Optygen?

shming123

May 1, 2004
Has anyone tried First endurance Optygen? Its suppose to raise VO2Max and stuff like that. All info welcome.

Ok, thanks. Well from what I can tell on this forum, you sound like you really know what you're talking about. Do you know of anything that help or benefit me? (I am a semi-pro cyclist, and unable to train for 4-6 weeks because of foot surgery...so far its only been 10 days and miserable.)

Anything to help reduce fitness loss?

Thanks.

shming123 said:
In the short term you could try an arm bike. Fitness centers that do cardiac rehab will tend to have one. In a pinch you could use a rower without using your legs (be careful not to bear weight on the bad foot). Once the incision has adequately healed there is always swimming.

shming123 said:
Ok, thanks. Well from what I can tell on this forum, you sound like you really know what you're talking about. Do you know of anything that help or benefit me? (I am a semi-pro cyclist, and unable to train for 4-6 weeks because of foot surgery...so far its only been 10 days and miserable.)

Thanks.

any exercise that uses either your upper body or just your good leg/foot. You coould try pedalling with just your good leg? Obviously, in the end decisions on exercise should be made by your medical team.

As regards supplements, none of them are going to help reduce your fitness loss. There are a variety of ergogenic aids that do work, but usually only act over a short term basis.

Hope you heal quickly.
Ric

ric_stern/RST said:
any exercise that uses either your upper body or just your good leg/foot. You coould try pedalling with just your good leg? Obviously, in the end decisions on exercise should be made by your medical team.

As regards supplements, none of them are going to help reduce your fitness loss. There are a variety of ergogenic aids that do work, but usually only act over a short term basis.

Hope you heal quickly.
Ric

Well hopefully I'll be able to swim in 2 weeks or so. I would do some spinning on one leg, but this past winter I had a little imbalance between legs. (Surgery is on left foot) My left leg was slightly weaker, so even if I don't have an imbalance now, I'd rather not create one and go through that again.

shming123 said:
Has anyone tried First endurance Optygen? Its suppose to raise VO2Max and stuff like that. All info welcome.
Hi,i have been using Optygen for about 3 years ,but only for racing ,i beleive it work well for me .In long climbs a can eare the riders next to me or behind me breving a lot harder than me . But dont take my word for it , try it during a group ride & see what you have experience .(I only start taking Optygen the day before the race). I also use 2 other product that i have fond work well for me:) : "Race caps and Anti-fatigue caps " from ( WWW.e-caps.com). have fun & ride hard :p Musher

Optygen - I smell placebo effect. The ingredients have not been shown to improve VO2 max or other fitness parameters.

musher said:
Hi,i have been using Optygen for about 3 years ,but only for racing ,i beleive it work well for me .In long climbs a can eare the riders next to me or behind me breving a lot harder than me . But dont take my word for it , try it during a group ride & see what you have experience .(I only start taking Optygen the day before the race). I also use 2 other product that i have fond work well for me:) : "Race caps and Anti-fatigue caps " from ( WWW.e-caps.com). have fun & ride hard :p Musher

I tried it briefly, but it seemed to cause me to feel out of sorts. Kind of like I feel when I have too many energy drinks - sketchy?

I stopped taking it at that point. I felt worse on the stuff, possibly due to the "load dosage" period. ?