ORBEA sizing

Merlot

Jun 12, 2013
Just been to my local bike store interested in the Orbea Onix. I'm about six foot one and a half so assumed I would be a size 60 frame however the person in the shop suggested I go for the 57 which seems small. She said Orbea bikes have a different geometry and that would be a better fit. I really want the Orbea as due to lack of stock they're offering me an Onix bike with Orca frame for Onix price.

Can anyone comment on Orbea sizing - does a size 57 for my size seem reasonable - thhink my inseam is 54...

Mnay thanks

Let's see, depending on the Orca frame model searched... The 57 has a 57 top tube. I'm 6' 1" and that would work for me with a 110 or 120 stem. Your lower back flexibility and torso/arm length needs to fit the bill though. I actually prefer a 56 TT with a 120 or130 stem. Just my fit preference with 73.5° angles.

The 185 head tube is plenty tall. Depending on the position on the bike you're shooting for...that's up there. My last 57 had a 170 head tube and getting my front body low enough was just barely achieved with a slammed stem and shallow drop bars were out. I'm currently riding a 160 head tube and feel like I'm in a better position up front.

73.2° parallel angles look good for that size. Pretty standard. Not slack. Not crit vertical.

A friend just sold his three or four year old Orca. He has 30+ years racing experience under his belt and always *****ed about it being too flexible and it was about a 55 CM frame. I have no clue how the newer Orca's ride. I assume there is some inter-model differences in layup and fit.

FWIW, Orbea's height chart (only a starting point/rough guide) put's you on a 57.

DO go for a long test ride. Long. Two water bottle's worth minimum. Climb and turn. Sprint and descend. If you get off the bike feeling like Sammy Sanchez...buy it.