Organizing a Politically Motivated Coast-to-Coast Ride

Ben

Guest
Greetings,

My girlfriend and I are organizing a bike ride from Washington State to New York (or therabouts).
The purpose of the ride is to register voters for the upcomming 2004 Presidential Election. This
messege is here to get a feeling about how many of you would be interested in participating in
such a project this summer around the end of June.

-Benjamin Green

"Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Greetings,
>
> My girlfriend and I are organizing a bike ride from Washington State to New York (or
> therabouts). The purpose of the ride is to register voters for the upcomming 2004 Presidential
> Election. This messege is here to get a feeling about how many of you would be interested in
> participating in such a project this summer around the end of June.

Democrat or Republican?

Only electors caring enough to educate themselves and pursue their rights should vote. Democracy is
the rule of fools by fools. You will not find the anathema 'demos' in our Declaration of
Independence, our Constitution or the Bill or Rights. The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as
common sense.

masses as electors.

"Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> writes:

> Only electors caring enough to educate themselves and pursue their rights should vote.

Clearly then, we should have some sort of poll test to make sure people are going to vote the right
way before they can get a ballot. I'm sure that Florida would be happy to put this into effect for
this elelction so that they can predetermine the outcome better than they did last time.

> Democracy is the rule of fools by fools.

Your faith in humanity is inspiring.

> You will not find the anathema 'demos' in our Declaration of Independence, our Constitution or the
> Bill or Rights.

Demos? Some kind of Greek god?

> The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

Or the conspiracy of the arrogant.

> masses as electors.

Try a higher ffiber cereal and drink lots of water. It'll help.

Very good. An off the point retort to an off topic post.

"Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
| "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> writes:
|
| > Only electors caring enough to educate themselves and pursue their rights should vote.
|
| Clearly then, we should have some sort of poll test to make sure people are going to vote
| the right way before they can get a ballot. I'm sure that Florida would be happy to put this
| into effect for this elelction so that they can predetermine the outcome better than they
| did last time.
|
| > Democracy is the rule of fools by fools.
|
| Your faith in humanity is inspiring.
|
| > You will not find the anathema 'demos' in our Declaration of Independence, our Constitution or
| > the Bill or Rights.
|
| Demos? Some kind of Greek god?
|
| > The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.
|
| Or the conspiracy of the arrogant.

| > masses as electors.
|
| Try a higher ffiber cereal and drink lots of water. It'll help.

> Democrat or Republican?

Neither. I think it's important for people to exercise their right to vote. If you vote Republican,
Democrat, Green, Human Being, Liberatarian, Light, Neo-Fasciast, that's not our project's concern.
What is our concern is that given the state of the world and the place that the U.S. has in it,
it's an expression of arrogance and self-centeredness to not vote. I agree, people should be
informed and one way towards informing people is involving them in the political process and making
it accessable to them.

On 29 Jan 2004 12:21:52 -0800, [email protected] (Ben)
wrote:

>What is our concern is that given the state of the world and the place that the U.S. has in it,
>it's an expression of arrogance and self-centeredness to not vote.

While the purpose may be a good one, you are showing more than a bit of arrogance when you assume
the basis of why people don't vote. Keep up the attitude and you're more than half way to being
ignored before you start.

You are the one that wants to communicate (I presume). They could give a ****. So it would behoove
you to start by listening without your own barriers already in place.

Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on two wheels...

"Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 29 Jan 2004 12:21:52 -0800, [email protected] (Ben) wrote:
>
> >What is our concern is that given the state of the world and the place that the U.S. has in it,
> >it's an expression of arrogance and self-centeredness to not vote.
>
> While the purpose may be a good one, you are showing more than a bit of arrogance when you assume
> the basis of why people don't vote. Keep up the attitude and you're more than half way to being
> ignored before you start.

Well said. I don't vote, mainly because I just don't care anymore. Is that arrogant and self-
centered? Maybe so, but I know I'm certainly *not* going on a long ride with someone who thinks I'm
arrogant and self-centered, and I doubt anyone here or any of my friends will, either.

"Even if you do not choose, you still have made a choice." My choice has been made.

"HardwareLust" <[email protected]> writes:

> Well said. I don't vote, mainly because I just don't care anymore.

Despair is a vice that costs far too much.

"Not, I'll not, carrion comfort, Depair, feast on thee; Not untwist- slack as they may be- these la-
st strands of man In me or, most weary, cry _I can no more._ I can; Can something, hope, wish day
come, not choose not to be."
- Gerard manley Hopkins 1844-1889

> "Even if you do not choose, you still have made a choice." My choice has been made.

Since you've chosen powerlessness, I hope you at least have the consistency to not ***** about
the results.

The rapaciousness and anti-Constitutional horrors that the Bush Administration has perpetrated and
plans to continue to perpetrate disgust me. The collusion with the Republicans from the spineless
Democrats disgusts me- just marginally less than the Republicans at this point.

Dangers beset us on all fronts, the worse from within our own government which is no longer "of the
people, by the people and for the people." If you want your children and your grandchildren to have
an America worth living in, then get off your dead ass, find out thepositions on the various
candidates and VOTE! (Even if you're foolish enough to vote for Bush for another term).

> > While the purpose may be a good one, you are showing more than a bit of arrogance when you
> > assume the basis of why people don't vote. Keep up the attitude and you're more than half way to
> > being ignored before you start.
> >

> Well said. I don't vote, mainly because I just don't care anymore. Is that arrogant and self-
> centered?

Well said indeed. I spoke hastily and without enough thought and so what came out was overly
critical and unnececssarily harsh. You are absolutely right, I should be more compassionate and
understanding. Allow me to attempt to express myself better here. Although, really I shouldn't've
said anything at all, since my expression comes off as dangerously partisan. ;).

I think, to avoid being hypocritical I should note that though I'm 23 years old, I just registered
to vote for the first time this month. I do not spare myself my critique.

It's not enough to say, "I don't care" and be done with it. It's important to understand why we
don't care. From my own experience and from talking to many other non-voters who also "didn't care"
I've learned that very few, if any of us actually don't care. In fact, the impetus for our response
is, ironically, that we *do* care, or we did at one time. But caring was hard, it hurt.

We are so deeply immersed in a culture of uncaring, so overwhelmed with the woes of the world and so
intimately connected to the systems that propogate them that caring turns, very easily into
hopelessness. The systems that surround us seem so huge, unquenchable and untouchable that we can
almost be forgiven for thinking that there is nothing we can do about it. That whether we vote or
not, buy clothes made in sweat-shops or not, or lie in bed until we rot it will make no difference.
It's easy to think of children in sweatshops in Asia or starving people in Africa as the victems of
this global Empire, but realizing that just as much as they, we are the casualties of Empire. We are
being killed in our souls while our bodies lie in luxery.

Whatever the case, if we're without hope or if hope there be, we owe it, to ourselves and to the
whole world, to struggle against the wooley chains of dispair. We owe it to those that have come
before us and those that will follow to leave this world a place better than we found it. Our lives
belong not solely to ourselves, but to the whole of Humanity.

"Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage
against the dying of the light.

"Though wise men at their end know dark is right, Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

"Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

"Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight, And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way, Do
not go gentle into that good night.

"Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

"And you, my father, there on the sad height, Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. "
-- Dylan Thomas

Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:

>> "Even if you do not choose, you still have made a choice." My choice has been made.

> Since you've chosen powerlessness, I hope you at least have the consistency to not ***** about the
> results.

Whenever someone starts ranting about something political, I like to ask if they vote. I generally
refuse to listen to them kvetch if they haven't hit the ballot box. I'm a member of the why bother
generation myself, but I still think it's inexcusable people can't be arsed to vote.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g A citizen of America will cross the ocean
to fight for democracy, but won't cross the street to vote in a national election. -- Bill Vaughan

> Dane Jackson: Whenever someone starts ranting about something political, I like to ask if they
> vote. I generally refuse to listen to them kvetch if they haven't hit the ballot box. I'm a
> member of the why bother generation myself, but I still think it's inexcusable people can't be
> arsed to vote.

Refusing to listen to someone is generally not a good way to teach, convince or understand anyone
or anything.

Very few things are really inexcusable, not voting is not one of them.