Ordinary Kiwi barbecue with pics

Kathy in NZ

Guest
I was talking to some members in chat tonight and said I was cooking a
barbecue. It's not a special barbecue, just an everyday meal.

We had:
marinated pork strips, which is a thick cut of pork, about 1/2 inch
thick, 1-2 inches wide, and 6 inches long, that includes fat and skin.
beef sausages
potatoes sliced thinly
asparagus
mushrooms, sliced

The pic of them cooking on the barbecue
http://tinypic.com/ibfj2t.jpg

the pic of the plated meal
http://tinypic.com/ibfjeq.jpg

a typical Kiwi barbecue item, sausages in bread with tomato sauce
(ketchup)
http://tinypic.com/ibfjwi.jpg

then rolled up ready for eating
http://tinypic.com/ibfk7b.jpg

I cannot do pics every night -- too time consuming and many of our
meals are pretty ordinary, not worth keeping for posterity. Just as
well I'm on holiday this week!

Kathy in NZ

Looks great Kathy! Just like the barbies here in Oz! Loved the snag in
the bread.
Cheers
Bronnie
Qld Oz

Kathy in NZ wrote on 07 Dec 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> a typical Kiwi barbecue item, sausages in bread with tomato sauce
> (ketchup)
> http://tinypic.com/ibfjwi.jpg
>
> then rolled up ready for eating
> http://tinypic.com/ibfk7b.jpg
>
> I cannot do pics every night -- too time consuming and many of our
> meals are pretty ordinary, not worth keeping for posterity. Just as
> well I'm on holiday this week!
>
> Kathy in NZ

Here in Canada we are more Civilized...we use hotdog buns for our
sausages...:)

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.

On Wed 07 Dec 2005 12:02:03a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Kathy in
NZ?

> I was talking to some members in chat tonight and said I was cooking a
> barbecue. It's not a special barbecue, just an everyday meal.
>
> We had:
> marinated pork strips, which is a thick cut of pork, about 1/2 inch
> thick, 1-2 inches wide, and 6 inches long, that includes fat and skin.
> beef sausages
> potatoes sliced thinly
> asparagus
> mushrooms, sliced
>
> The pic of them cooking on the barbecue
> http://tinypic.com/ibfj2t.jpg

Simply beautiful!

> the pic of the plated meal
> http://tinypic.com/ibfjeq.jpg

Possibly even more beautiful!

> a typical Kiwi barbecue item, sausages in bread with tomato sauce
> (ketchup)
> http://tinypic.com/ibfjwi.jpg

While I know that your tomato sauce is like our ketchup, I've always
pictured it like our tomato sauce (just a sauce of tomatoes packed in a
can). I'm glad I saw the bottle! :)

> then rolled up ready for eating
> http://tinypic.com/ibfk7b.jpg

Curious... Do you always eat sausages and hot dogs or weiners rolled in a
slice of bread, or do you also have "hot dog buns"?

http://www.hormel.com.cn/graphics/new-2.jpg

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

On Wed 07 Dec 2005 04:42:41a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Mr Libido
Incognito?

> Kathy in NZ wrote on 07 Dec 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> a typical Kiwi barbecue item, sausages in bread with tomato sauce
>> (ketchup) http://tinypic.com/ibfjwi.jpg
>>
>> then rolled up ready for eating http://tinypic.com/ibfk7b.jpg
>>
>> I cannot do pics every night -- too time consuming and many of our
>> meals are pretty ordinary, not worth keeping for posterity. Just as
>> well I'm on holiday this week!
>>
>> Kathy in NZ
>>

> Here in Canada we are more Civilized...we use hotdog buns for our
> sausages...:)

The hot dog bun is the mark of civilization? Hmm... Higher standards than
I thought! :)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Mr Libido Incognito <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Kathy in NZ wrote on 07 Dec 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> a typical Kiwi barbecue item, sausages in bread with tomato sauce
>> (ketchup)
>> http://tinypic.com/ibfjwi.jpg
>>
>> then rolled up ready for eating
>> http://tinypic.com/ibfk7b.jpg
>>
>> I cannot do pics every night -- too time consuming and many of our
>> meals are pretty ordinary, not worth keeping for posterity. Just as
>> well I'm on holiday this week!
>>
>> Kathy in NZ
>>

> Here in Canada we are more Civilized...we use hotdog buns for our
> sausages...:)

No,no,no,no,no..... Hotdog buns are for hotdogs. Sheesh. For home
barbecued snags or sausage sizzles it's sliced white bread. I think it's
probably a law <g>.

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

In article <[email protected]>, Rhonda Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:
>Mr Libido Incognito <[email protected]> wrote in
>news:[email protected]:
>
>> Kathy in NZ wrote on 07 Dec 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>>
>>> a typical Kiwi barbecue item, sausages in bread with tomato sauce
>>> (ketchup)
>>> http://tinypic.com/ibfjwi.jpg
>>>
>>> then rolled up ready for eating
>>> http://tinypic.com/ibfk7b.jpg
>>>
>>> I cannot do pics every night -- too time consuming and many of our
>>> meals are pretty ordinary, not worth keeping for posterity. Just as
>>> well I'm on holiday this week!

>> Here in Canada we are more Civilized...we use hotdog buns for our
>> sausages...:)

>No,no,no,no,no..... Hotdog buns are for hotdogs. Sheesh. For home
>barbecued snags or sausage sizzles it's sliced white bread. I think it's
>probably a law <g>.

I have to confess I prefer local "big macs" (i.e. hamburgers) on
toasted bread slices rather than the standard toasted buns.
("Toasted" to be understood in a pretty minimal sense. :)

Cheers, Phred.

--
[email protected]LID

Sausage in a slice of bread is an outdoors bbq snack (the 'tin lids' or
'nippers' (aka kids) love 'em!) Some folk will howl me down, but
aussies aren't that into hotdogs. One can buy hotdog buns - called
rolls here, either soft american style bread (but not so sweet), or
more typical, a crustier roll.
Technically, tomato sauce is different from ketchup. I've checked into
this whilst making my southern US bbq sauces. Heinz here manufacture
both; the latter has vinegar in it. For a sausage sizzle it makes nary
a difference <g>.

Cheers
Bronnie
Oz

Oh, and why am I posting at 3.30am in the morning?? Because it is
26degC (over 80F) and I can't sleep!

On 7 Dec 2005 13:31:42 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed 07 Dec 2005 12:02:03a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Kathy in
>NZ?
>

>> a typical Kiwi barbecue item, sausages in bread with tomato sauce
>> (ketchup)
>> http://tinypic.com/ibfjwi.jpg

>While I know that your tomato sauce is like our ketchup, I've always
>pictured it like our tomato sauce (just a sauce of tomatoes packed in a
>can). I'm glad I saw the bottle! :)
>
>> then rolled up ready for eating
>> http://tinypic.com/ibfk7b.jpg

>Curious... Do you always eat sausages and hot dogs or weiners rolled in a
>slice of bread, or do you also have "hot dog buns"?
>
> http://www.hormel.com.cn/graphics/new-2.jpg

Sausages are *always* rolled in bread. It's very Kiwi (and possibly
very Oz too). Fundraisers set up barbecues outside supermarkets
selling sausages in bread with tomato sauce, often including fried
onions.

I deliberately included the ubiquitous bottle of Wattie's tomato sauce
in the photo. That's also a Kiwi icon. It's a redder colour than Heinz
ketchup (which I sometimes buy) and a different flavour.

Hot dogs come in three styles. There are the hotdogs at fish and chip
shops, which are battered saveloys; the hot dog on a stick you get at
fairs, again battered; and the American hotdog, which is like the one
in your photo. I actually had an American hot dog for lunch today
while waiting for my train home after a dentist appointment in town. I
had it with onions, mild chilli sauce and mustard.

Kathy in NZ

On 7 Dec 2005 00:55:37 -0800, "Bronwyn" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Looks great Kathy! Just like the barbies here in Oz! Loved the snag in
>the bread.
>Cheers
>Bronnie
>Qld Oz

I love the snag in the bread, too. It's the only time I eat tomato
sauce.

On Wed 07 Dec 2005 07:09:31p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Kathy in
NZ?

> On 7 Dec 2005 13:31:42 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Wed 07 Dec 2005 12:02:03a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Kathy in
>>NZ?
>>

>>> a typical Kiwi barbecue item, sausages in bread with tomato sauce
>>> (ketchup) http://tinypic.com/ibfjwi.jpg

>>While I know that your tomato sauce is like our ketchup, I've always
>>pictured it like our tomato sauce (just a sauce of tomatoes packed in a
>>can). I'm glad I saw the bottle! :)
>>
>>> then rolled up ready for eating http://tinypic.com/ibfk7b.jpg

>>Curious... Do you always eat sausages and hot dogs or weiners rolled in

>>slice of bread, or do you also have "hot dog buns"?
>>
>> http://www.hormel.com.cn/graphics/new-2.jpg
>>

> Sausages are *always* rolled in bread. It's very Kiwi (and possibly
> very Oz too). Fundraisers set up barbecues outside supermarkets
> selling sausages in bread with tomato sauce, often including fried
> onions.
>
> I deliberately included the ubiquitous bottle of Wattie's tomato sauce
> in the photo. That's also a Kiwi icon. It's a redder colour than Heinz
> ketchup (which I sometimes buy) and a different flavour.
>
> Hot dogs come in three styles. There are the hotdogs at fish and chip
> shops, which are battered saveloys; the hot dog on a stick you get at
> fairs, again battered; and the American hotdog, which is like the one
> in your photo. I actually had an American hot dog for lunch today
> while waiting for my train home after a dentist appointment in town. I
> had it with onions, mild chilli sauce and mustard.

We seem to have a wide variety of "hot dogs" or weiners, those with skin
and skinless, made with various meats, probably the most common being
either all beef or a mixture of beef, pork, and chicken. There are also
turkey hot dogs and some hotdogs that have cheese inside. There are more
that I can't think of.

The only battered ones I know of here are "corn dogs", with a cornbread
type batter. Those are available in many places.

Me, I actually prefer some sort of sausage over any type of hot dog. I
like the texture better and I like that most of them are in casings.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Are saveloys available anywhere in the USA? I googled but couldn't find
any mention