Orienting Kids Into Cycling

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
When I was staying with my parents and I was already fond of biking then, I had that plan of organizing a biker club for the teenagers. That is to wean them away from the vices that were prevalent in our place. One neighbor had helped me in conceptualizing and we would have launched it. However, the snag was the cost of bikes. If the club members do not own bikes (they just rent) how could they sustain their passion?

Reactions: haleylx4
I also live in a place where there is a lot of poverty and not everyone can afford a bike. But people here have come up with a solution for that. - Custom-made bikes. You don't have to buy an expensive, new, or even used bike, instead you can start buying bicycle parts and have them later assembled by one of the local bike shops. I know plenty of people who started out buying a frame one month, a fork the next month, a saddle and pedals in the third, and so on. Eventually, they got their bike all in one piece, and it was a very affordable deal without creating any debts or having to pay interest.

Dora M said:
I also live in a place where there is a lot of poverty and not everyone can afford a bike. But people here have come up with a solution for that. - Custom-made bikes. You don't have to buy an expensive, new, or even used bike, instead you can start buying bicycle parts and have them later assembled by one of the local bike shops. I know plenty of people who started out buying a frame one month, a fork the next month, a saddle and pedals in the third, and so on. Eventually, they got their bike all in one piece, and it was a very affordable deal without creating any debts or having to pay interest.
That is a very noble idea. When implemented, the kids would have a grand time because they would feel that they now have their own bikes. However, that scheme is not viable or should I say very difficult to implement because most parents would not agree with that piece by piece. Poor people are so conscious of expenses and they know that eventually they have to buy the whole bike. And to save them from that expense, all they have to do is disallow their kids to join the bikers' club.

Well when I was young my parents got me from running and such into biking by taking me to a bunch of nice bike paths around the area. I got into biking by then at a young age of 4 and went on from there hehe. At first they wanted me to run but then I got into biking.

Get them a bike!
No matter what your income level you can get a bike, I can't tell you how many free bikes I come across in a day.
Spend some time with the kid fixing it up and teaching them the parts and then ride with them.
For me riding a bike was a big part of growing up, every kid had a bike to ride!
In this day and age of helicopter parents and driving everywhere I lament this is lost.
Kids get driven everywhere all the time no wonder we have an obesity epidemic.

You will definitely get some income from the teenagers that you will teach, it would be a good idea to buy the bikes not rent them.

They can start with the affordable bikes they can find. I think the cause is good and there is no need for expensive bikes to keep them going. There are some organizations or people with good heart that can sponsor this worthy cause so I guess you can tap them for help