The tires are molded
    with extra holes so you can either add more studs, replace
    lost ones or add a new sharper row after your first studs
    are worn.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  5. On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:23:31 -0600, A Muzi <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Yes, most places that sell the tires have extra studs (we
    >have 'em in various styles/counts).

    do you have replacement studs for wxc300's? How does one insert a
    replacement stud into an existing hole that once held a stud?

    after 4 rides, i'm already missing 20 studs.. My previous wxc300 rear
    tire was missing 25% of the studs after one season... I don't seem to
    have this problem with extermes.

    charlie

  6. HKEK

    HKEK Guest

    OUCH!-OUCH!-OUCH!

    I just took a look at my tires. After 1 snow ride of 7 miles: 1 stud
    missing form the front and 22 studs missing from the rear. That really
    SUCKS! At $125 per tire, I expect more. At that rate, these tires
    should be good for about 100 miles and all the stud could be gone.

    Al, can you quote me a price on some replacement studs.
    Charlie, what tires do you recommend?
    Nokian, you will be hearing from me.

    Charles Beristain wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:23:31 -0600, A Muzi <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >Yes, most places that sell the tires have extra studs (we
    > >have 'em in various styles/counts).

    > do you have replacement studs for wxc300's? How does one insert a
    > replacement stud into an existing hole that once held a stud?
    >
    > after 4 rides, i'm already missing 20 studs.. My previous wxc300 rear
    > tire was missing 25% of the studs after one season... I don't seem to
    > have this problem with extermes.
    >
    > charlie

  7. HKEK

    HKEK Guest

    OUCH!-OUCH!-OUCH!

    I just took a look at my tires. After the first snow ride (7 miles), 1
    stud is missing from the front and 22 studs are missing from the rear!
    That really SUCKS! And I was taking it easy because I was concerned
    about losing studs.

    At $125 per tire, I expect more. At that rate, these tires should be
    good for about 100 miles and all the studs could be gone.

    Andrew, can you quote me a price on some replacement studs?
    Charlie, what other tires would you recommend?
    Nokian, you will be hearing from me.