Organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Dee Randall, Feb 12, 2006.

  1. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    I use a little of this Organic Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar (pasteurized)
    bought at TJ's in a bit of water at mealtime for indigestion.

    I know that it is ok to leave vinegar out on the table, but for how long? It
    has a lot of mother in the bottom and has to be shaken each time.

    Thanks,
    Dee Dee

    Tags:

  2. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I use a little of this Organic Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar (pasteurized)
    >bought at TJ's in a bit of water at mealtime for indigestion.
    >
    > I know that it is ok to leave vinegar out on the table, but for how long?
    > It has a lot of mother in the bottom and has to be shaken each time.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dee Dee

    Interesting that you would use it for indigestion which is usually caused by
    too much stomach acid. Adding more acid would make it worse one would think.
    I don't think you want to shake it. The mother makes the vinegar but is not,
    AFAIK, supposed to be used. It's just dead yeast. It should keep on the
    table for months and months.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  3. On Sun 12 Feb 2006 10:09:56a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    Randall?

    > I use a little of this Organic Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar
    > (pasteurized) bought at TJ's in a bit of water at mealtime for
    > indigestion.
    >
    > I know that it is ok to leave vinegar out on the table, but for how
    > long? It has a lot of mother in the bottom and has to be shaken each
    > time.

    You might even have the grandmother! <g> AFAIK, vinegar never needs to be
    refrigerated and can be left out indefinitely. What's it going to turn to?
    Vinegar? <g>

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  4. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sun 12 Feb 2006 10:09:56a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    > Randall?
    >
    >> I use a little of this Organic Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar
    >> (pasteurized) bought at TJ's in a bit of water at mealtime for
    >> indigestion.
    >>
    >> I know that it is ok to leave vinegar out on the table, but for how
    >> long? It has a lot of mother in the bottom and has to be shaken each
    >> time.

    > You might even have the grandmother! <g> AFAIK, vinegar never needs to be
    > refrigerated and can be left out indefinitely. What's it going to turn
    > to?
    > Vinegar? <g>
    >
    > --
    > Wayne Boatwright o¿o

    LOL. Perhaps the mother might turn into (a) snot? It gets sort of
    gross-looking if it's not shaken daily.
    It seems we were talking about the mother not too long ago here on rfc.
    But I don't recall my answer addressed there.
    Thanks, Wayne.
    Dee Dee

  5. On Sun 12 Feb 2006 02:39:11p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    Randall?

    > "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> On Sun 12 Feb 2006 10:09:56a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    >> Randall?
    >>
    >>> I use a little of this Organic Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar
    >>> (pasteurized) bought at TJ's in a bit of water at mealtime for
    >>> indigestion.
    >>>
    >>> I know that it is ok to leave vinegar out on the table, but for how
    >>> long? It has a lot of mother in the bottom and has to be shaken each
    >>> time.

    >> You might even have the grandmother! <g> AFAIK, vinegar never needs to
    >> be refrigerated and can be left out indefinitely. What's it going to
    >> turn to? Vinegar? <g>
    >>
    >> --
    >> Wayne Boatwright o¿o

    > LOL. Perhaps the mother might turn into (a) snot? It gets sort of
    > gross-looking if it's not shaken daily.
    > It seems we were talking about the mother not too long ago here on rfc.
    > But I don't recall my answer addressed there.
    > Thanks, Wayne.
    > Dee Dee

    My grandmother kept most of her vinegar in a gallon jug. She would pour
    enough off to fill a small bottle for cooking and a cruet for the table.
    She always cautioned to not shake the jug and disturb the mother.

    I can't attest to the validity of her reasoning.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  6. Dee Randall wrote:
    > "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>On Sun 12 Feb 2006 10:09:56a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
    >>Randall?
    >>
    >>>I use a little of this Organic Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar
    >>>(pasteurized) bought at TJ's in a bit of water at mealtime for
    >>>indigestion.
    >>>
    >>>I know that it is ok to leave vinegar out on the table, but for how
    >>>long? It has a lot of mother in the bottom and has to be shaken each
    >>>time.

    It's not vinegar mother. It's particulates left over from the
    vinegar-making process. It's "unfiltered," so it still contains bits of
    apple. Commercial vinegars are usually filtered. That's why they're so
    clear.

    Pasteurized vinegar has had all bacteria killed by being heated over
    140°, so it won't form a mother.

    >>You might even have the grandmother! <g> AFAIK, vinegar never needs to be
    >>refrigerated and can be left out indefinitely. What's it going to turn
    >>to?
    >>Vinegar? <g>
    >>
    >>--
    >>Wayne Boatwright o¿o

    > LOL. Perhaps the mother might turn into (a) snot? It gets sort of
    > gross-looking if it's not shaken daily.

    This particular vinegar doesn't have mother in it. But for the time,
    should it ever occur, when you have a vinegar that does have one, the
    mother is a colony of acetobacters and yeasts that works best when left
    alone. It will settle to the bottom and should be left undisturbed;
    handled very gently.

    Pastorio