Orbea Opal sizing question

msander19

Aug 25, 2006
I have a question for anyone with an Opal or those familiar with Orbea's geometry. I'm 6'0, 180lbs with a 36"/90cm inseam. I'm trying to determine which would be the appropriate frame size for me. I've heard varying things about how their frames actually fit so I thought I would try and get advice from people who have gone through the process. Thanks for your help and advice.

EDIT: Here are all my measurements (in cm/in) from Wrench Science. I did do these myself, and tried to be very careful, however, if something seems way off, I'll try to remeasure.

Height: 193/77.2

Sternum notch: 149/59.6

Inseam Length: 90.7/36.3

Arm Length: 59.5/23.8

Shoulder Width: 40/16

Weight: 182 lbs

And here is what the website said...

Handlebar Width: 40

Overal Reach: 62.9

Frame Size: 59/61

Recommended Saddle Height: 80.09

Also, I saw this on a website which seemed kind of strange:

Years ago bicycle frames were built pretty much square. A 54 cm frame measured from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube was also close to being 54 cm across the top. This top tube was also level to the ground. Not any more...
If you have watched any race coverage the last few years, you may have noticed that racers are riding with seat posts way out of their frames and that the top tube slants downward. Welcome to the world of sloping top tube, compact geometry, semi sloping.All different terms for basically the same thing - the top tube is far from level.What is the advantage ? Less tubing cuts weight, tighter rear triangle improves climbing with less flex.
Now the hard part. At a Trek factory tour some years ago, the Production Manager who was also the tour leader that day, explained that 40% of the frames they sell are 54 and 56 cm. Almost half the market is 5' 7" to 5' 11", weighs about 150-160 lbs and wears a size 9-10 shoe. This is the typical rider profile, a "true medium".So when this cyclist is ready for a new bike after riding a level top tube model for many years, what is the correct compact size?
To compute the top tube length on a sloping top tube geometry, the only accurate way is to hold a level at the middle of the head tube, swing the level up the seat post till it is exactly horizontal and measure.Orbea bicycles are a bit long like a lot of modern geometries. A 51 cm Orbea has the same top tube measurement as most 54-55 cm frames and is considered the true medium size.
One of our locals is Jeremy Powers, currently ranked one of the top cyclo cross riders in the world and races professionally for Team Jelly Belly, sponsored by Orbea Bicycles. He is 5'11'',all legs, and rides a 54 cm.
The following is a reference chart and by no means cut and dry. Everyone is built differently but perhaps this will help based on our years of selling these bicycles.

Up to 5'4" 48 cm
5'5" to 5'10" 51 cm
5'11" to 6' 2" 54 cm
6' 3" to 6'6" 57 cm
NBA Players 60 cm

msander19 said:
I have a question for anyone with an Opal or those familiar with Orbea's geometry. I'm 6'0, 180lbs with a 36"/90cm inseam. I'm trying to determine which would be the appropriate frame size for me. I've heard varying things about how their frames actually fit so I thought I would try and get advice from people who have gone through the process. Thanks for your help and advice.

EDIT: Here are all my measurements (in cm/in) from Wrench Science. I did do these myself, and tried to be very careful, however, if something seems way off, I'll try to remeasure.

Height: 193/77.2

Sternum notch: 149/59.6

Inseam Length: 90.7/36.3

Arm Length: 59.5/23.8

Shoulder Width: 40/16

Overal Reach: 62.9

PLEASE IGNORE THE MEASUREMENTS IN THE FIRST POST. The correct ones are below.

Height: 183/72.0

Sternum notch: 149/58.7

Inseam Length: 90.7/35.7

Arm Length: 71.00/28.0

Shoulder Width: 42/16.5

Overall Reach: 68.65

msander19 said:
This just seems strange since all the measurements are the same....
C-C measurement doesn't make sense anymore because tube diameters are so irregular. Hell, even the idea of tube diameter doesn't make sense because so few frames use round tubes anymore. In the old days of steel, you added 1.5 cm to the C-C dimension to get C-T. Nowadays, maybe you just need to take matters into your own hands and take your own measurements.

Regardless, the 60 is going to be too long in the top tube, and the 54 will likely be too short in the head and top tubes, unless you want to flip a 13 or 14 cm stem. From your dimensions I'd say try the 57 with an 11 or 12 cm extension and 175 mm cranks. If you can't get the handlebars high enough with this size, look to a manufacturer that tends to build with shorter top tubes, such as Kuota.