Optimum duration for LSD rides?

Originally Posted by An old Guy .

More importantly is that everyone does not respond the same to the same type of workout.

Some people can do HITs and never improve. Others people can do long rides at low lower intensity and improve.

It seems that genetics determines how one responds to a specific training plan.
What areas will people improve by doing low intensity exercise?

Originally Posted by tomw1974 .

The ability to ride slow.
Yeah, but to be fair to AOG (weird as that may be) he described HIIT vs going 'slower' for longer distances which is valid and is the basis of LSD and what most Europro racers have done for a century or more to lay the base for long hard races and grand tours. If you've got the time and lifestyle, it's hard to beat a steady diet of long rides for building basic fitness but for many amateurs that's a tall order and you can't really fake it with just a couple of long weekend rides and then sitting behind a desk all week. So SST based plans find a blend and HIIT based plans try to really squeeze a lot out of not much time on the bike.

Seems like our troll is in the 'hey I'm reasonable' phase but really that post is pretty much saying the sky is blue. It boils down to 'different riders respond best to different training approaches' and there is no 'one size fits all' way to train. Yeah no kidding? Wish some of the coaches on the boards that work with individual clients had thought of that.

-Dave

I have seen volumes of misinterpretation of wives tales +/- scienctific data, by many people, for many reasons. The article to which you referred is a perfect illustation of this. I think oxygen is not stored in muscles; but, even if it is, why do I care how much "oxygen is stored in (my) muscles."?

I think oxygen is very temporary and merely carried (by red blood cells) rather than stOred anywhere in the body. If you doubt this, go into an oxygen-free zone and see how long your "muscles' oxygen stores" last.

I'm Not Sure what your goals are, and, take no responsibility for your interpretation +/- results of application of any reply I give; but/ so, here it is anyway:

We find that continuous aerobic exercise in excess of 75 minutes begins to result in increased red blood cell creation/ volume, and also increased capillary bed depth.

Stimulative beneftis of aerobic volume should be calculated as cumulative during any rolling 24 -hour period. (Example: If training for what is likely to be a 12 hour event and volume the weekend previous is to be 14 hours, one could very safely do 8hr saturday afternoon + 6hr sunday morning, to total 14.

Some other pertanant facts:

Increases of capillary bed depth are PERMANANT.

Without stimulated regeneration, red blood cell mass begins to drop at about 5 days; after 10 days it's back to what it had been 10 days previous.

Overtraining leads to under-performance. The way to lose weight is abstenance from overeating, not overtraining.

Of course, your musculo-skeleton must facilitate and endure the event in which you're participating; so, aerobic volume should be developed as event-specifically as possible.

I can't stress enough, the usefulness of a heart rate monitor worn during all training. The way to improve performance is through appropriate amounts of event-specific training, IN THE RIGHT ZONES.

Originally Posted
..One goal of training is to increase the ability to train. A goal of the guy training 500 hours is to be able to train 800 hours...

-------------------

Training to be able to train more would be like blowing your nose to be able to blow your nose more.

Originally Posted by ambal

What areas will people improve by doing low intensity exercise?
My (corrected) comment was "long rides at lower intensity"

Those improve your ability to do longer rides. And improve your ability to do more frequent rides.

Originally Posted by daveryanwyoming

Seems like our troll is in the 'hey I'm reasonable' phase but really that post is pretty much saying the sky is blue. It boils down to 'different riders respond best to different training approaches' and there is no 'one size fits all' way to train. Yeah no kidding? Wish some of the coaches on the boards that work with individual clients had thought of that.
There is a very wise scientist in England. He can tell how well an individual is going to respond to HITs by giving a genetic test. His results can be verified by doing a performance test, doing HITs for a month, and then doing a performance test.

I expect every coach does a genetic test to determine what type of training an individual should do and what results that individual should get. I expect every coach puts it in writing. Am I wrong?

Overall, I really don't care what coaches do. If someone is willing to pay me to follow a coach's instructions, I will do so. But I don't expect that to happen.