Oregon Cyclist Charged with Manslaughter

LOW2000

Aug 16, 2005
Sep 12 12:21 PM US/Eastern

CORVALLIS, Ore.

A bicyclist was charged with manslaughter after he ran through a stop sign and struck and killed a 71-year-old woman, police said Monday.

Jean Calder died at Good Samaritan Hospital after she was struck Friday night as she crossed a street at an unmarked crosswalk, Corvallis police Capt. Ron Noble said.

Christopher A. Lightning, 51, was charged with manslaughter and reckless driving.

"A car and a bicycle are both vehicles and if they are operated in a way that could be criminal, then charges are filed equally in both situations," Noble said. "He was going right through a stop sign." Lightning was being housed in Benton County jail with bail set at $57,500. He will be given a court-appointed lawyer at his arraignment in Benton County

I saw this in the USA Today and it blew my mind. How many drivers who hit cyclists get charges like this??? At least the one positive is that if he is convicted lawyers can use this against drivers.

Gotta slow downa bit on the intersections .... gotta slow down a ... OH ****!!!

gclark8 said:
It just has to be said:

Struck by Lightning!! :D
Good one, George. I'd say it was intentional as he was "Benton destruction"...

So, a cyclist hits and kills an old woman who crosses at an unmarked crosswalk and they take him to jail like he did it intentonally.

A motorist kills a cyclist who is riding on the right side of the road where he is supposed to be and they call it an accident.

If he was charged with reckless "driving" then the woman should be charged with reckless walking.

ScottishDan said:
Well I hope they CALDER ambulance:rolleyes:
The Police said that the zero-tolerance treatment was a spinoff of the DEA wanting local authorities to crack down on pedallers :rolleyes: We really must stop this...it's getting worse.

EoinC said:
...We really must stop this...it's getting worse.
Anyway, if anyone gets upset, we can always blame George - Not that I'm dobbing, but he started it! :D

Death on the roads is a serious matter. This cyclist got what he deserved. There is no exuse for running through a red light.

The law is too lenient on car drivers but i think the judge gave such a harsh descision to make an example of the man and to raise the profile of the danger cyclist put themselves and others under when not concentrating on the road and recklessly running red lights.

i think justice was done.

LOW2000 said:
Sep 12 12:21 PM US/Eastern

CORVALLIS, Ore.

A bicyclist was charged with manslaughter after he ran through a stop sign and struck and killed a 71-year-old woman, police said Monday.

Jean Calder died at Good Samaritan Hospital after she was struck Friday night as she crossed a street at an unmarked crosswalk, Corvallis police Capt. Ron Noble said.

Christopher A. Lightning, 51, was charged with manslaughter and reckless driving.

"A car and a bicycle are both vehicles and if they are operated in a way that could be criminal, then charges are filed equally in both situations," Noble said. "He was going right through a stop sign." Lightning was being housed in Benton County jail with bail set at $57,500. He will be given a court-appointed lawyer at his arraignment in Benton County

MountainPro said:
i think justice was done.
I think so too. If cyclists want to be respected as vehicles on the road, we have to play by the rules. With the rights come the responsibilities.

MountainPro said:
Death on the roads is a serious matter. This cyclist got what he deserved. There is no exuse for running through a red light...
Especially when there's perfectly good pedestrian crossings. (does anybody else do this?)

ScottishDan said:
Especially when there's perfectly good pedestrian crossings. (does anybody else do this?)
the elderly dont always follow the same rules that you and i do. It could have been a toddler that ran out on to the road...

the cyclist was at fault.

MountainPro said:
the cyclist was at fault.
I completely agree and I agree that he should be punished; but come on.... straight to jail? Bail set at what, $58K?!?!? Give me a break. I'd like to just once see a motorist so charged.

I'd agree that the cyclist was mostly at fault and got what he deserved, but an elderly woman knows well enough to look around before crossing a road, a toddler doesn't. But considering a wreckless driver who hits and injures or kills a responsible cyclist gets off with a much lesser sentence, there is something clearly wrong with the world.:(

g-brown said:
I completely agree and I agree that he should be punished; but come on.... straight to jail? Bail set at what, $58K?!?!? Give me a break. I'd like to just once see a motorist so charged.
Bail has as much to do with the offender's record as the crime. The article wasn't too clear about the details there. A 51 year old bicyclist could be anyone from a bank executive to a crack addict with prior arrests who's only riding a bike because his driver's licence was revoked.

The cyclist ran through a red light, so he was at fault.

The old woman had right of way, as the stop light was lit, so she cannot be blamed for not paying attention.