Orkney

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Jo Hardman, Apr 21, 2003.

  1. Jo Hardman

    Jo Hardman Guest

    Some time ago I posted a request for information on getting to Orkney with two 16 year olds and
    three bikes. I don't drive, and the boys are not really old enough to make the journey on their own
    and meet me there if the train would only take two bikes. After huge amounts of research (cost also
    being a major factor) I have now booked the journey. For the benefit of anybody else thinking of
    making this, or a similar journey, the best and cheapest way is to fly to Aberdeen (Easyjet, from
    Luton, so will have to scrounge a lift to there), then the overnight ferry from Aberdeen to
    Kirkwall. I have put my bike on an easyjet flight before with no problems, so hopefully this will
    work out ok. Jo

    Tags:

  2. Davep

    Davep Guest

    Jo Hardman wrote:

    > Some time ago I posted a request for information on getting to Orkney with two 16 year olds
    > and three bikes. I don't drive, and the boys are not really old enough to make the journey on
    > their own and meet me there if the train would only take two bikes.

    two sixteen yr olds not old enough to travel on their own? I cycled to Brighton when I was 11.
    Hitched round Wales at 14, and Scotland when I was 15. At 16 I hitched round France, met a guy on
    the beach at Stes-Maries-de-la-Mer and we decided to go to Corsica. We only had enough money for the
    ferry and food for a couple of days but we stayed a week living on bread, melons and oranges. Great
    memories. didn't like the mossies though.

    > After huge amounts of research (cost also being a major factor) I have now booked the journey.
    > For the benefit of anybody else thinking of making this, or a similar journey, the best and
    > cheapest way is to fly to Aberdeen (Easyjet, from Luton, so will have to scrounge a lift to
    > there), then the overnight ferry from Aberdeen to Kirkwall.

    I'm diving in Scapa in September and we're taking this route. Sorry I missed your earlier post or I
    would have suggested plane-ferry

    davep

  3. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "davep" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > two sixteen yr olds not old enough to travel on their own? I cycled to Brighton when I was 11.
    > Hitched round Wales at 14, and Scotland when I was 15. At 16 I hitched round France, met a guy on
    > the beach at Stes-Maries-de-la-Mer and we decided to go to Corsica.

    It's different these days. I used to go around London by myself at 14 and Holland at 16. I wouldn't
    let my 19 yr old daughter walk home from town alone now.

  4. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:

    > It's different these days. I used to go around London by myself at 14 and Holland at 16. I
    > wouldn't let my 19 yr old daughter walk home from town alone now.

    Its curious. I discussed it with my Dad a few years ago and he was equally unconcerned when I was
    young compared to how we feel now about our kids. And yet the murder rate for children by
    strangers (~ 6 pa) is the same now as it was then and they are at roughly ten time higher risk
    then and now of being murdered by someone in the family (~60 pa). I suspect its the much more
    extensive media coverage that has changed peoples perception of safety while the risk has not
    increased much if at all.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
    adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
    Bernard Shaw

  5. On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 08:44:17 +0000 (UTC), davep <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Jo Hardman wrote:
    >
    >> Some time ago I posted a request for information on getting to Orkney with two 16 year olds
    >> and three bikes. I don't drive, and the boys are not really old enough to make the journey on
    >> their own and meet me there if the train would only take two bikes.
    >
    >two sixteen yr olds not old enough to travel on their own? I cycled to Brighton when I was 11.
    >Hitched round Wales at 14, and Scotland when I was 15. At 16 I hitched round France, met a guy on
    >the beach at Stes-Maries-de-la-Mer and we decided to go to Corsica. We only had enough money for
    >the ferry and food for a couple of days but we stayed a week living on bread, melons and oranges.
    >Great memories. didn't like the mossies though.

    SNIP

    From the age of about 13 I was all over the place on my own; from youth hostelling in the UK to
    cycling in Sweden and Norway and visiting friends in Spain. And that was only 1983 onwards; hardly
    any half remembered golden era. No mobile phones then either.

    The only problem I had was on entering Sweden where the customs chap needed a bit of persuasion that
    I wasn't a runaway.

    I've got children myself now (only 6 and 4 at the moment) and will wish them the best of luck if
    they want to do their own thing. My wife might not, though :)

    I'd say that 16 is plenty old enough to make a known journey from a to
    b.

    It really bothers me, this children as prisoners syndrome that permeates fatherhood these days. If
    you keep them locked up until, say, 17 or 18 when they wander off to university or a job with money
    in their pockets. If that's their first go at independence; from total supervision to total freedom,
    they won't stand a chance.

  6. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > It really bothers me, this children as prisoners syndrome that permeates fatherhood these days. If
    > you keep them locked up until, say, 17 or 18 when they wander off to university or a job with
    > money in their pockets. If that's their first go at independence; from total supervision to total
    > freedom, they won't stand a chance.

    My daughter is now working in Leeds 60 miles away, so she's not a prisoner.That said, a few miles
    away, a young woman was on her way back from a New Years Eve party and pleaded with her mother to
    let her go and feed her cats in her flat a few minutes away from her parent's house. She's not here
    anymore and you can be sure that affected everyone , like Tony said.

  7. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Simon Mason wrote:

    > My daughter is now working in Leeds 60 miles away, so she's not a prisoner.That said, a few miles
    > away, a young woman was on her way back from a New Years Eve party and pleaded with her mother to
    > let her go and feed her cats in her flat a few minutes away from her parent's house. She's not
    > here anymore and you can be sure that affected everyone , like Tony said.

    OTOH, this is the sort of reaction that means hardly any kids cycle to school any more, because it's
    suddenly turned out to be dangerous so they have to be driven :-(

    In this case we've got a case of a couple of 16 year olds on a train, where very little is
    likely to happen to them. When they get off, they can either wait at the station or kill some
    time in Aberdeen, awaiting the next train. I don't visit Aberdeen that often, but there hasn't
    been any obvious lack of unaccompanied teenagers when I have, and I don't mean the sort I'd
    rather avoid meeting.

    16 is, after all, old enough to leave school and get married!

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  8. Jo Hardman

    Jo Hardman Guest

    They regularly cycle alone, but I am not happy about them travelling long distance and possibly
    being alone for 24 hours at some point on the journey. The boys are my son and his friend. As there
    has been a very recent family tragedy, I know his friends parents would not be at all happy with
    this. Jo "davep" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Jo Hardman wrote:
    >
    > > Some time ago I posted a request for information on getting to
    Orkney
    > > with two 16 year olds and three bikes. I don't drive, and the boys are
    not
    > > really old enough to make the journey on their own and meet me there if
    the
    > > train would only take two bikes.
    >
    > two sixteen yr olds not old enough to travel on their own? I cycled to Brighton when I was 11.
    > Hitched round Wales at 14, and Scotland when I was 15. At 16 I hitched round France, met a guy on
    > the beach at Stes-Maries-de-la-Mer and we decided to go to Corsica. We only had enough money for
    > the ferry and food for a couple of days but we stayed a week living on bread, melons and oranges.
    > Great memories. didn't like the mossies though.
    >

    > > After huge amounts of research (cost also being a major factor) I
    have
    > > now booked the journey. For the benefit of anybody else thinking of
    making
    > > this, or a similar journey, the best and cheapest way is to fly to
    Aberdeen
    > > (Easyjet, from Luton, so will have to scrounge a lift to there), then
    the
    > > overnight ferry from Aberdeen to Kirkwall.
    >
    > I'm diving in Scapa in September and we're taking this route. Sorry I missed your earlier post or
    > I would have suggested plane-ferry
    >
    > davep

  9. Jo Hardman

    Jo Hardman Guest

    They are not kept 'locked up' - they have considerable freedom. The point is that public transport
    and bikes never go together very well, I don't want them to have to deal with the problems alone, in
    many respects the journey is not 'known, and they would have to find somewhere to pitch their tent.
    No I am not worried about them being murdered - I agree that is an overstated risk. I do not think
    it likely they would come to any harm at all. You assume that is the reason I do not want them
    travelling alone. They are meant to be going for fun. If they spend the journey anxious and bored
    waiting somewhere for me that is not much fun. As I have already said there is also the matter of
    the other boy's parents. It is only a month since my son and his friend came home from school to
    find the friend's brother dead, having had a tragic accident at home. The parents are naturally
    somewhat anxious about their remaining children. Jo "[Not Responding]"
    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 08:44:17 +0000 (UTC), davep <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Jo Hardman wrote:
    > >
    > >> Some time ago I posted a request for information on getting to
    Orkney
    > >> with two 16 year olds and three bikes. I don't drive, and the boys are
    not
    > >> really old enough to make the journey on their own and meet me there if
    the
    > >> train would only take two bikes.
    > >
    > >two sixteen yr olds not old enough to travel on their own? I cycled to Brighton when I was 11.
    > >Hitched round Wales at 14, and Scotland when I was 15. At 16 I hitched round France, met a guy on
    > >the beach at Stes-Maries-de-la-Mer and we decided to go to Corsica. We only had enough money for
    > >the ferry and food for a couple of days but we stayed a week living on bread, melons and oranges.
    > >Great memories. didn't like the mossies though.
    > >

    > SNIP
    >
    > From the age of about 13 I was all over the place on my own; from youth hostelling in the UK to
    > cycling in Sweden and Norway and visiting friends in Spain. And that was only 1983 onwards; hardly
    > any half remembered golden era. No mobile phones then either.
    >
    > The only problem I had was on entering Sweden where the customs chap needed a bit of persuasion
    > that I wasn't a runaway.
    >
    > I've got children myself now (only 6 and 4 at the moment) and will wish them the best of luck if
    > they want to do their own thing. My wife might not, though :)
    >
    > I'd say that 16 is plenty old enough to make a known journey from a to
    > b.
    >
    > It really bothers me, this children as prisoners syndrome that permeates fatherhood these days. If
    > you keep them locked up until, say, 17 or 18 when they wander off to university or a job with
    > money in their pockets. If that's their first go at independence; from total supervision to total
    > freedom, they won't stand a chance.

  10. Jo Hardman

    Jo Hardman Guest

    "Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Simon Mason wrote:
    >
    > > My daughter is now working in Leeds 60 miles away, so she's not a
    > > prisoner.That said, a few miles away, a young woman was on her way back
    from
    > > a New Years Eve party and pleaded with her mother to let her go and feed
    her
    > > cats in her flat a few minutes away from her parent's house. She's not
    here
    > > anymore and you can be sure that affected everyone , like Tony said.
    >
    > OTOH, this is the sort of reaction that means hardly any kids cycle to school any more, because
    > it's suddenly turned out to be dangerous so they have to be driven :-(
    >
    > In this case we've got a case of a couple of 16 year olds on a train, where very little is likely
    > to happen to them. When they get off, they can either wait at the station or kill some time in
    > Aberdeen, awaiting the next train. I don't visit Aberdeen that often, but there hasn't been any
    > obvious lack of unaccompanied teenagers when I have, and I don't mean the sort I'd rather avoid
    > meeting.
    >
    > 16 is, after all, old enough to leave school and get married!
    >
    > Pete.
    > --
    > Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells
    > Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    > http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/ Another reason for not using the train is that it is incredibly
    > expensive,
    whereas flying is dirt cheap, and we can all go together. Jo

  11. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Jo Hardman wrote:
    > Another reason for not using the train is that it is incredibly expensive,
    >
    > whereas flying is dirt cheap, and we can all go together.

    Now that's a good reason! Do the bikes just go on standard baggage rates if you're over SleazyJet's
    minimum? Taking my skis to Norway with me with Rhino Air recently added about 40% to the bill! (it
    was still a bargain, mind).

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  12. Davo

    Davo Guest

    What a pile of crap..............this guy simply asked for advice and a route.. he didn't need
    telling how to be a parent.........

    I used to cycle everywhere aged around 11...that was 25 yrs ago ......... its
    2003..rape..mugging..robbery..shootings.. its not the times when the cops could slap ya round ya
    head and send you home for another one is it...

    and if any of you would send your child on a journey of around 24 hours alone with bikes not knowing
    where they were going ... then don't call your self a cairn parent.... adventurous or not....

    [email protected] you enjoy your holiday with your son & his mate... take care
    of them matey ...

    Baldy... the bigger it is the more it hurts!!!!!!!!

    "Jo Hardman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > They regularly cycle alone, but I am not happy about them travelling long distance and possibly
    > being alone for 24 hours at some point on the
    journey.
    > The boys are my son and his friend. As there has been a very recent family tragedy, I know his
    > friends parents would not be at all happy with this. Jo "davep"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Jo Hardman wrote:
    > >
    > > > Some time ago I posted a request for information on getting to
    > Orkney
    > > > with two 16 year olds and three bikes. I don't drive, and the boys are
    > not
    > > > really old enough to make the journey on their own and meet me there
    if
    > the
    > > > train would only take two bikes.
    > >
    > > two sixteen yr olds not old enough to travel on their own? I cycled to Brighton when I was 11.
    > > Hitched round Wales at 14, and Scotland when I was 15. At 16 I hitched round France, met a guy
    > > on the beach at Stes-Maries-de-la-Mer and we decided to go to Corsica. We only had enough money
    > > for the ferry and food for a couple of days but we stayed a week living on bread, melons and
    > > oranges. Great
    memories.
    > > didn't like the mossies though.
    > >

    > > > After huge amounts of research (cost also being a major factor) I
    > have
    > > > now booked the journey. For the benefit of anybody else thinking of
    > making
    > > > this, or a similar journey, the best and cheapest way is to fly to
    > Aberdeen
    > > > (Easyjet, from Luton, so will have to scrounge a lift to there), then
    > the
    > > > overnight ferry from Aberdeen to Kirkwall.
    > >
    > > I'm diving in Scapa in September and we're taking this route. Sorry I missed your earlier post
    > > or I would have suggested plane-ferry
    > >
    > > davep

  13. Davo

    Davo Guest

    that should read ...CARING

    thanx........

    "Davo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What a pile of crap..............this guy simply asked for advice and a route.. he didn't need
    > telling how to be a parent.........
    >
    > I used to cycle everywhere aged around 11...that was 25 yrs ago ......... its
    > 2003..rape..mugging..robbery..shootings.. its not the times when the cops could slap ya round ya
    > head and send you home for another one is it...
    >
    > and if any of you would send your child on a journey of around 24 hours alone with bikes not
    > knowing where they were going ... then don't call
    your
    > self a cairn parent.... adventurous or not....
    >
    > [email protected] you enjoy your holiday with your son
    &
    > his mate... take care of them matey ...
    >
    > Baldy... the bigger it is the more it hurts!!!!!!!!
    >

    > "Jo Hardman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > They regularly cycle alone, but I am not happy about them travelling
    long
    > > distance and possibly being alone for 24 hours at some point on the
    > journey.
    > > The boys are my son and his friend. As there has been a very recent
    family
    > > tragedy, I know his friends parents would not be at all happy with this. Jo "davep"
    > > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > > Orkney
    > > not
    > if
    > > the
    > > >
    > > > two sixteen yr olds not old enough to travel on their own? I cycled to Brighton when I was 11.
    > > > Hitched round Wales at 14, and Scotland when I was 15. At 16 I hitched round France, met a guy
    > > > on the beach at Stes-Maries-de-la-Mer and we decided to go to Corsica. We only had enough
    > > > money for the ferry and food for a couple of days but we stayed a week living on bread, melons
    > > > and oranges. Great
    > memories.
    > > > didn't like the mossies though.

    > > have
    > > making
    > > Aberdeen
    > > the
    > > >
    > > > I'm diving in Scapa in September and we're taking this route. Sorry I missed your earlier post
    > > > or I would have suggested plane-ferry
    > > >
    > > > davep

  14. Jo Hardman

    Jo Hardman Guest

    "Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Jo Hardman wrote:
    > > Another reason for not using the train is that it is incredibly
    expensive,

    > > whereas flying is dirt cheap, and we can all go together.
    >
    > Now that's a good reason! Do the bikes just go on standard baggage rates if you're over
    > SleazyJet's minimum? Taking my skis to Norway with me with Rhino Air recently added about 40% to
    > the bill! (it was still a bargain, mind).
    >
    > Pete.
    > --
    > Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells
    > Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    > http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/ 10kg extra allowed for 'sporting equipment' -providing it is
    > packed. After
    that you are into excess baggage, which doesn't worry me too much as flying to Aberdeen is costing
    £6.50 each + airport tax. Jo

  15. Jo Hardman

    Jo Hardman Guest

    "Davo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What a pile of crap..............this guy simply asked for advice and a route.. he didn't need
    > telling how to be a parent.........
    >
    > I used to cycle everywhere aged around 11...that was 25 yrs ago ......... its
    > 2003..rape..mugging..robbery..shootings.. its not the times when the cops could slap ya round ya
    > head and send you home for another one is it...
    >
    > and if any of you would send your child on a journey of around 24 hours alone with bikes not
    > knowing where they were going ... then don't call
    your
    > self a cairn parent.... adventurous or not....
    >
    > [email protected] you enjoy your holiday with your son
    &
    > his mate... take care of them matey ...
    >
    > Baldy... the bigger it is the more it hurts!!!!!!!!
    >

    > "Jo Hardman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > They regularly cycle alone, but I am not happy about them travelling
    long
    > > distance and possibly being alone for 24 hours at some point on the
    > journey.
    > > The boys are my son and his friend. As there has been a very recent
    family
    > > tragedy, I know his friends parents would not be at all happy with this. Jo "davep"
    > > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > > Orkney
    > > not
    > if
    > > the
    > > >
    > > > two sixteen yr olds not old enough to travel on their own? I cycled to Brighton when I was 11.
    > > > Hitched round Wales at 14, and Scotland when I was 15. At 16 I hitched round France, met a guy
    > > > on the beach at Stes-Maries-de-la-Mer and we decided to go to Corsica. We only had enough
    > > > money for the ferry and food for a couple of days but we stayed a week living on bread, melons
    > > > and oranges. Great
    > memories.
    > > > didn't like the mossies though.

    > > have
    > > making
    > > Aberdeen
    > > the
    > > >
    > > > I'm diving in Scapa in September and we're taking this route. Sorry I missed your earlier post
    > > > or I would have suggested plane-ferry
    > > >
    > > > davep
    > > >
    > > >Thanks for the support. Thought I should just point out that I am not a
    'chap' though! Definitely female! Jo

  16. Davo

    Davo Guest

    opppppppppps

    sorry...you still dont need to be told how to be a parent.... explains the post for DIRECTIONs now
    though.....lolololololo

    enjoy

    "Jo Hardman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:Ttdpa.2147$%[email protected]...

    > "Davo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > What a pile of crap..............this guy simply asked for advice and a route.. he didn't need
    > > telling how to be a parent.........
    > >
    > > I used to cycle everywhere aged around 11...that was 25 yrs ago
    > > its 2003..rape..mugging..robbery..shootings.. its not the times when the cops could slap ya
    > > round ya head and send you home for another one is it...
    > >
    > > and if any of you would send your child on a journey of around 24 hours alone with bikes not
    > > knowing where they were going ... then don't call
    > your
    > > self a cairn parent.... adventurous or not....
    > >
    > > [email protected] you enjoy your holiday with your
    son
    > &
    > > his mate... take care of them matey ...
    > >
    > > Baldy... the bigger it is the more it hurts!!!!!!!!
    > >

    > > "Jo Hardman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > They regularly cycle alone, but I am not happy about them travelling
    > long
    > > > distance and possibly being alone for 24 hours at some point on the
    > > journey.
    > > > The boys are my son and his friend. As there has been a very recent
    > family
    > > > tragedy, I know his friends parents would not be at all happy with
    this.
    > > > Jo "davep" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > Orkney
    > are
    > > > not