Optimum BMI and stuff

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Risto Varanka, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Tags:

  2. Danny Callen

    Danny Callen Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Average BMI for TDF riders was 21.4701 ( http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/1998/feb98/feb6.html
    > ). My xcalc says 21.469 for me. Does that mean my body mass is optimized for something very much
    > like TDF? :)
    >
    > What is the optimal BMI for cyclists? Or body fat percentage? Why don't they measure muscle mass
    > percentage?
    >
    > --
    > Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/ varis at no spam please iki fi

    The best measure for a cyclist is who gets to the finish line first.

    Danny Callen

  3. Canuck

    Canuck Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Average BMI for TDF riders was 21.4701 ( http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/1998/feb98/feb6.html
    > ). My xcalc says 21.469 for me. Does that mean my body mass is optimized for something very much
    > like TDF? :)
    >
    > What is the optimal BMI for cyclists? Or body fat percentage? Why don't they measure muscle mass
    > percentage?
    >
    > --
    > Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/ varis at no spam please iki fi

    Lanois posted this earlier today:

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/1998/feb98/feb6.html

    Average BMI for 1997 TdF starters was 21.4701.

    If you're a North American Masters Crit rider, you might be able to get away with a BMI of 30 and
    not be too out of place.