Optimum Performance

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Al Kubeluis, Feb 5, 2003.

  1. Al Kubeluis

    Al Kubeluis Guest

    Hi Cyclists, For many of us, going fast is a big part of the fun of biking and part of a personal
    test of performance. Performance is both relative and absolute. Relative to oneself and competitors.
    Absolute to speed in a setting. We look to improve performance by conditioning and equipment.
    Conditioning is easier when one likes the conditioning methods used. Biking is just plain fun and my
    favorite way to improve conditioning. But no one way is sufficient. We must mix in other forms of
    exercise for general muscle strengthening and flexibility. Equipment is the easy part, since we just
    buy or build or trade. Optimum performance is a personal mix of conditioning and equipment to
    achieve personal goals, I think, while having fun usually and pain occasionally.
    ~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.universe..corsa~~~

    Tags:

  2. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    I came to cycling from rock climbing, skiing, winter mountaineering, racing sports cars and sailing.
    One common thread is 'going fast is going as fast as one can'. 100 mph in a Formula-Vee is FAST.
    Seven knots in a 25 foot sail boat is FAST. 25 mph on a loaded tourer is FAST.

    "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Cyclists, For many of us, going fast is a big part of the fun of biking and part of a personal
    > test of performance. Performance is both relative and absolute. Relative to oneself and
    > competitors. Absolute to speed in a setting. We look to improve performance by conditioning and
    > equipment. Conditioning is easier when one likes the conditioning methods used. Biking is just
    > plain fun and my favorite way to improve conditioning. But
    no
    > one way is sufficient. We must mix in other forms of exercise for general muscle strengthening and
    > flexibility. Equipment is the easy part, since we just buy or build or trade. Optimum performance
    > is a personal mix of conditioning and equipment to achieve personal goals, I think, while having
    > fun usually and pain occasionally. ~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.universe..corsa~~~

  3. I agree Al. Hence the reason I do a 40 min (Daily) workout on a Healthrider and stationary
    recumbent, with 10 lb. weights strapped to my lower legs. This along with (Finally) GOOD Eating
    habits and the cycling, has brought me to a weight, I had back in my early 20's. (168 lbs) LIFE IS
    GOOD! EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti, Tailwind and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)