Ordering the bike today need your thoughts...

jslopez93

Apr 6, 2004
Before I do, there are a few last minute details....

Currently I was set with an Ultegra with American Classic 420 specced Orbea Orca ($3500). I asked my trusty LBS guy, what's the next best upgrade (very dangerous question) and he said that I can go full Chorus but with American Classic 350s for $700 more.

Now before this becomes a Shimano VS Campy thread (as that is not my purpose and I really don't care to go into it) the real question is does the upgrade from Ultegra to Chorus (for the Shimano lovers consider that I'm upgrading to Dura Ace instead) and downgrade on Wheelset make it worth the $700 price difference?

I'm thinking I'm in this for the long haul so $700 bucks, although pricey, means I shouldn't buy beer for a extra three months ( and since I don't drink anyways...). If this means a better ride for an extra few years then I'm guessing it should be worth it. The wheel downgrade has me a bit down though so your thoughts appreciated.

jslopez93 said:
Before I do, there are a few last minute details....

Currently I was set with an Ultegra with American Classic 420 specced Orbea Orca ($3500). I asked my trusty LBS guy, what's the next best upgrade (very dangerous question) and he said that I can go full Chorus but with American Classic 350s for $700 more.

Now before this becomes a Shimano VS Campy thread (as that is not my purpose and I really don't care to go into it) the real question is does the upgrade from Ultegra to Chorus (for the Shimano lovers consider that I'm upgrading to Dura Ace instead) and downgrade on Wheelset make it worth the $700 price difference?

I'm thinking I'm in this for the long haul so $700 bucks, although pricey, means I shouldn't buy beer for a extra three months ( and since I don't drink anyways...). If this means a better ride for an extra few years then I'm guessing it should be worth it. The wheel downgrade has me a bit down though so your thoughts appreciated.
You are spending $3500 on a bike and trolling for 'advice' on chorus vs ultegra...?

jslopez93 said:
Just to clarify, how is this exactly trolling?
jslopez93, i wouldnt worry or pay too much heed to what boudreaux has to say. at least 75% of the time he gives out shitty comments like that which are in no way helpful or constructive.
though he does give some very helpful comments on some occasions, more often than not its just his own hooey that he's spewing.
i do hope you get the information required on this subject coz i know i for one have recieved more help from this forum than i ever could have hoped for.

Let's see... list on a Chorus group that doesn't have the carbon crank is around $1.1k. List on an Ultegra group is around $700. They're charging you $300 and a lesser set of wheels to change out a group. Pretty expensive for an afternoon's worth of easy work.

My suggestion - keep the good wheels and Ultegra group, buy a chorus group yourself (you should be able to pick one up for $900) put it on, and ebay the ultegra group - it should fetch at least $400 if sold as a new take-off. That's $500 and no wheel downgrade, plus the satisfaction that you upgraded your own bike and didn't get ripped in the process. Or keep the Ultegra group, find a nice frameset, and build up a bike for your wife/girlfriend.

Is a Chorus group $500 better than Ultegra? Hard to say - I built my bike with Chorus/Record from scratch. Just personal preference - I rode Campy Nuovo Record back in college. I will say that, other than initial adjustments, I haven't had to touch that group in almost two years of riding, other than cleaning and a little lube every so often.

JohnO said:
My suggestion - keep the good wheels and Ultegra group, buy a chorus group yourself (you should be able to pick one up for $900) put it on, and ebay the ultegra group - it should fetch at least $400 if sold as a new take-off. That's $500 and no wheel downgrade, plus the satisfaction that you upgraded your own bike and didn't get ripped in the process. Or keep the Ultegra group, find a nice frameset, and build up a bike for your wife/girlfriend.
You are assuming alot,especailly that he can do it himself.

My personal opinion is that $700 and a lower-spec wheelset is too much difference. I'd go with Ultegra and better wheels, and keep the difference in my pocket.

Of course, if the money isn't an issue, just get the Chorus or DA and keep the better wheels. You don't buy a $3500 bike every day; what's another $700 for a bike you'll be riding for the next ten years?

But boudreaux makes a good point, in his usual acerbic style. Most people buying a $3500 bike spend a lot of time making these decisions, and know what they want.

JohnO said:
Let's see... list on a Chorus group that doesn't have the carbon crank is around $1.1k. List on an Ultegra group is around $700. They're charging you $300 and a lesser set of wheels to change out a group. Pretty expensive for an afternoon's worth of easy work.

Is a Chorus group $500 better than Ultegra? Hard to say - I built my bike with Chorus/Record from scratch. Just personal preference - I rode Campy Nuovo Record back in college. I will say that, other than initial adjustments, I haven't had to touch that group in almost two years of riding, other than cleaning and a little lube every so often.

Agree on the overcharging, but if I wanted to mess with all this myself on a new bike, I'd just buy a frame and OEM build kit and do it one time.

dhk said:
Agree on the overcharging, but if I wanted to mess with all this myself on a new bike, I'd just buy a frame and OEM build kit and do it one time.
That's probably the best advice, if you can find a way you can swing it, Jslopez. That, or simply seeking out a similar build from a different shop, one willing to offer a Chorus-equipped Orbea at a reasonable price. Or, of course, you could stick with Ultegra, if you feel the total package you're being offered is worthwhile in its present form.

Either way will probably yeild better value than the massive upcharge and wheel downgrade this particular shop is suggesting for a Chorus build.

My only thoughts on the overcharging (which I will confirm in a bit) is that outside the grupos and wheels, my LBs is getting a Chorus "kit" meaning they will come with better handle bars stems seats etc which may be factoring in on the price.

This guy I've been dealing with has been very straight up with me and I don't think he's try to screw me over. I'll confirm either way.

On the whole trolling thing, I guess it's really a matter of intention. I'm guessing that there are some people in the world that will see the words "Ultegra", "Chorus", "Shimano" or "Campy" and automatically assume it's the "who's better" war. This is really about pricepoint and upgrade question but I can see how it can be misconstrued... oh well.

Anyway thank you very much to everyone on their thoughts.

so I've gotten everything squared out, the extra cash goes not only to the chorus grupos but an upgrade to the rest of the kit (stem, handle bars etc). For 50 bucks more we went back to the old AC 420s we had discussed so everything is peachy with the world adn I should get the bike next week. Pictures to come soon.

As for the AC 420's make sure your LBS has a good relationship with them as I have had 2 spokes break 3 days apart on my AC 420 rear wheel and am now waiting to see what they are going to do about it. These wheels have around 1200miles only on them and are 4 weeks old.

Apart from that they are an awesome wheel, just waiting to find out if I got dud spokes or if this is a more common problem.