origins of The Ironman, the lost meaning of respect

roadhouse

Aug 2, 2009
Origins of the Ironman
The Ironman Triathlon

The first Ironman Triathlon took place on the island of Oahu in 1978. The race was inspired by a debate over who were the fittest athletes: swimmers, cyclists or runners. At the suggestion of John Collins, the routes for three existing races on Oahu were combined -- the Waikiki Roughwater Swim, the Around-Oahu Bike Race, and the Honolulu Marathon. Fifteen athletes began the challenge on February 18, 1978; and twelve finished the 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and 26.2 mile run. Gordon Haller was crowned the first "Ironman" with his winning time of 11 hours, 46 minutes, and 40 seconds.
sunset.jpg

In 1981, the Ironman moved to Kailua-Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii. Over the years, the race has grown exponentially. In addition to the Ironman World Championships held each October in Kailua-Kona, numerous Ironman events have sprouted up around the world. These events form part of an extensive qualifying series for the race in Hawaii. The World Triathlon Corporation (WTC), who runs the series, owns the trademark for the name "Ironman." Therefore, races of the same distance not affiliated with the Ironman series are now generically called "long-course triathlons."
Paula Newby-Fraser, also known as the "Queen of Kona" with her 8 victories in Hawaii, holds the record for most wins there. Dave Scott (aka "The Man") and Mark Allen (aka "The Grip") both hold 6 victories apiece. For many triathletes, finishing the race in Kona represents the pinnacle of achievement in the sport.

Why the hell is this in the Bloody Soap Box? It's just a freakin' cut and paste. Do you have the ability and skills to actually read the sub-forum titles and to deduce suitable topics from those titles?

alienator said:
Why the hell is this in the Bloody Soap Box? It's just a freakin' cut and paste. Do you have the ability and skills to actually read the sub-forum titles and to deduce suitable topics from those titles?

i'm guessing jhuskey did this cuase this is not my oringinal post at all so to all Ironmen or ST friends and family of mine, this is not my doing at all. and i'm pm-ing steve cause this is ****.

roadhouse said:
i'm guessing jhuskey did this cuase this is not my oringinal post at all so to all Ironmen or ST friends and family of mine, this is not my doing at all. and i'm pm-ing steve cause this is ****.

i've pm'd steve and told him that one of his mods made up a thread and put my name on it and that it wasn;t appreciated at all and that i'd like for this thread to be removed.

again, this thread is not my doing. i already have mine simply posted 'The Ironman" and no words such as 'the lost meaning of respect' are included albeit possibly they should.

Look, I know it's hard to remember or even know what your other personalities are doing, but you should try to control your other sides. I've seen this in a documentary once, it's a horrible sight to witness...

roadhouse said:

Then your guess would be wrong.To add to that, I have no mod rights in the Soapbox.

well, before this thread gets deleted or even if it doesn't, i'd like to say just one thing ; AYHSMB!! :D

Well Pink Slip's either a liar or a psycho. His name is all over the original post. No one else is so limp as to post something like that.

Maybe Pink Slip developed a new personality.

alienator said:
Well Pink Slip's either a liar or a psycho. His name is all over the original post. No one else is so limp as to post something like that.

Maybe Pink Slip developed a new personality.
What's up with all the 'Pink Slip' references?

cyberlegend1994 said:
What's up with all the 'Pink Slip' references?

You know, like when two guys that own hopped up cars race mano-a-mano? The winner gets the pink slip to the loser's car? It's the same thing with bikes, doubly so when you give the loser a 30 minute head start.

alienator said:
You know, like when two guys that own hopped up cars race mano-a-mano? The winner gets the pink slip to the loser's car? It's the same thing with bikes, doubly so when you give the loser a 30 minute head start.
Ahh yes, I've heard about those scenarios. So I take it he's getting those references because he made a 'challenge' like that earlier, which he ultimately withdrew?

:confused: women. :confused: when i want the attenion that they think i'm craving from them, they stand me up.

i'll be waiting though so make it good.

roadhouse said:
:confused: women. :confused: when i want the attenion that they think i'm craving from them, they stand me up.

i'll be waiting though so make it good.

roadi, If I were a woman, I wouldn't stand you up. I love you.