Orbea Onix, Look 555 or Giant TCR

tthomlaw

Jun 8, 2005
In my search for a new frame, I have narrowed my selection down to the Orbea Onix, Look 555 or Giant TCR. I am 5"8 145 and I am looking for an all around bike. I do the occasional road race and also do some longer distance riding (125+ miles). Any recommendations. Thanks

tthomlaw said:
In my search for a new frame, I have narrowed my selection down to the Orbea Onix, Look 555 or Giant TCR. I am 5"8 145 and I am looking for an all around bike. I do the occasional road race and also do some longer distance riding (125+ miles). Any recommendations. Thanks
I bought a Giant TCR 2 Composite in July - and I am VERY pleased with it. The ride / handling are fantastic..it is light and very responsive. I've gone on several 4-hour rides and I have been amazed how good I feel. The harshness and vibration I have come to expect are simply NOT there. In addiiton, I found the bike to be an excellent value with the 10-speed Ultegra group. Get the Giant.

tthomlaw said:
I'm assuming you've ridden these bikes and found the fit to be very good with each of them.

So my advice is to go with the Orbea, since I own one also. The Look and Giant owners will beg to differ.

Any other information you could give us to help us to help you decide would be appreciated. All three are great bikes.

Get what feels/looks good to you. It is difficult, at best, to go off of someone else's recommendation. I too looked at the Orbea and the Giant before I went carbon. Got the Giant because of the value and I like the way it looks. Should you get the Giant because I got the Giant? I dunno, but I didn't ride the Orbea because they don't come in my size (well, not the model I was eyeing). The bike shop could get the "right" size Giant and I ended up with that: TCR 2 Composite. I love the bike. I did change the saddle, wheels, pedals before I even got on the bike.

Saddle I changed because of roadbikereview recommendations. Pedals I changed to Look because my other bike has Look pedals, wheels, I changed .. from reading some review. I also worked on the engine too, by the way. I eventually changed the stem to something I liked better (longer) based on my riding style, arm length and flexibility. I now really really love the Giant. My guess is that the Orbea would have felt the same way; So would a Trek or carbon model XYZ, if I had gotten one of those.

Point here is for you to read reviews, then go test the bikes out for yourself and see how you feel about the bike AND these reviews. Then make your decision.

FrankBattle said:
Point here is for you to read reviews, then go test the bikes out for yourself and see how you feel about the bike AND these reviews. Then make your decision.

I agree. You need to make a decision based on testing the bikes for fit and feel. You may also want to consider the Cannondale Six Thirteen. Rides very nice as well.