Orbea Larrau

dennydug

Dec 8, 2013
Hey Guys, Got this from a friend but I want to give him something for it - any ideas on how old it is or what it's actually worth? He's giving nothing away and I don't want to go too crazy without knowing something about it Thanks

12+ years old ...
  • ~ $350 +/- ... Some people would NOT pay anything close to that for the bike ...
Nonetheless, the bike (as pictured) could possibly be worth more despite the Shimano SORA (?) shifters.

It's a pretty generic made-in-Taiwan aluminum frame with a Spanish brand with 8-speed Sora, and it doesn't look like it's been maintained or tuned for the hand-off. $250 will preserve the friendship and not leave you feeling high and dry.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
It's a pretty generic made-in-Taiwan aluminum frame with a Spanish brand with 8-speed Sora, and it doesn't look like it's been maintained or tuned for the hand-off. $250 will preserve the friendship and not leave you feeling high and dry.
FWIW. As a non-sponsored rider, I feel that if a frame isn't new-or-vintage steel then it may as well be generic made-in-Taiwan aluminum ...

Why pay more?!?

I wasn't trying to be a snob, I was looking out for the OP's fiduciary interests. It's a 12-year old entry-level road bike with entry level components.

What would you pay for a 12-year-old Trek 1000?

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
I wasn't trying to be a snob, I was looking out for the OP's fiduciary interests. It's a 12-year old entry-level road bike with entry level components.

What would you pay for a 12-year-old Trek 1000?
I did NOT think that you were trying to be a snob ...

I was just wanted to note that aluminum (in particular) & steel frames are more than adequate for most of us ...

BTW. Although the pulleys show a lot of wear, I don't quite know how you could tell the condition of the bike at the "hand-off" based on the picture!

As far as a 12 year old Trek 1000 (presuming the frame is the right size for the rider AND the condition is subjectively good-to-very-good) ...

• frame-and-fork (+ headset) ... $100 +/-
  • wheels/tires ... $60+
  • non-shifter components (derailleurs/cassette/handlebar/saddle/seatpost/etc.) ... $120 +/-
  • SORA shifters ... $65+ (which would be sold on eBay & replaced with a set of 10-speed Campagnolo shifters!!!)

So, that's roughly $345 ...

If the pedals AND shoes were included, then that could certainly be another $50+ ...

Now, I realize that the DEALER COST could have been OR was probably as-low-as-or-lower-than $350 for the bike when it was new, but most of us don't have the luxury of paying only the dealer cost ...

so, I hope you will grant that your perspective is different, and vice-versa.

Originally Posted by alfeng
I was just wanted to note that aluminum (in particular) & steel frames are more than adequate for most of us ...
We're somewhat in agreement here. I wouldn't even consider buying a used 12-year-old carbon frame. We agree that this is a decent bike in need of a happy rider and some TLC. The rest is just money.