Orkney

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jo Hardman

Some time ago I posted a request for information on getting to Orkney with two 16 year olds and
three bikes. I don't drive, and the boys are not really old enough to make the journey on their own
and meet me there if the train would only take two bikes. After huge amounts of research (cost also
being a major factor) I have now booked the journey. For the benefit of anybody else thinking of
making this, or a similar journey, the best and cheapest way is to fly to Aberdeen (Easyjet, from
Luton, so will have to scrounge a lift to there), then the overnight ferry from Aberdeen to
Kirkwall. I have put my bike on an easyjet flight before with no problems, so hopefully this will
work out ok. Jo

Jo Hardman wrote:

> Some time ago I posted a request for information on getting to Orkney with two 16 year olds
> and three bikes. I don't drive, and the boys are not really old enough to make the journey on
> their own and meet me there if the train would only take two bikes.

two sixteen yr olds not old enough to travel on their own? I cycled to Brighton when I was 11.
Hitched round Wales at 14, and Scotland when I was 15. At 16 I hitched round France, met a guy on
the beach at Stes-Maries-de-la-Mer and we decided to go to Corsica. We only had enough money for the
ferry and food for a couple of days but we stayed a week living on bread, melons and oranges. Great
memories. didn't like the mossies though.

>
> After huge amounts of research (cost also being a major factor) I have now booked the journey.
> For the benefit of anybody else thinking of making this, or a similar journey, the best and
> cheapest way is to fly to Aberdeen (Easyjet, from Luton, so will have to scrounge a lift to
> there), then the overnight ferry from Aberdeen to Kirkwall.

I'm diving in Scapa in September and we're taking this route. Sorry I missed your earlier post or I
would have suggested plane-ferry

davep

"davep" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> two sixteen yr olds not old enough to travel on their own? I cycled to Brighton when I was 11.
> Hitched round Wales at 14, and Scotland when I was 15. At 16 I hitched round France, met a guy on
> the beach at Stes-Maries-de-la-Mer and we decided to go to Corsica.

It's different these days. I used to go around London by myself at 14 and Holland at 16. I wouldn't
let my 19 yr old daughter walk home from town alone now.

--
Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> It's different these days. I used to go around London by myself at 14 and Holland at 16. I
> wouldn't let my 19 yr old daughter walk home from town alone now.

Its curious. I discussed it with my Dad a few years ago and he was equally unconcerned when I was
young compared to how we feel now about our kids. And yet the murder rate for children by
strangers (~ 6 pa) is the same now as it was then and they are at roughly ten time higher risk
then and now of being murdered by someone in the family (~60 pa). I suspect its the much more
extensive media coverage that has changed peoples perception of safety while the risk has not
increased much if at all.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
Bernard Shaw

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 08:44:17 +0000 (UTC), davep <[email protected]> wrote:

>Jo Hardman wrote:
>
>> Some time ago I posted a request for information on getting to Orkney with two 16 year olds
>> and three bikes. I don't drive, and the boys are not really old enough to make the journey on
>> their own and meet me there if the train would only take two bikes.
>
>two sixteen yr olds not old enough to travel on their own? I cycled to Brighton when I was 11.
>Hitched round Wales at 14, and Scotland when I was 15. At 16 I hitched round France, met a guy on
>the beach at Stes-Maries-de-la-Mer and we decided to go to Corsica. We only had enough money for
>the ferry and food for a couple of days but we stayed a week living on bread, melons and oranges.
>Great memories. didn't like the mossies though.
>

SNIP

From the age of about 13 I was all over the place on my own; from youth hostelling in the UK to
cycling in Sweden and Norway and visiting friends in Spain. And that was only 1983 onwards; hardly
any half remembered golden era. No mobile phones then either.

The only problem I had was on entering Sweden where the customs chap needed a bit of persuasion that
I wasn't a runaway.

I've got children myself now (only 6 and 4 at the moment) and will wish them the best of luck if
they want to do their own thing. My wife might not, though :)

I'd say that 16 is plenty old enough to make a known journey from a to
b.

It really bothers me, this children as prisoners syndrome that permeates fatherhood these days. If
you keep them locked up until, say, 17 or 18 when they wander off to university or a job with money
in their pockets. If that's their first go at independence; from total supervision to total freedom,
they won't stand a chance.

"[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> It really bothers me, this children as prisoners syndrome that permeates fatherhood these days. If
> you keep them locked up until, say, 17 or 18 when they wander off to university or a job with
> money in their pockets. If that's their first go at independence; from total supervision to total
> freedom, they won't stand a chance.

My daughter is now working in Leeds 60 miles away, so she's not a prisoner.That said, a few miles
away, a young woman was on her way back from a New Years Eve party and pleaded with her mother to
let her go and feed her cats in her flat a few minutes away from her parent's house. She's not here
anymore and you can be sure that affected everyone , like Tony said.
--
Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Simon Mason wrote:

> My daughter is now working in Leeds 60 miles away, so she's not a prisoner.That said, a few miles
> away, a young woman was on her way back from a New Years Eve party and pleaded with her mother to
> let her go and feed her cats in her flat a few minutes away from her parent's house. She's not
> here anymore and you can be sure that affected everyone , like Tony said.

OTOH, this is the sort of reaction that means hardly any kids cycle to school any more, because it's
suddenly turned out to be dangerous so they have to be driven :-(

In this case we've got a case of a couple of 16 year olds on a train, where very little is
likely to happen to them. When they get off, they can either wait at the station or kill some
time in Aberdeen, awaiting the next train. I don't visit Aberdeen that often, but there hasn't
been any obvious lack of unaccompanied teenagers when I have, and I don't mean the sort I'd
rather avoid meeting.

16 is, after all, old enough to leave school and get married!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

They regularly cycle alone, but I am not happy about them travelling long distance and possibly
being alone for 24 hours at some point on the journey. The boys are my son and his friend. As there
has been a very recent family tragedy, I know his friends parents would not be at all happy with
this. Jo "davep" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Jo Hardman wrote:
>
> > Some time ago I posted a request for information on getting to
Orkney
> > with two 16 year olds and three bikes. I don't drive, and the boys are
not
> > really old enough to make the journey on their own and meet me there if
the
> > train would only take two bikes.
>
> two sixteen yr olds not old enough to travel on their own? I cycled to Brighton when I was 11.
> Hitched round Wales at 14, and Scotland when I was 15. At 16 I hitched round France, met a guy on
> the beach at Stes-Maries-de-la-Mer and we decided to go to Corsica. We only had enough money for
> the ferry and food for a couple of days but we stayed a week living on bread, melons and oranges.
> Great memories. didn't like the mossies though.
>
> >
> > After huge amounts of research (cost also being a major factor) I
have
> > now booked the journey. For the benefit of anybody else thinking of
making
> > this, or a similar journey, the best and cheapest way is to fly to
Aberdeen
> > (Easyjet, from Luton, so will have to scrounge a lift to there), then
the
> > overnight ferry from Aberdeen to Kirkwall.
>
> I'm diving in Scapa in September and we're taking this route. Sorry I missed your earlier post or
> I would have suggested plane-ferry
>
> davep

They are not kept 'locked up' - they have considerable freedom. The point is that public transport
and bikes never go together very well, I don't want them to have to deal with the problems alone, in
many respects the journey is not 'known, and they would have to find somewhere to pitch their tent.
No I am not worried about them being murdered - I agree that is an overstated risk. I do not think
it likely they would come to any harm at all. You assume that is the reason I do not want them
travelling alone. They are meant to be going for fun. If they spend the journey anxious and bored
waiting somewhere for me that is not much fun. As I have already said there is also the matter of
the other boy's parents. It is only a month since my son and his friend came home from school to
find the friend's brother dead, having had a tragic accident at home. The parents are naturally
somewhat anxious about their remaining children. Jo "[Not Responding]"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 08:44:17 +0000 (UTC), davep <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Jo Hardman wrote:
> >
> >> Some time ago I posted a request for information on getting to
Orkney
> >> with two 16 year olds and three bikes. I don't drive, and the boys are
not
> >> really old enough to make the journey on their own and meet me there if
the
> >> train would only take two bikes.
> >
> >two sixteen yr olds not old enough to travel on their own? I cycled to Brighton when I was 11.
> >Hitched round Wales at 14, and Scotland when I was 15. At 16 I hitched round France, met a guy on
> >the beach at Stes-Maries-de-la-Mer and we decided to go to Corsica. We only had enough money for
> >the ferry and food for a couple of days but we stayed a week living on bread, melons and oranges.
> >Great memories. didn't like the mossies though.
> >
>
> SNIP
>
> From the age of about 13 I was all over the place on my own; from youth hostelling in the UK to
> cycling in Sweden and Norway and visiting friends in Spain. And that was only 1983 onwards; hardly
> any half remembered golden era. No mobile phones then either.
>
> The only problem I had was on entering Sweden where the customs chap needed a bit of persuasion
> that I wasn't a runaway.
>
> I've got children myself now (only 6 and 4 at the moment) and will wish them the best of luck if
> they want to do their own thing. My wife might not, though :)
>
> I'd say that 16 is plenty old enough to make a known journey from a to
> b.
>
> It really bothers me, this children as prisoners syndrome that permeates fatherhood these days. If
> you keep them locked up until, say, 17 or 18 when they wander off to university or a job with
> money in their pockets. If that's their first go at independence; from total supervision to total
> freedom, they won't stand a chance.

"Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Simon Mason wrote:
>
> > My daughter is now working in Leeds 60 miles away, so she's not a
> > prisoner.That said, a few miles away, a young woman was on her way back
from
> > a New Years Eve party and pleaded with her mother to let her go and feed
her
> > cats in her flat a few minutes away from her parent's house. She's not
here
> > anymore and you can be sure that affected everyone , like Tony said.
>
> OTOH, this is the sort of reaction that means hardly any kids cycle to school any more, because
> it's suddenly turned out to be dangerous so they have to be driven :-(
>
> In this case we've got a case of a couple of 16 year olds on a train, where very little is likely
> to happen to them. When they get off, they can either wait at the station or kill some time in
> Aberdeen, awaiting the next train. I don't visit Aberdeen that often, but there hasn't been any
> obvious lack of unaccompanied teenagers when I have, and I don't mean the sort I'd rather avoid
> meeting.
>
> 16 is, after all, old enough to leave school and get married!
>
> Pete.
> --
> Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells
> Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
> http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/ Another reason for not using the train is that it is incredibly
> expensive,
whereas flying is dirt cheap, and we can all go together. Jo

Jo Hardman wrote:
> Another reason for not using the train is that it is incredibly expensive,
>
> whereas flying is dirt cheap, and we can all go together.

Now that's a good reason! Do the bikes just go on standard baggage rates if you're over SleazyJet's
minimum? Taking my skis to Norway with me with Rhino Air recently added about 40% to the bill! (it
was still a bargain, mind).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

What a pile of ****..............this guy simply asked for advice and a route.. he didn't need
telling how to be a parent.........

I used to cycle everywhere aged around 11...that was 25 yrs ago ......... its
2003..rape..mugging..robbery..shootings.. its not the times when the cops could slap ya round ya
head and send you home for another one is it...

and if any of you would send your child on a journey of around 24 hours alone with bikes not knowing
where they were going ... then don't call your self a cairn parent.... adventurous or not....

[email protected]......... you enjoy your holiday with your son & his mate... take care
of them matey ...

Baldy... the bigger it is the more it hurts!!!!!!!!

"Jo Hardman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> They regularly cycle alone, but I am not happy about them travelling long distance and possibly
> being alone for 24 hours at some point on the
journey.
> The boys are my son and his friend. As there has been a very recent family tragedy, I know his
> friends parents would not be at all happy with this. Jo "davep"
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Jo Hardman wrote:
> >
> > > Some time ago I posted a request for information on getting to
> Orkney
> > > with two 16 year olds and three bikes. I don't drive, and the boys are
> not
> > > really old enough to make the journey on their own and meet me there
if
> the
> > > train would only take two bikes.
> >
> > two sixteen yr olds not old enough to travel on their own? I cycled to Brighton when I was 11.
> > Hitched round Wales at 14, and Scotland when I was 15. At 16 I hitched round France, met a guy
> > on the beach at Stes-Maries-de-la-Mer and we decided to go to Corsica. We only had enough money
> > for the ferry and food for a couple of days but we stayed a week living on bread, melons and
> > oranges. Great
memories.
> > didn't like the mossies though.
> >
> > >
> > > After huge amounts of research (cost also being a major factor) I
> have
> > > now booked the journey. For the benefit of anybody else thinking of
> making
> > > this, or a similar journey, the best and cheapest way is to fly to
> Aberdeen
> > > (Easyjet, from Luton, so will have to scrounge a lift to there), then
> the
> > > overnight ferry from Aberdeen to Kirkwall.
> >
> > I'm diving in Scapa in September and we're taking this route. Sorry I missed your earlier post
> > or I would have suggested plane-ferry
> >
> > davep
> >
>

that should read ...CARING

thanx........

"Davo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> What a pile of ****..............this guy simply asked for advice and a route.. he didn't need
> telling how to be a parent.........
>
> I used to cycle everywhere aged around 11...that was 25 yrs ago ......... its
> 2003..rape..mugging..robbery..shootings.. its not the times when the cops could slap ya round ya
> head and send you home for another one is it...
>
> and if any of you would send your child on a journey of around 24 hours alone with bikes not
> knowing where they were going ... then don't call
your
> self a cairn parent.... adventurous or not....
>
> [email protected]......... you enjoy your holiday with your son
&
> his mate... take care of them matey ...
>
> Baldy... the bigger it is the more it hurts!!!!!!!!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> "Jo Hardman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > They regularly cycle alone, but I am not happy about them travelling
long
> > distance and possibly being alone for 24 hours at some point on the
> journey.
> > The boys are my son and his friend. As there has been a very recent
family
> > tragedy, I know his friends parents would not be at all happy with this. Jo "davep"
> > <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Jo Hardman wrote:
> > >
> > > > Some time ago I posted a request for information on getting to
> > Orkney
> > > > with two 16 year olds and three bikes. I don't drive, and the boys
are
> > not
> > > > really old enough to make the journey on their own and meet me there
> if
> > the
> > > > train would only take two bikes.
> > >
> > > two sixteen yr olds not old enough to travel on their own? I cycled to Brighton when I was 11.
> > > Hitched round Wales at 14, and Scotland when I was 15. At 16 I hitched round France, met a guy
> > > on the beach at Stes-Maries-de-la-Mer and we decided to go to Corsica. We only had enough
> > > money for the ferry and food for a couple of days but we stayed a week living on bread, melons
> > > and oranges. Great
> memories.
> > > didn't like the mossies though.
> > >
> > > >
> > > > After huge amounts of research (cost also being a major factor)
I
> > have
> > > > now booked the journey. For the benefit of anybody else thinking of
> > making
> > > > this, or a similar journey, the best and cheapest way is to fly to
> > Aberdeen
> > > > (Easyjet, from Luton, so will have to scrounge a lift to there),
then
> > the
> > > > overnight ferry from Aberdeen to Kirkwall.
> > >
> > > I'm diving in Scapa in September and we're taking this route. Sorry I missed your earlier post
> > > or I would have suggested plane-ferry
> > >
> > > davep
> > >
> > >
> >
>

"Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Jo Hardman wrote:
> > Another reason for not using the train is that it is incredibly
expensive,
> >
> > whereas flying is dirt cheap, and we can all go together.
>
> Now that's a good reason! Do the bikes just go on standard baggage rates if you're over
> SleazyJet's minimum? Taking my skis to Norway with me with Rhino Air recently added about 40% to
> the bill! (it was still a bargain, mind).
>
> Pete.
> --
> Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells
> Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
> http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/ 10kg extra allowed for 'sporting equipment' -providing it is
> packed. After
that you are into excess baggage, which doesn't worry me too much as flying to Aberdeen is costing
£6.50 each + airport tax. Jo

"Davo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> What a pile of ****..............this guy simply asked for advice and a route.. he didn't need
> telling how to be a parent.........
>
> I used to cycle everywhere aged around 11...that was 25 yrs ago ......... its
> 2003..rape..mugging..robbery..shootings.. its not the times when the cops could slap ya round ya
> head and send you home for another one is it...
>
> and if any of you would send your child on a journey of around 24 hours alone with bikes not
> knowing where they were going ... then don't call
your
> self a cairn parent.... adventurous or not....
>
> [email protected]......... you enjoy your holiday with your son
&
> his mate... take care of them matey ...
>
> Baldy... the bigger it is the more it hurts!!!!!!!!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> "Jo Hardman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > They regularly cycle alone, but I am not happy about them travelling
long
> > distance and possibly being alone for 24 hours at some point on the
> journey.
> > The boys are my son and his friend. As there has been a very recent
family
> > tragedy, I know his friends parents would not be at all happy with this. Jo "davep"
> > <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > Jo Hardman wrote:
> > >
> > > > Some time ago I posted a request for information on getting to
> > Orkney
> > > > with two 16 year olds and three bikes. I don't drive, and the boys
are
> > not
> > > > really old enough to make the journey on their own and meet me there
> if
> > the
> > > > train would only take two bikes.
> > >
> > > two sixteen yr olds not old enough to travel on their own? I cycled to Brighton when I was 11.
> > > Hitched round Wales at 14, and Scotland when I was 15. At 16 I hitched round France, met a guy
> > > on the beach at Stes-Maries-de-la-Mer and we decided to go to Corsica. We only had enough
> > > money for the ferry and food for a couple of days but we stayed a week living on bread, melons
> > > and oranges. Great
> memories.
> > > didn't like the mossies though.
> > >
> > > >
> > > > After huge amounts of research (cost also being a major factor)
I
> > have
> > > > now booked the journey. For the benefit of anybody else thinking of
> > making
> > > > this, or a similar journey, the best and cheapest way is to fly to
> > Aberdeen
> > > > (Easyjet, from Luton, so will have to scrounge a lift to there),
then
> > the
> > > > overnight ferry from Aberdeen to Kirkwall.
> > >
> > > I'm diving in Scapa in September and we're taking this route. Sorry I missed your earlier post
> > > or I would have suggested plane-ferry
> > >
> > > davep
> > >
> > >Thanks for the support. Thought I should just point out that I am not a
'chap' though! Definitely female! Jo
> >
>

opppppppppps

sorry...you still dont need to be told how to be a parent.... explains the post for DIRECTIONs now
though.....lolololololo

enjoy

news:Ttdpa.2147$%[email protected]...
>
> "Davo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > What a pile of ****..............this guy simply asked for advice and a route.. he didn't need
> > telling how to be a parent.........
> >
> > I used to cycle everywhere aged around 11...that was 25 yrs ago
> > its 2003..rape..mugging..robbery..shootings.. its not the times when the cops could slap ya
> > round ya head and send you home for another one is it...
> >
> > and if any of you would send your child on a journey of around 24 hours alone with bikes not
> > knowing where they were going ... then don't call
> your
> > self a cairn parent.... adventurous or not....
> >
> > [email protected]......... you enjoy your holiday with your
son
> &
> > his mate... take care of them matey ...
> >
> > Baldy... the bigger it is the more it hurts!!!!!!!!
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > "Jo Hardman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > They regularly cycle alone, but I am not happy about them travelling
> long
> > > distance and possibly being alone for 24 hours at some point on the
> > journey.
> > > The boys are my son and his friend. As there has been a very recent
> family
> > > tragedy, I know his friends parents would not be at all happy with
this.
> > > Jo "davep" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> > > > Jo Hardman wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > Some time ago I posted a request for information on getting to
> > > Orkney
> > > > > with two 16 year olds and three bikes. I don't drive, and the boys
> are
> > > not
> > > > > really old enough to make the journey on their own and meet me
there
> > if
> > > the
> > > > > train would only take two bikes.
> > > >
> > > > two sixteen yr olds not old enough to travel on their own? I cycled to Brighton when I was
> > > > 11. Hitched round Wales at 14, and Scotland when I was 15. At 16 I hitched round France, met
> > > > a guy on the beach at Stes-Maries-de-la-Mer and we decided to go to
Corsica.
> > > > We only had enough money for the ferry and food for a couple of days but we stayed a week
> > > > living on bread, melons and oranges. Great
> > memories.
> > > > didn't like the mossies though.
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > After huge amounts of research (cost also being a major
factor)
> I
> > > have
> > > > > now booked the journey. For the benefit of anybody else thinking
of
> > > making
> > > > > this, or a similar journey, the best and cheapest way is to fly to
> > > Aberdeen
> > > > > (Easyjet, from Luton, so will have to scrounge a lift to there),
> then
> > > the
> > > > > overnight ferry from Aberdeen to Kirkwall.
> > > >
> > > > I'm diving in Scapa in September and we're taking this route. Sorry I missed your earlier
> > > > post or I would have suggested
plane-ferry
> > > >
> > > > davep
> > > >
> > > >Thanks for the support. Thought I should just point out that I am not
a
> 'chap' though! Definitely female! Jo
> > >
> > >
> >
>

opppppppppps

sorry...you still dont need to be told how to be a parent.... explains the post for DIRECTIONs now
though.....lolololololo

enjoy

news:Ttdpa.2147$%[email protected]...
>
> "Davo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > What a pile of ****..............this guy simply asked for advice and a route.. he didn't need
> > telling how to be a parent.........
> >
> > I used to cycle everywhere aged around 11...that was 25 yrs ago
> > its 2003..rape..mugging..robbery..shootings.. its not the times when the cops could slap ya
> > round ya head and send you home for another one is it...
> >
> > and if any of you would send your child on a journey of around 24 hours alone with bikes not
> > knowing where they were going ... then don't call
> your
> > self a cairn parent.... adventurous or not....
> >
> > [email protected]......... you enjoy your holiday with your
son
> &
> > his mate... take care of them matey ...
> >
> > Baldy... the bigger it is the more it hurts!!!!!!!!
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > "Jo Hardman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > They regularly cycle alone, but I am not happy about them travelling
> long
> > > distance and possibly being alone for 24 hours at some point on the
> > journey.
> > > The boys are my son and his friend. As there has been a very recent
> family
> > > tragedy, I know his friends parents would not be at all happy with
this.
> > > Jo "davep" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> > > > Jo Hardman wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > Some time ago I posted a request for information on getting to
> > > Orkney
> > > > > with two 16 year olds and three bikes. I don't drive, and the boys
> are
> > > not
> > > > > really old enough to make the journey on their own and meet me
there
> > if
> > > the
> > > > > train would only take two bikes.
> > > >
> > > > two sixteen yr olds not old enough to travel on their own? I cycled to Brighton when I was
> > > > 11. Hitched round Wales at 14, and Scotland when I was 15. At 16 I hitched round France, met
> > > > a guy on the beach at Stes-Maries-de-la-Mer and we decided to go to
Corsica.
> > > > We only had enough money for the ferry and food for a couple of days but we stayed a week
> > > > living on bread, melons and oranges. Great
> > memories.
> > > > didn't like the mossies though.
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > After huge amounts of research (cost also being a major
factor)
> I
> > > have
> > > > > now booked the journey. For the benefit of anybody else thinking
of
> > > making
> > > > > this, or a similar journey, the best and cheapest way is to fly to
> > > Aberdeen
> > > > > (Easyjet, from Luton, so will have to scrounge a lift to there),
> then
> > > the
> > > > > overnight ferry from Aberdeen to Kirkwall.
> > > >
> > > > I'm diving in Scapa in September and we're taking this route. Sorry I missed your earlier
> > > > post or I would have suggested
plane-ferry
> > > >
> > > > davep
> > > >
> > > >Thanks for the support. Thought I should just point out that I am not
a
> 'chap' though! Definitely female! Jo
> > >
> > >
> >
>