Optimum Nutrition 2:1:1 Recovery... Thoughts?

slickfast

Sep 26, 2010
Hey guys,

So I've been training for a 12.4 mile TT and a 1/4 mile TT, and along with my training plan I've been using BioRhythm's Afterglow as was recommended to me by the guy at a nutrition store after hearing what I was doing (I know... probably not a good idea). It was pretty 'spensive at $37 for the 2.12 lb bottle. Seemed to work great though.

After running out of that stuff I was in a rush and went to GNC, unlike the privately owned shop I went to before. I looked around and found this: Optimum Nutrition 2:1:1 Recovery. After reading on here about having a 3:1 or 2:1 ratio of carb to protein I thought this was worth a shot. I just started using it, and I think it works just as well as the last stuff. This is to say I never have an ounce of soreness after a hard ride the day before. It was slightly cheaper at $50 for the 3.73 lb bottle (about twice as many servings as my BioRhythm bottle).

What do you guys think? Good stuff? Bad stuff? Never heard of it? Recovery drinks are stupid?

I recover a lot quicker with 50 bucks in my wallet. Dont waste your money on any of this baloney. I have a golden rule if they sell it at GNC I dont need it. Eat right and get enough sleep.

Well I do eat a complex carb, high protein diet and I keep my metabolism going with a meal everything 3 hours. I probably get a small amount of sleep compared to most people at 4-5 hours a night, I can't really help that without sacrificing grades. Shrug. I wish it wasn't the case, but that's my life right now. Even so, I don't know if I could do without the supplements given a normal amount of sleep, as i found out during thanksgiving vacation.

So has anyone heard about this product? Is it even on the map of actually legitimate supplements?

I have not heard of that product but can say that supplements although not needed do help. I always use Hammer products they are expensive but they are also the best.

Hope this helps

Originally Posted by slickfast .

Well I do eat a complex carb, high protein diet and I keep my metabolism going with a meal everything 3 hours. I probably get a small amount of sleep compared to most people at 4-5 hours a night, I can't really help that without sacrificing grades. Shrug. I wish it wasn't the case, but that's my life right now. Even so, I don't know if I could do without the supplements given a normal amount of sleep, as i found out during thanksgiving vacation.

So has anyone heard about this product? Is it even on the map of actually legitimate supplements?
I agree with the first reply. I used to be anal about the recovery drink - Having 60g of carbs and 20g of protein while sacrificing a goat to appease the gods..... But these days I just fuel right during the ride, and if I feel I need it I will have a banana after. Just eat right and you'll be fine. Spend the $50 on a present for your mother.

It's a good protein as it provides sugars, protein and carbs for in good ratios. Sugars are important after strenuous activity as your muscles have a sugar deficiency after physical activity. Protein helps with the recover of the muscles. The carbs help refuel the body and energy.

ON is a reputable company that makes different kinds of products. They have the best value for most the comparable products. Protein shouldn't really exceed 30g per intake as most are about this and the ON product usually gets you the most protein per scoop.

Careful of the 'good' tasting proteins like Muscle Milk as they have MSG. Protein shakes don't have to taste well, its about the effect it will have.

Originally Posted by slickfast .

Thanks for the thorough reply /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

I've recently switched to lowfat chocolate milk after running out of my barrel of ON, but I've kind of thinking I'm going to pick up another jug because my legs have been feeling pretty worn out. I never, ever worry about how the stuff tastes... I hate when people review a drink by saying how good/bad it tastes. It's about OUTPUT. Anyways, what you've said validates a lot of the research I've done, and I'm grateful for that. Lowfat choco-milk is actually great after distance rides, but I've found that if doing workouts where I'm really tearing muscle, I still want to grab the recovery stuff with that extra protein.

Originally Posted by CoWee .

It's a good protein as it provides sugars, protein and carbs for in good ratios. Sugars are important after strenuous activity as your muscles have a sugar deficiency after physical activity. Protein helps with the recover of the muscles. The carbs help refuel the body and energy.

ON is a reputable company that makes different kinds of products. They have the best value for most the comparable products. Protein shouldn't really exceed 30g per intake as most are about this and the ON product usually gets you the most protein per scoop.

Careful of the 'good' tasting proteins like Muscle Milk as they have MSG. Protein shakes don't have to taste well, its about the effect it will have.

Slickfast, What training are you doing? The effort that you're recovering from pretty much dictates what you need (or possibly don't need) to eat/drink after the session.