Orange Patriot suspension upgrade

OrangePatriot

Oct 13, 2004
Hey gang, I'm hoping someone can help me with this.

I have a 2002 Orange Patriot XC (14" frame) with a RockShox SID XC Lockout.

Since the shock is now 5 years old, I'm thinking I should be able to improve on its performance for not much $$$. The shock still works ok but it's certainly not impervious to pedal-induced bob, and to be honest, reaching down to faff about with the lockout lever is more trouble than it's worth. I guess I'm looking for something a bit more advanced, but I can't afford cutting-edge.

Anyway, my main problem is that I don't know much about shocks and the little bit of research I've done has revealed that there are a multitude of different sizes/lengths available. I have checked Orange's web site and also the original docs that came with my bike, but I have no idea what size/length I need. If anyone knows the reqs for my bike, or how I need to measure the shock I have, it'd be much appreciated.

Also any suggestions for a replacement shock would be great. If you know the bike, you'll know that there's not a lot of room to squeeze the shock into, especially as it's a 14" frame. For this reason I *think* that coils and external chambers are probably out, but if you know otherwise, please let me know!

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any advice!

Oh and I should add that I'm 5ft4, 150lbs, and not into hardcore DH or FR. Too old for that!!

Measure the shock from the center of each mount on each end. This is your eye-to-eye lenght. You will also need the shock stroke lenght...I think this is the amount of shock protruding from the end but I am not sure. This is usually selected specifically for the frame.