Ordered my Hydrogen Hummer!

crit pro wrote:

> Best of BOTH worlds. Estimated January Delivery.
>
> cp

Seriously? Hadn't heard about a Hydrogen Hummer, but wacky enough to be
true.

Remember the Hindenburg!
Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

Steve wrote:

> On 10/23/04 8:00 AM, in article [email protected], "Mark &
> Steven Bornfeld DDS" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>crit pro wrote:
>>

>>>Best of BOTH worlds. Estimated January Delivery.
>>>
>>>cp

>>Seriously? Hadn't heard about a Hydrogen Hummer, but wacky enough to be
>>true.
>>
>>Remember the Hindenburg!
>>Steve

> http://www.hfcletter.com/pub/XIX_1/stories/65-1.html

Hmmm. Gives new meaning to the phrase "car bomb".
I assume (seriously) that they've got the safety angle worked out.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 11:57:15 -0400, Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hmmm. Gives new meaning to the phrase "car bomb".
> I assume (seriously) that they've got the safety angle worked out.
>
>Steve

Think fuel cell, uh, it's not about the explosive aspect, it's that they
are still using the excess hydrogen from processing fossil fuels, not
alternative energy production of hydrogen. The goal is not independence
from oil, but to "grow our natural gas business" as they themselves admit.

I just googled:

http://www.tfproject.org/tfp/archive/index.php/t-8056.html

-B

Badger South wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 11:57:15 -0400, Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Hmmm. Gives new meaning to the phrase "car bomb".
>> I assume (seriously) that they've got the safety angle worked out.
>>
>>Steve

> Think fuel cell, uh, it's not about the explosive aspect, it's that they
> are still using the excess hydrogen from processing fossil fuels, not
> alternative energy production of hydrogen. The goal is not independence
> from oil, but to "grow our natural gas business" as they themselves admit.
>
> I just googled:
>
> http://www.tfproject.org/tfp/archive/index.php/t-8056.html
>
> -B

Interesting link--particularly the supplies.
Time for me to check up on how fuel cells actually work--I'd assume
there is still free hydrogen there. I remember how they scare you about
the order you put your jumper wires on. ;-)

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

[email protected] (crit pro) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Best of BOTH worlds. Estimated January Delivery.
>
> cp

So you're going to burn water instead of oil and somehow
that's better?

Not to mention that you need A LOT of electricity,
usually from nuclear power plant, to pull the hydrogen
atoms from the H2O...

Hydrogen power is about as phony as the people who drive Hummers
so I guess that it was invetable that we would see a hydrogen
powered Hummer.

[email protected] (crit pro) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Best of BOTH worlds. Estimated January Delivery.
>
> cp

So you're going to burn water instead of oil and somehow
that's better?

Not to mention that you need A LOT of electricity,
usually from nuclear power plant, to pull the hydrogen
atoms from the H2O...

Hydrogen power is about as phony as the people who drive Hummers
so I guess that it was invetable that we would see a hydrogen
powered Hummer.

[email protected] (crit pro) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Best of BOTH worlds. Estimated January Delivery.
>
> cp

So you're going to burn water instead of oil and somehow
that's better?

Not to mention that you need A LOT of electricity,
usually from nuclear power plant, to pull the hydrogen
atoms from the H2O...

Hydrogen power is about as phony as the people who drive Hummers
so I guess that it was invetable that we would see a hydrogen
powered Hummer.

Just ride your bike, dude. That's what I do, everyday I leave the house.

"CowPunk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (crit pro) wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > Best of BOTH worlds. Estimated January Delivery.
> >
> > cp

> So you're going to burn water instead of oil and somehow
> that's better?
>
> Not to mention that you need A LOT of electricity,
> usually from nuclear power plant, to pull the hydrogen
> atoms from the H2O...
>
> Hydrogen power is about as phony as the people who drive Hummers
> so I guess that it was invetable that we would see a hydrogen
> powered Hummer.

I know you protest EPO use, but does that apply to EPO sales? That's one
hell of a ride you're buying...I didn't think D3 criterium professionals
made that sort of money. Pssstt, I could use some EPO and steroids this
summer so I can lap the crit field in Richardson and win a pair of tires.

"crit pro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Best of BOTH worlds. Estimated January Delivery.
>
> cp

In article <[email protected]>,
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS <[email protected]> wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>
> > On 10/23/04 8:00 AM, in article [email protected], "Mark &
> > Steven Bornfeld DDS" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>Seriously? Hadn't heard about a Hydrogen Hummer, but wacky enough to be
> >>true.
> >>
> >>Remember the Hindenburg!
> >>Steve

> > http://www.hfcletter.com/pub/XIX_1/stories/65-1.html

> Hmmm. Gives new meaning to the phrase "car bomb".
> I assume (seriously) that they've got the safety angle worked out.
>
> Steve

You worry too much. If this Hummer's gas tank consisted of a large
volume of gas in a fragile, flammable envelope the size of a townhouse
complex, I might see your point.

Hydrogen, in a conventional compressed-gas cylinder, is about as
dangerous as natural gas, propane, or gasoline. Probably more dangerous
than diesel, except that diesel claims a fair number of casualties each
year by being spilled on the road and wiping out cyclists and
motorcyclists (it's slippery and doesn't evaporate quickly).

Stuff can go wrong with any of these fuel sources, but hydrogen has a
lot to recommend it from a safety viewpoint. When a tank is ruptured,
gasoline both puddles and vaporizes. Propane (and CNG?) is heavier than
air, so it pools around the rupture point. But hydrogen, once it
escapes, goes up and away as fast as it possibly can.

Locally, there are a fair number of CNG and propane powered cars rolling
around the roads, and they don't seem to blow up very often.

--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> You worry too much.

In a nutshell, yes. Ask my wife.

If this Hummer's gas tank consisted of a large
> volume of gas in a fragile, flammable envelope the size of a townhouse
> complex, I might see your point.
>
> Hydrogen, in a conventional compressed-gas cylinder, is about as
> dangerous as natural gas, propane, or gasoline. Probably more dangerous
> than diesel, except that diesel claims a fair number of casualties each
> year by being spilled on the road and wiping out cyclists and
> motorcyclists (it's slippery and doesn't evaporate quickly).
>
> Stuff can go wrong with any of these fuel sources, but hydrogen has a
> lot to recommend it from a safety viewpoint. When a tank is ruptured,
> gasoline both puddles and vaporizes. Propane (and CNG?) is heavier than
> air, so it pools around the rupture point. But hydrogen, once it
> escapes, goes up and away as fast as it possibly can.
>
> Locally, there are a fair number of CNG and propane powered cars rolling
> around the roads, and they don't seem to blow up very often.

Good point. I'll have to look and see if there are any safety figures
about these vehicles when they are involved in accidents.

Steve

Sierraman wrote:

> $?

Are you inquiring about the price or the exit status ?

I'm sure this is a troll but...

I fail to see why someone who is interested in road cycling would purchase
one of the UNWIELDIEST and "W I D E S T" cars on the market. Forget about
how they are powered, these things are a menace to cyclists everywhere.

-Bob

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:05:50 -0400, "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I fail to see why someone who is interested in road cycling would purchase
>one of the UNWIELDIEST and "W I D E S T" cars on the market. Forget about
>how they are powered, these things are a menace to cyclists everywhere.

Imagine the drama of having one as a support vehicle at the Tour or,
better yet, the Vuelta...

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...