Ordering from the US...

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim Jones

I know this has been discussed a lot recently...

I saw on the r.b.t newsgroup that there was a cheap toolset on Nashbar. I thought, great, I'll go
and see whether they ship to Australia.

They did! And not only that, they had a 20% discount for orders over $100!

Cool - I ended up ordering 3 toolkits (for US$34 - similar to a toolkit at Phantom cycles catalog
for AU$98) - I thought that they would make good presents for cyclist friends. Put in all my
details, selected fast deliver (US$12) and got the confirmation.

I then received a message today:

Dear Mr. Jones, Thank you for your recent order. Our International shipping is handled through
Federal Express for delivery in 7 to 10 business days. The estimated shipping charges for your order
would be $ 148.0811The final shipping charge is determined by the size and weight of the package.
Please reply to [email protected] to advise how to proceed with the order.

Regards,

Karen

Annoying! All this cheap cool stuff, that you can get for nicks in the US, and we just can't get it!

Oh well - ordered the one from Phantom now! (pro-bike kit has something similary for $76 with a
couple of extra things, but you have to pay an extra $30 postage, plus there is always the chance
you will have to pay duty).

Oh well - again.

Tim

Tim Jones:

> Annoying! All this cheap cool stuff, that you can get for nicks in the US, and we just
> can't get it!

Weight is the killer, especially for international freight. You can still score bargains for
components weighing less than full toolboxes. Nashbar and Supergo have just published their
discount codes.

If you have a friend in the US, you get them sent to them and they send them on by normal US mail.

--

"Jose Rizal" <_@_._> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Tim Jones:
>
> > Annoying! All this cheap cool stuff, that you can get for nicks in the
US,
> > and we just can't get it!
>
> Weight is the killer, especially for international freight. You can still score bargains for
> components weighing less than full toolboxes. Nashbar and Supergo have just published their
> discount codes.

try stipulating USPS Global Priority Mail service - significantly cheaper, 4-7 delivery time frame. send them an email - they might eventually get the message that their current int'l postal rates are unnecessarily and prohibitively expensive

"Tim Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> "Hadra Mahindra" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:7TbEb.56918$aT.8420@news-
> server.bigpond.net.au...
> > If you have a friend in the US, you get them sent to them and they send
> them
> > on by normal US mail.
> >
>
> Unfortunately, no close friends in the US!
>
> Tim
>
>
Fortunately I have a brother in the US and I have got one sent to him. This way it can be carried
out on the next trip or shipped via USPS, the rates are much cheaper than FEDEX. However, most shops
don't ship with USPS.

Kevin

Cambria will ship ordinary air mail, or even surface mail, if not in a hurry. Way cheaper, and less
customs hassles this end. I'm told they will price-match the others.

I've had email discussions with the likes of PricePoint and Nashbar regarding their expensive
"courier only" shipping policies - just ludicrous. Presumably they've signed some exclusive deal
with the courier company. In practice it makes them unusable.

Originally posted by Glen F
Cambria will ship ordinary air mail, or even surface mail, if not in a hurry. Way cheaper, and less
customs hassles this end. I'm told they will price-match the others.

I've had email discussions with the likes of PricePoint and Nashbar regarding their expensive
"courier only" shipping policies - just ludicrous. Presumably they've signed some exclusive deal
with the courier company. In practice it makes them unusable.

I've had similar discussions with a couple of them and one told me (jensonusa i think) that they only use couriers internationally now because of the number of lost/damaged items through the mail... I have (touch wood) never had any issues with surface/air mail though - just lucky i guess.

Although like you say Glen, it is probably a standard reply they use to cover up their deals with the courier companies.

I have mistakenly used Fedex twice now (I should have learnt the first time so I guess the 2nd was not a mistake, just stupidity) but thats a whole 'nother story. Lets just say... never again.

Cheers,
Troy

ftf:

> I've had similar discussions with a couple of them and one told me (jensonusa i think) that
> they only use couriers internationally now because of the number of lost/damaged items through
> the mail... I have (touch wood) never had any issues with surface/air mail though - just lucky
> i guess.
>
> Although like you say Glen, it is probably a standard reply they use to cover up their deals with
> the courier companies.

That's not an unreasonable deal though, and I don't see why mail order shops would want to cover
this up. If it's cheaper and more cost-effective for them to use USPS, there is no reason not to do
so, but there are other factors involved. Using national mail involves your package changing company
hands once it arrives in-country; it's hard to cover insurance on something that gets handled by
another company, and Aus Post (and other postal organisations) isn't infallible.

The other issue is tracking. USPS offers this at additional cost, is somewhat imprecise, and
tracking stops once the package leaves the US; courier companies seem to have a very streamlined
tracking system, enabling you to track your package online as it goes through each sorting facility.
In cases of dispute, normal mail does not let the company confirm delivery of the package, unless
this is purchased at extra cost, but again this option expires once the package leaves the US.

On the other hand, fairly cheap couriers used by some British mail order shops rely on deals made
with the postal organisation in the destination country.

> I have mistakenly used Fedex twice now (I should have learnt the first time so I guess the 2nd was
> not a mistake, just stupidity) but thats a whole 'nother story. Lets just say... never again.

Most courier companies have horror stories; I've had a particularly horrible episode with UPS, but
Fedex seems good so far.

I have ordered a pair of Ksyriums SL's from the USA. They should be arriving with a friend in Jan. With the $AU holding so well against the greenback, I mamanged to get themfor around $900. A far cry from the $1599 I have been quoted here. The shipping was $US35 from NY to Atlanta, GA where my friend is. I have also talked to a friend who works for customs to find out how I can minimise the duty and GST payable. I should be able to get away with paying less than $100, I may even not have to pay anything.

I had the wheels repackaged in Atlanta so as not to attract to much attention, all the bike shop decals were taken off and the invoice was emailed to me separately.

BTW, it would have cost $US250 to post them via UPS because of the size of them (29inch x 29 inch). That the 2 wheels and packaging is only about 4 kilos meant nothing, it the size that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.