Orbea Vuelta vs. Kestrel Talon vs. Cervelo Team Soloist

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by LBCBJ, Jul 14, 2007.

1. LBCBJ

LBCBJ New Member

I'm brand new to biking, know little to nothing about bikes, and am looking at purchasing a bike in the next few weeks in the $1500 - $2000 range. These three bikes are stocked by my LBS and fall within my price range, so I was hoping to gather some opinions on the Orbea Vuelta, the Kestrel Talon, and the Cervelo Soloist Team. I'll be joing my University's Cycling Club in the fall, which rides around 150 miles a week and participates in races throughout the year. I'm 6'0'' 185lbs. Thanks for your input.

Brent

Tags:

2. ilmooz

ilmooz New Member

I'm 6'1" & 220 lbs. so I can attest to the strength of Kestrel's frame. Even when pedaling hard in or out of the saddle I notice no flex in the frame or fork. It rides well, steers quick, and I'm comfortable on it so I'm very happy with it.

I have no experience with the Orbea or Cervelo bikes you mentioned, however I would rule out the Vuelta based on its components as compared to the Talon's setup. I also prefer the Talon's full carbon frame over the Orbea's aluminum/carbon mix.

I've heard nothing but good things about Cervelos so I'd narrow your choice down to the Soloist or Talon. Ideally, if you can test ride each that should help you choose correctly between the two or move on to something else.

3. LBCBJ

LBCBJ New Member

ilmooz, thanks for the post. You're the first Kestrel rider I've heard from, so it's good to hear a positive review on that bike. I was concerned about my weight's affect on the all-carbon frame, so I'm glad to hear that you've have no issues with flexing. I think I've basically ruled out the Vuelta like you suggested, as it is a slightly lower-grade bike. So, I've now narrowed it down to the Kestrel Talon, a Cervelo, or a Bianchi 928 carbon. Hopefully I can keep the checkbook out of this one...