Ordinary Kiwi barbecue with pics

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Kathy in NZ, Dec 6, 2005.

  1. Kathy in NZ

    Kathy in NZ Guest

    I was talking to some members in chat tonight and said I was cooking a
    barbecue. It's not a special barbecue, just an everyday meal.

    We had:
    marinated pork strips, which is a thick cut of pork, about 1/2 inch
    thick, 1-2 inches wide, and 6 inches long, that includes fat and skin.
    beef sausages
    potatoes sliced thinly
    asparagus
    mushrooms, sliced

    The pic of them cooking on the barbecue
    http://tinypic.com/ibfj2t.jpg

    the pic of the plated meal
    http://tinypic.com/ibfjeq.jpg

    a typical Kiwi barbecue item, sausages in bread with tomato sauce
    (ketchup)
    http://tinypic.com/ibfjwi.jpg

    then rolled up ready for eating
    http://tinypic.com/ibfk7b.jpg

    I cannot do pics every night -- too time consuming and many of our
    meals are pretty ordinary, not worth keeping for posterity. Just as
    well I'm on holiday this week!

    Kathy in NZ

    Tags:

  2. Bronwyn

    Bronwyn Guest

    Looks great Kathy! Just like the barbies here in Oz! Loved the snag in
    the bread.
    Cheers
    Bronnie
    Qld Oz

  3. Kathy in NZ wrote on 07 Dec 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    > a typical Kiwi barbecue item, sausages in bread with tomato sauce
    > (ketchup)
    > http://tinypic.com/ibfjwi.jpg
    >
    > then rolled up ready for eating
    > http://tinypic.com/ibfk7b.jpg
    >
    > I cannot do pics every night -- too time consuming and many of our
    > meals are pretty ordinary, not worth keeping for posterity. Just as
    > well I'm on holiday this week!
    >
    > Kathy in NZ

    Here in Canada we are more Civilized...we use hotdog buns for our
    sausages...:)

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.

  4. On Wed 07 Dec 2005 12:02:03a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Kathy in
    NZ?

    > I was talking to some members in chat tonight and said I was cooking a
    > barbecue. It's not a special barbecue, just an everyday meal.
    >
    > We had:
    > marinated pork strips, which is a thick cut of pork, about 1/2 inch
    > thick, 1-2 inches wide, and 6 inches long, that includes fat and skin.
    > beef sausages
    > potatoes sliced thinly
    > asparagus
    > mushrooms, sliced
    >
    > The pic of them cooking on the barbecue
    > http://tinypic.com/ibfj2t.jpg

    Simply beautiful!

    > the pic of the plated meal
    > http://tinypic.com/ibfjeq.jpg

    Possibly even more beautiful!

    > a typical Kiwi barbecue item, sausages in bread with tomato sauce
    > (ketchup)
    > http://tinypic.com/ibfjwi.jpg

    While I know that your tomato sauce is like our ketchup, I've always
    pictured it like our tomato sauce (just a sauce of tomatoes packed in a
    can). I'm glad I saw the bottle! :)

    > then rolled up ready for eating
    > http://tinypic.com/ibfk7b.jpg

    Curious... Do you always eat sausages and hot dogs or weiners rolled in a
    slice of bread, or do you also have "hot dog buns"?

    http://www.hormel.com.cn/graphics/new-2.jpg

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  5. On Wed 07 Dec 2005 04:42:41a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Mr Libido
    Incognito?

    > Kathy in NZ wrote on 07 Dec 2005 in rec.food.cooking
    >
    >> a typical Kiwi barbecue item, sausages in bread with tomato sauce
    >> (ketchup) http://tinypic.com/ibfjwi.jpg
    >>
    >> then rolled up ready for eating http://tinypic.com/ibfk7b.jpg
    >>
    >> I cannot do pics every night -- too time consuming and many of our
    >> meals are pretty ordinary, not worth keeping for posterity. Just as
    >> well I'm on holiday this week!
    >>
    >> Kathy in NZ
    >>

    > Here in Canada we are more Civilized...we use hotdog buns for our
    > sausages...:)

    The hot dog bun is the mark of civilization? Hmm... Higher standards than
    I thought! :)

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  6. Mr Libido Incognito <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Kathy in NZ wrote on 07 Dec 2005 in rec.food.cooking
    >
    >> a typical Kiwi barbecue item, sausages in bread with tomato sauce
    >> (ketchup)
    >> http://tinypic.com/ibfjwi.jpg
    >>
    >> then rolled up ready for eating
    >> http://tinypic.com/ibfk7b.jpg
    >>
    >> I cannot do pics every night -- too time consuming and many of our
    >> meals are pretty ordinary, not worth keeping for posterity. Just as
    >> well I'm on holiday this week!
    >>
    >> Kathy in NZ
    >>

    > Here in Canada we are more Civilized...we use hotdog buns for our
    > sausages...:)

    No,no,no,no,no..... Hotdog buns are for hotdogs. Sheesh. For home
    barbecued snags or sausage sizzles it's sliced white bread. I think it's
    probably a law <g>.

    Rhonda Anderson
    Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

  7. Phred

    Phred Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Rhonda Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Mr Libido Incognito <[email protected]> wrote in
    >news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> Kathy in NZ wrote on 07 Dec 2005 in rec.food.cooking
    >>
    >>> a typical Kiwi barbecue item, sausages in bread with tomato sauce
    >>> (ketchup)
    >>> http://tinypic.com/ibfjwi.jpg
    >>>
    >>> then rolled up ready for eating
    >>> http://tinypic.com/ibfk7b.jpg
    >>>
    >>> I cannot do pics every night -- too time consuming and many of our
    >>> meals are pretty ordinary, not worth keeping for posterity. Just as
    >>> well I'm on holiday this week!

    >> Here in Canada we are more Civilized...we use hotdog buns for our
    >> sausages...:)

    >No,no,no,no,no..... Hotdog buns are for hotdogs. Sheesh. For home
    >barbecued snags or sausage sizzles it's sliced white bread. I think it's
    >probably a law <g>.

    I have to confess I prefer local "big macs" (i.e. hamburgers) on
    toasted bread slices rather than the standard toasted buns.
    ("Toasted" to be understood in a pretty minimal sense. :)

    Cheers, Phred.

    --
    [email protected]LID

  8. Bronwyn

    Bronwyn Guest

    Sausage in a slice of bread is an outdoors bbq snack (the 'tin lids' or
    'nippers' (aka kids) love 'em!) Some folk will howl me down, but
    aussies aren't that into hotdogs. One can buy hotdog buns - called
    rolls here, either soft american style bread (but not so sweet), or
    more typical, a crustier roll.
    Technically, tomato sauce is different from ketchup. I've checked into
    this whilst making my southern US bbq sauces. Heinz here manufacture
    both; the latter has vinegar in it. For a sausage sizzle it makes nary
    a difference <g>.

    Cheers
    Bronnie
    Oz

  9. Bronwyn

    Bronwyn Guest

    Oh, and why am I posting at 3.30am in the morning?? Because it is
    26degC (over 80F) and I can't sleep!

  10. Kathy in NZ

    Kathy in NZ Guest

    On 7 Dec 2005 13:31:42 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Wed 07 Dec 2005 12:02:03a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Kathy in
    >NZ?
    >

    >> a typical Kiwi barbecue item, sausages in bread with tomato sauce
    >> (ketchup)
    >> http://tinypic.com/ibfjwi.jpg

    >While I know that your tomato sauce is like our ketchup, I've always
    >pictured it like our tomato sauce (just a sauce of tomatoes packed in a
    >can). I'm glad I saw the bottle! :)
    >
    >> then rolled up ready for eating
    >> http://tinypic.com/ibfk7b.jpg

    >Curious... Do you always eat sausages and hot dogs or weiners rolled in a
    >slice of bread, or do you also have "hot dog buns"?
    >
    > http://www.hormel.com.cn/graphics/new-2.jpg

    Sausages are *always* rolled in bread. It's very Kiwi (and possibly
    very Oz too). Fundraisers set up barbecues outside supermarkets
    selling sausages in bread with tomato sauce, often including fried
    onions.

    I deliberately included the ubiquitous bottle of Wattie's tomato sauce
    in the photo. That's also a Kiwi icon. It's a redder colour than Heinz
    ketchup (which I sometimes buy) and a different flavour.

    Hot dogs come in three styles. There are the hotdogs at fish and chip
    shops, which are battered saveloys; the hot dog on a stick you get at
    fairs, again battered; and the American hotdog, which is like the one
    in your photo. I actually had an American hot dog for lunch today
    while waiting for my train home after a dentist appointment in town. I
    had it with onions, mild chilli sauce and mustard.

    Kathy in NZ

  11. Kathy in NZ

    Kathy in NZ Guest

    On 7 Dec 2005 00:55:37 -0800, "Bronwyn" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Looks great Kathy! Just like the barbies here in Oz! Loved the snag in
    >the bread.
    >Cheers
    >Bronnie
    >Qld Oz

    I love the snag in the bread, too. It's the only time I eat tomato
    sauce.

  12. On Wed 07 Dec 2005 07:09:31p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Kathy in
    NZ?

    > On 7 Dec 2005 13:31:42 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed 07 Dec 2005 12:02:03a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Kathy in
    >>NZ?
    >>

    >>> a typical Kiwi barbecue item, sausages in bread with tomato sauce
    >>> (ketchup) http://tinypic.com/ibfjwi.jpg

    >>While I know that your tomato sauce is like our ketchup, I've always
    >>pictured it like our tomato sauce (just a sauce of tomatoes packed in a
    >>can). I'm glad I saw the bottle! :)
    >>
    >>> then rolled up ready for eating http://tinypic.com/ibfk7b.jpg

    >>Curious... Do you always eat sausages and hot dogs or weiners rolled in

    >>slice of bread, or do you also have "hot dog buns"?
    >>
    >> http://www.hormel.com.cn/graphics/new-2.jpg
    >>

    > Sausages are *always* rolled in bread. It's very Kiwi (and possibly
    > very Oz too). Fundraisers set up barbecues outside supermarkets
    > selling sausages in bread with tomato sauce, often including fried
    > onions.
    >
    > I deliberately included the ubiquitous bottle of Wattie's tomato sauce
    > in the photo. That's also a Kiwi icon. It's a redder colour than Heinz
    > ketchup (which I sometimes buy) and a different flavour.
    >
    > Hot dogs come in three styles. There are the hotdogs at fish and chip
    > shops, which are battered saveloys; the hot dog on a stick you get at
    > fairs, again battered; and the American hotdog, which is like the one
    > in your photo. I actually had an American hot dog for lunch today
    > while waiting for my train home after a dentist appointment in town. I
    > had it with onions, mild chilli sauce and mustard.

    We seem to have a wide variety of "hot dogs" or weiners, those with skin
    and skinless, made with various meats, probably the most common being
    either all beef or a mixture of beef, pork, and chicken. There are also
    turkey hot dogs and some hotdogs that have cheese inside. There are more
    that I can't think of.

    The only battered ones I know of here are "corn dogs", with a cornbread
    type batter. Those are available in many places.

    Me, I actually prefer some sort of sausage over any type of hot dog. I
    like the texture better and I like that most of them are in casings.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  13. John SMith

    John SMith Guest

    Are saveloys available anywhere in the USA? I googled but couldn't find
    any mention