Origin of Cooler Helmets?

[email protected] wrote:
> Bestest Handsander wrote:
> > <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > Is it in fact savvy and not reactionary?

> > Yes. Reactionary would be claiming that any helmet under any circumstances
> > should never cost more than $30 because you just don't FEEL it should. Now,
> > if you are privy to the R&D costs, line setup costs, labor, insurance,
> > litigation exposure, etc. that helmet makers incure, then please share.
> >
> > > 1. Since helmets can obviously be produced and sold at a profit at
> > > $20-$30 retail,

> > Sure they're not lost leaders? Again, I'd love to see some industry data on

> Hehehe -- I think you mean 'loss leaders'.

OTOH, maybe he was talking about Bush and Cheney. ;-)

[email protected] a écrit :
> On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 23:42:35 -0600, "Bestest Handsander"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>> Neither the aerodynamics nor the "extra" vents created by
>>> adding a rib across an existing hole are likely to be
>>> noticeable in blind helmet testing.
>>>
>>> That is, the rider couldn't tell which helmet he was wearing
>>> if he closed his eyes while someone else buckled the strap
>>> under his chin.
>>>
>>> Indeed, it's not likely that the rider could tell the
>>> slightly lighter models from the slightly heavier models.
>>> Carl Fogel

>> Source? I mean this opinion of yours is based upon some data... not just
>> your assumptions, correct?
>>

> Dear BH,
>
> Go to a local bike shop and enlist the aid of a puzzled
> employee.
>
> With his help, pick out ten helmets and adjust their straps.
> Turn your back, have him buckle one on your head, go for a
> ride, and close your eyes when you come back and take it
> off.
>
> Repeat, making sure that your helper occasionally gives you
> the same helmet again.
>
> Let us know if you could tell how many vents were on each
> helmet, how heavy it was, and what its aerodynamics were.
>
> Or even when he gave you the same one again.
>
> I predict that you won't enjoy much success.
>
> We distinguish bicycle helmets by sight. Once they're in
> place, we can't see the colors, logos, number of vents that
> aren't touching our heads, or much of anything else.
>
> You might be able to notice a wildly different time trial
> helmet with a duck's-butt back or an "old-school" helmet
> that looks more like a hockey helmet.
>
> But the rest of them are pretty much the same as socks of
> roughly the same thickness. Even the vents are typically so
> similar that buyers count them by hand and feel satisfied
> when they reach a higher number of holes created by slapping
> a rib across an existing hole.
>
> I may seem cynical, but it turns out that I'm not cynical
> enough. I just saw a post nearby from Chalo that mentions
> that Bell and Giro are actually the same company--fooled me!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

Carl -

Since you're so fond of making things up, I can't add here in the same
way. But I wear a helmet, and can add insight, just maybe.

I have one helmet, Selev Alien, which fits the contours of my skull
perfectly. However, the front of it has a little bit of a beak, and
that is really distracting when in the drops. I got a heavier
replacement, the Selev Martix, also cost a little more, and it is
cooler, has not distracting protrusion, and the straps fit better.

Within the Matrix, there were color choices. I didn't decide to take
the Mao Tse Tung approach, and chose one I liked - blue white red
(different blue and red, as this is in France). I didn't pay more for
the color. Cooling is also better, and that is another safety factor.
The front pads are better placed for me, and sweat doesn't stream
directly into my eyes any longer. And I will likely not get woozy from
being overheated.

On another front, I did crash in the first race of the year, and
(nearly) enjoyed the feeling of hearing the (different) helmet
progressively crack as I did a double bounce I suspect that ANY helmet
that is certified and fits my skull would do, no question. I think
comfortable fit indicates the more likely an impact will be well
distributed, so it doesn't matter what the cost differences are. Not to
my skull.

As to style, I DO get the impression that you want us to wear uniforms
in all environments. You may deny that freely, but it's clear in your
text. Also clear in your text, you think that spending money many only
be rationally done. And for you, rationally means only as you see fit.
Not everyone will agree with that. We ought to send a team of
inspectors to your digs to see what you have in your cupboards in terms
of clothes. It could tell the real story. Or, maybe they would vomit ;
who knows.

More, you don't like people making money, seemingly ANY money, from the
wishes of a buyer to have what he wants. It's only because of
ridiculous and unreal standards like the ones you promulgate, that
people would feel obliged to say their helmet choices are due to
exceptional quality and design. Really, they bought something pretty,
and find it no longer acceptable to be seen as wanting that - they are
forced to come up with some lame-brained technical slop to defend their
choices. Balenciaga evening gowns probably don't seem at place at work,
but some women buy them, and wear them in suitable environments. They
are not BAD women. It's cool that women find no shame in looking good,
at least from my point of view. It's my tickle[sic]-down theory.

So, if you wear a helmet, fine. If it's ugly and that pleases you,
fine. But your whole line of thinking makes it seem that fields of corn
grown for ethanol use in extremely efficient mini-cars is more pleasant
to view than a single beautiful flower that serves no particular
purpose. That's what you are writing, in your own inimitable style, and
I think it's ****.
--
Bonne route

Sandy

Jay Beattie a écrit :
> Bestest Handsander wrote:
>
> <big snip>
>
>> Yea, and if his eyes are blue, then we know he's just a knee-jerk
>> reactionary! :) His statements stand for themselves. You claiming your $39
>> is just as good (light, aero, allows as much air through, whatever) as his
>> $100 helmet absent any empirical data, is just as unfounded as claiming the
>> limited edition lone star lance $225 model without evidence is better. It's
>> not your position per say that's the problem. It's that your position is
>> just as irrational as the one you're attacking. Facts, man! Facts.

> What possibly justifies a $200+ price tag for any foam helmet with a
> microshell? I think the answer is fashion and market elasticity. --
> Jay Beattie.

Yes, is there something wrong with that ?
Beats the routine of wearing a grey suit all the time.
Even with loud neckties.
--
Bonne route !

Sandy

[email protected] wrote:
> Why does it bother you so much that there a lot of people who consider
> the price difference chump change? Sounds like you're just jealous that
> there are folks with

"chump change"? Given the crowd we're talking about, that seems very
apt (a fool and his money, etc.).

And, FWIW, it doesn't "bother" me; I find consumer suckerism quite
amusing and fun to comment on.

> Ozark Bicycle <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > This brings us to an interesting chicken-and-egg question: which came
> > first, the over-priced product or the fashionista suckers who will buy
> > it?

On 26 Apr 2006 20:11:09 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>The big-mouth, small-brain fish stretches it's ego:
>
>John Forrest "fish brain" Tomlinson wrote:
>
>> Let it go. If they're stupid enough to overpay, and the money matters
>> to them, let them. Cheap helmets are readily available. Be happy
>> you're so smart. Just let your anger go. You'll feel better
>> eventually. Your insecurity about money and fashion can't be good for
>> you. Let them go.
>>

>Just keep your mouth open, I'll use the pliers to pull the hook out. It
>won't hurt, I promise.

I are saying that *you* have been trolling *me*?

I can't believe your money-hating insecurity is an act. It surfaces
way too often.

Funny.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On 26 Apr 2006 20:11:09 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >The big-mouth, small-brain fish stretches it's ego:
> >
> >John Forrest "fish brain" Tomlinson wrote:
> >
> >> Let it go. If they're stupid enough to overpay, and the money matters
> >> to them, let them. Cheap helmets are readily available. Be happy
> >> you're so smart. Just let your anger go. You'll feel better
> >> eventually. Your insecurity about money and fashion can't be good for
> >> you. Let them go.
> >>

> >Just keep your mouth open, I'll use the pliers to pull the hook out. It
> >won't hurt, I promise.

> I are saying that *you* have been trolling *me*?

Not trolling you or anyone else. But, given the subject matter and my
comments, I knew it was only a matter of time before you surfaced with
another in your endless stream of off-topic, personal attacks.

> I can't believe your money-hating insecurity is an act. It surfaces
> way too often.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Look! Another off-topic personal attack from John Forrest Tomlinson.

(But that's not news, is it?)

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 04:40:50 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>Why does it bother you so much that there a lot of people who consider
>the price difference chump change? Sounds like you're just jealous that
>there are folks with

Ozark - I didn't write the text above. And I do thing there is too
much consupmption in our world. But the question above seems right on
target, and the accusation might be right as well. Please consider
them.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

<[email protected]> wrote:

><[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> Indeed, it's not likely that the rider could tell the
>> slightly lighter models from the slightly heavier models.

>Source? I mean this opinion of yours is based upon some data... not just
>your assumptions, correct?

It's a matter of canonical fact in RBT that small differences in
weight, of anything, are ALWAYS insignficant.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 13:26:13 +0200, Sandy <[email protected]> wrote:

>Jay Beattie a écrit :
>> Bestest Handsander wrote:
>>
>> <big snip>
>>
>>> Yea, and if his eyes are blue, then we know he's just a knee-jerk
>>> reactionary! :) His statements stand for themselves. You claiming your $39
>>> is just as good (light, aero, allows as much air through, whatever) as his
>>> $100 helmet absent any empirical data, is just as unfounded as claiming the
>>> limited edition lone star lance $225 model without evidence is better. It's
>>> not your position per say that's the problem. It's that your position is
>>> just as irrational as the one you're attacking. Facts, man! Facts.

>> What possibly justifies a $200+ price tag for any foam helmet with a
>> microshell? I think the answer is fashion and market elasticity. --
>> Jay Beattie.
>>

>Yes, is there something wrong with that ?
>Beats the routine of wearing a grey suit all the time.
>Even with loud neckties.

No nothing wrong with it if that's what gives you gratification. But there
honestly isn't $200 difference between any top shelf helmet and an X-mart
product. Not in design, production costs or even liability coverage.

There is a difference no doubt, and if the price differential between the two
helmets was something like $25 or even $75 some case could be made that one was
buying some practical improvement, better straps and cushions for example.

Ron

RonSonic wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 13:26:13 +0200, Sandy <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Jay Beattie a écrit :
> >> Bestest Handsander wrote:
> >>
> >> <big snip>

> >> What possibly justifies a $200+ price tag for any foam helmet with a
> >> microshell? I think the answer is fashion and market elasticity. --
> >> Jay Beattie.
> >>

> >Yes, is there something wrong with that ?
> >Beats the routine of wearing a grey suit all the time.
> >Even with loud neckties.

> No nothing wrong with it if that's what gives you gratification. But there
> honestly isn't $200 difference between any top shelf helmet and an X-mart
> product. Not in design, production costs or even liability coverage.
>
> There is a difference no doubt, and if the price differential between thetwo
> helmets was something like $25 or even $75 some case could be made that one was
> buying some practical improvement, better straps and cushions for example.
>
> Ron

Cool racing style helmet: $200
Cheapo supermarket helmet: $15
Not looking like a dork: Priceless

Joseph

PS: My helmet USED to be cool...

[email protected] wrote:
> Ozark Bicycle wrote:
>
>> Werehatrack wrote:

>>> And then slice it another 50 to 80%, I suspect. 10:1 is typical for
>>> manufacturing/retail ratios, but the disparity goes way up for
>>> fashion items. I don't think there's much chance that a
>>> $225-retail Giro helmet really costs ten times as much to make as a
>>> $20 Bell.

>> Yep, I would guess the cost of manufacture of a ~$190 (retail price)
>> helmet to be in the $4-6 range (i.e., buying one is a confirmation
>> that Barnum was correct!).

> Well, yes and no. While the *incremental* cost of a high-end helmet is
> certainly within this range, the molds to make the helmets are not
> cheap. When I worked as a reporter for a bicycle trade magazine,
> someone at Giro once told me that a typical helmet mold (CNC'd from
> aluminum) cost on the order of $100,000.*
>
> Since a separate mold is needed for each size, a set of three molds
> (S,M,L) is around $300K. The FEA software required to simulate impacts
> (e.g., LSDyna) is not cheap either at ~$20K per seat. So there are
> significant investments to be amortized over the helmet's lifetime.
>
> Giro's top-end helmet used to be the Pneumo. Then they introduced the
> Atmos. They've kept the Pneumo around because once they've paid off
> the helmet molds, Giro's margins go through the roof--there's no
> reason to retire a perfectly good $100K mold. But the huge costs to
> be amortized should not be ignored just because the post-amortization
> margins are so good. At $300,000 for molds, Giro has to sell about
> 3,000 helmets ($189 retail, $99 dealer cost) before they break even.
> They've certainly broken even on the Atmos.

Eeek... what about overhead? Power, A/C, secretaries, machine operators,
mechanics... Unless you factored that into the mold cost.

Good perspective though.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

RonSonic wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 13:26:13 +0200, Sandy <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Jay Beattie a écrit :
>>> Bestest Handsander wrote:
>>>
>>> <big snip>

>>> What possibly justifies a $200+ price tag for any foam helmet with a
>>> microshell? I think the answer is fashion and market elasticity. --
>>> Jay Beattie.
>>>

>> Yes, is there something wrong with that ?
>> Beats the routine of wearing a grey suit all the time.
>> Even with loud neckties.

> No nothing wrong with it if that's what gives you gratification. But
> there honestly isn't $200 difference between any top shelf helmet and
> an X-mart product. Not in design, production costs or even liability
> coverage.
>
> There is a difference no doubt, and if the price differential between
> the two helmets was something like $25 or even $75 some case could be
> made that one was buying some practical improvement, better straps
> and cushions for example.

Ah, but there are MANY choices priced between the $200 and $10 helmets. One
can find a pretty decent-looking lid for $40-50...

Bill "cheap bastid" S.

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> Ozark Bicycle wrote:

>>> Yep, I would guess the cost of manufacture of a ~$190 (retail price)
>>> helmet to be in the $4-6 range (i.e., buying one is a confirmation
>>> that Barnum was correct!).

>> Well, yes and no. While the *incremental* cost of a high-end helmet
>> is certainly within this range, the molds to make the helmets are not
>> cheap. When I worked as a reporter for a bicycle trade magazine,
>> someone at Giro once told me that a typical helmet mold (CNC'd from
>> aluminum) cost on the order of $100,000.*
>>
>> Since a separate mold is needed for each size, a set of three molds
>> (S,M,L) is around $300K. The FEA software required to simulate
>> impacts (e.g., LSDyna) is not cheap either at ~$20K per seat. So
>> there are significant investments to be amortized over the helmet's
>> lifetime. Giro's top-end helmet used to be the Pneumo. Then they
>> introduced the
>> Atmos. They've kept the Pneumo around because once they've paid off
>> the helmet molds, Giro's margins go through the roof--there's no
>> reason to retire a perfectly good $100K mold. But the huge costs to
>> be amortized should not be ignored just because the post-amortization
>> margins are so good. At $300,000 for molds, Giro has to sell about
>> 3,000 helmets ($189 retail, $99 dealer cost) before they break even.
>> They've certainly broken even on the Atmos.

> Eeek... what about overhead? Power, A/C, secretaries, machine
> operators, mechanics... Unless you factored that into the mold cost.
>
> Good perspective though.

Mmmm, secretaries.

Bill "thread stopper?!?" S.

On 27 Apr 2006 00:34:49 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>I know someone who works at a shipping company. They told me about a
>shipment of helmets destined for a chain of discount stores. The
>declared value was under EUR 2. These were nice helmets too. I bough a
>couple once they hit the stores. Bug-mesh in the front vents, a quality
>turn-wheel thingee to adjust the size, nice straps with chin padding,
>etc. Not exactly the world's coolest design, but well made and
>certainly as much to produce as any Giro or Bell. Yet somebody is
>making money selling them for 2 Euros! (They retailed for about 15
>including taxes) Obviosly they don't have marketing costs, as it is a
>no-name. As for volume, who knows, but I'll bet Bell and Giro sure sell
>a lot more helmets.

One of the paradoxes of the US system is that in order to get a
safety-related product into the stores, you have to jump through
various hoops to get it officially blessed. This very process pretty
much ensures that only very large companies will enter the market, and
limits the consumer options in the process. I'm sure there are better
helmets for sale at more economical prices in the rest of the world,
where the mandate is different. Here, it looks to me like the
certification process is geared more toward making sure that the
producers are protected from competition than to provide the consumer
with an effective and/or useful product. (I will admit, however, that
the average consumer probably could no more evaluate the claims of
effectiveness of this class of items than they could truly understand
the ingredients list on a bottle of shampoo, but that's a different
issue.)
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

<big snip>

> Cool racing style helmet: $200
> Cheapo supermarket helmet: $15
> Not looking like a dork: Priceless

Although some of those really expensive helmets look pretty dorky. I
think they're supposed to make you look really fast even when you're
just standing in line at Starbucks. I am just going to stick some of
those Mercury-god-of-speed wings on my helmet and call it good. -- Jay
Beattie.

P.S. I know dorky helmets. I had a SkidLid in the late '70s.

Werehatrack wrote:
> On 27 Apr 2006 00:34:49 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >I know someone who works at a shipping company. They told me about a
> >shipment of helmets destined for a chain of discount stores. The
> >declared value was under EUR 2. These were nice helmets too. I bough a
> >couple once they hit the stores. Bug-mesh in the front vents, a quality
> >turn-wheel thingee to adjust the size, nice straps with chin padding,
> >etc. Not exactly the world's coolest design, but well made and
> >certainly as much to produce as any Giro or Bell. Yet somebody is
> >making money selling them for 2 Euros! (They retailed for about 15
> >including taxes) Obviosly they don't have marketing costs, as it is a
> >no-name. As for volume, who knows, but I'll bet Bell and Giro sure sell
> >a lot more helmets.

> One of the paradoxes of the US system is that in order to get a
> safety-related product into the stores, you have to jump through
> various hoops to get it officially blessed. This very process pretty
> much ensures that only very large companies will enter the market, and
> limits the consumer options in the process. I'm sure there are better
> helmets for sale at more economical prices in the rest of the world,
> where the mandate is different. Here, it looks to me like the
> certification process is geared more toward making sure that the
> producers are protected from competition than to provide the consumer
> with an effective and/or useful product. (I will admit, however, that
> the average consumer probably could no more evaluate the claims of
> effectiveness of this class of items than they could truly understand
> the ingredients list on a bottle of shampoo, but that's a different
> issue.)

I don't know the details of getting safety equipment approved in
Europe, but between Tüv and CE and various national standards, I'll
bet getting a single US DOT (or whoever is in charge) approval would be
easier, or at least no more difficult. These particular helmets have
approval marking for 5 different agencies/nationalities. My Giro has
just one, CE.

Joseph

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 01:54:12 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>Donald Gillies <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> So is it true that at a bike show 15 years ago, a customer came up to
>> the Giro booth and said,
>>
>> "I need a cool helmet"
>>
>> And in fact, he was asking for a helmet with better ventilation. But
>> the Italian marketing rep

>Considering that Giro is 100% American...no. But if you tell it often
>enough, the lie will seem real to republicans.

Dude, it was just a bad joke.

Didn't even have political content.

Especially didn't have insulting political content.

Come to think of it, is there any way, whatever, that this post was reasonably
answered by your pissy little one line political tantrum? Do that often - go off
and spit out hateful, little one-liners just at random?

Ron

Werehatrack <[email protected]> writes:

>One of the paradoxes of the US system is that in order to get a
>safety-related product into the stores, you have to jump through
>various hoops to get it officially blessed.

This brings up a VERY interesting possibility. The manufacturer
profit on a $225 helmet :

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...and=&sku=17236&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

==>> MIGHT ACTUALLY BE ZERO OR NEGATIVE <<==

Why ?? because the manufacturer's actuaries have PREDICTED that the
corners cut for fashion purposes will result in lawsuits that GREATLY
EXCEED the costs of a standard, dorky-looking helmet, which presumably
must generate no lawsuits because of its low costs. Therefore, in
fact, the high prices of stylish helmets could actually be natural
selection at work ...

===

My other theory about helmet prices concerns a study published in
SCIENCE 10 or 15 years ago, that stated that students wearing stocking
caps performed, on average, something like 5 points higher on IQ tests
than students without the stocking caps. Thus, if a cyclist with a
super-cool $225 helmet walks into a bike shop, he naturally buys
ANOTHER $225 helmet because the one currently atop his head is
lowering his IQ by at least 5 points (if that's possible, that is
,...)

- Don "still grin" Gillies
San Diego, CA

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=91&subcategory=1045&brand=&sku=17236

==>> MIGHT ACTUALLY BE ZERO OR NEGATIVE <<==

Why ?? because the manufacturer's actuaries have PREDICTED that the
corners cut for fashion purposes will result in huge lawsuits that
exceed the costs of a standard, dorky-looking helmet, which presumably
generates almost no lawsuits because of its low costs. Therefore, in
fact, the high prices of stylish helmets could actually be natural
selection at work ...

===

My other theory about helmet prices concerns a study published in
Science 10 or 15 years ago, that stated that students wearing stocking
caps performed, on average, something like 5 points higher on IQ tests
than students without the stocking caps - because their head was
cooler. Thus, if a cyclist with a super-cool $225 helmet walks into a