Ordering from ProBikeKit

Powerful Pete

May 29, 2004
Hello there everyone. I am considering ordering a Campagnolo Chorus crankset from probikekit. I am aware that they are a reputable store that apparently few have a problem with.

Can someone explain the entire concept that they seem to have about running good prices on items which appear to never be in stock? I have been checking out their prices on the Chorus Compact cranks, that are an excellent deal at 185.00 Euro. Of course, it would be better if I could buy a set! :mad:

I had the same problem with some tyres.

Lets face it, if you can't sell somebody something, you still don't want them to buy it else where. So you show them what a great deal if they were to wait, and wait, and wait, til they can buy it from you.

In the end we nreally needed to buy some stuff so I bought a different brand, but they sure had us on a string.......

My business ethics say that if you list a price for it, you need to at least have an order you are waiting to be filled in the near future, and that you haven't presold everything from the next batch.

Powerful Pete said:
Hello there everyone. I am considering ordering a Campagnolo Chorus crankset from probikekit. I am aware that they are a reputable store that apparently few have a problem with.

Can someone explain the entire concept that they seem to have about running good prices on items which appear to never be in stock? I have been checking out their prices on the Chorus Compact cranks, that are an excellent deal at 185.00 Euro. Of course, it would be better if I could buy a set! :mad:
I guess they have a huge turn-over.

I've never had that prob. If they haven't had something in, I've never waited for more than a week or two.

You can always try parker or chainreaction.

Both are a little more pricey (so is the post) but their range is greater with few stock holes. But, I guess that is the trade off.

Scotty

I have had pretty good luck with BikeNashbar even though they are higher than PBK. I don't think that they deal internationally though. I only had one problem with them and it was on some spokes that I had ordered. They were out of stock so I waited for nearly a month and then bought some locally at almost double the price. I e-mailed Nashbar to cancel the order. Nearly six months after the order had been placed, they called to tell me that the spokes had arrived and asked me if I still wanted them. It was nice of them to call, but six months is a ridiculous amount of time to wait for spokes.

Phill P said:
I had the same problem with some tyres.

Lets face it, if you can't sell somebody something, you still don't want them to buy it else where. So you show them what a great deal if they were to wait, and wait, and wait, til they can buy it from you.

In the end we nreally needed to buy some stuff so I bought a different brand, but they sure had us on a string.......

My business ethics say that if you list a price for it, you need to at least have an order you are waiting to be filled in the near future, and that you haven't presold everything from the next batch.
I guess you are right. They are hoping I will continue to hang around and wait for them to re-stock... but I do not really need the crankset, although I am willing to part with my cash should they be willing to sell it to me for 185 odd Euro... :)

scotty72 said:
I guess they have a huge turn-over.

I've never had that prob. If they haven't had something in, I've never waited for more than a week or two.
There are certain things that they list at insane prices but never have, such as some of the Cycleops trainers. I wouldn't be surprised if they have started to run into some problems with their suppliers, as the other wholesale customers must be complaining bitterly.

You can get into trouble for refusing to supply somebody because they sell at low prices. Once you have started to supply somebody very legally tricky to dump them because of below RRP prices.

We had a clothing company here get into trouble because they were inforcing the RRP too much. Got fined and they had to post a half page advert appoligising and reminding others of the evil nature of price colluding.

artemidorus said:
There are certain things that they list at insane prices but never have, such as some of the Cycleops trainers. I wouldn't be surprised if they have started to run into some problems with their suppliers, as the other wholesale customers must be complaining bitterly.
Good point. That may be part of the problem... suppliers choosing not to... supply them.

Also, I just read a rumour that there may be changes to Campagnolo's ultra-torque cranks, so it may be a blessing in disguise. I think I will wait to see if the UTs change at all, and pick up a 2008 for less when that happens!

Powerful Pete said:

Easy to list low prices on things you don't have..makes ya look like the 'place to shop'..

Phill P said:
You can get into trouble for refusing to supply somebody because they sell at low prices. Once you have started to supply somebody very legally tricky to dump them because of below RRP prices.

We had a clothing company here get into trouble because they were inforcing the RRP too much. Got fined and they had to post a half page advert appoligising and reminding others of the evil nature of price colluding.

Altho price fixing is illegal, refuding to supply a retailer is completely at the option of the manufacturer or distributor, much alonmg the same lines of
" we reserve the right to refuse service to anybody".

You are 'downunder', right? No such issue in the US. Why some MO and internet resellers no longer sell some stuff, because they consistently sold for less than MSRP.

Peter@vecchios said:
Altho price fixing is illegal, refuding to supply a retailer is completely at the option of the manufacturer or distributor, much alonmg the same lines of
" we reserve the right to refuse service to anybody".

You are 'downunder', right? No such issue in the US. Why some MO and internet resellers no longer sell some stuff, because they consistently sold for less than MSRP.
ProBikeKit are the greatest, provided you are ordering something that is in stock. I love that place. They are fast, cheap, and very friendly.

If you live in the USA, and you need Campagnolo components... they are about the best buy I've seen.

strummer_fan said:
ProBikeKit are the greatest, provided you are ordering something that is in stock. I love that place. They are fast, cheap, and very friendly.

If you live in the USA, and you need Campagnolo components... they are about the best buy I've seen.
I think you hit it on the head right there... :(

I don't know how they do it. Ordered late last Thursday, arrived in Australia today (Wednesday morning). Ultegra groupset for $AUS740 plus $18 postage. Unbelievable. No wonder the bike shops are hurting - quite apart from the price most LBS where I live would take that long to get the groupset into stock and even then they probably couldn't get the options you wanted.

scirocco said:
I don't know how they do it. Ordered late last Thursday, arrived in Australia today (Wednesday morning). Ultegra groupset for $AUS740 plus $18 postage. Unbelievable. No wonder the bike shops are hurting - quite apart from the price most LBS where I live would take that long to get the groupset into stock and even then they probably couldn't get the options you wanted.
Ditto

I ordered some winter clothes last friday - they were in my mail box on tuesday morning!!!

LBS's (or their suppliers) have been getting away with it too long - Somebody is making too much money & taking too long!

Just wait, stock do come in from time to time. If you are in a hurry, then buy elsewhere. If not, then wait patiently. Just no promises.