OS Explorer maps - updating?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Simon, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. Simon

    Simon Guest

    It's been a long time since I posted here. Hope someone can help.

    Does anyone know how often OS Explorer maps are revised? I noticed that one
    I was looking to buy is copyright date 2001. I'd be a bit annoyed if I
    bought it only to find a new edition out this year.

    I couldn't find anything on the OS site but didn't look too long as my
    connection's a bit dodgy today.

    Thanks in advance.

    Tags:

  2. On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 15:33:09 -0000, "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote:

    |It's been a long time since I posted here. Hope someone can help.
    |
    |Does anyone know how often OS Explorer maps are revised? I noticed that one
    |I was looking to buy is copyright date 2001. I'd be a bit annoyed if I
    |bought it only to find a new edition out this year.
    |
    |I couldn't find anything on the OS site but didn't look too long as my
    |connection's a bit dodgy today.

    They have all just been updated to include Open Access/Right to Roam areas.
    These include a standard update of things the OS knew about.
    The new editions have gray on the back and gray in the front top right
    hand corner with, the walker on uneven ground, Open Access Logo.
    http://www.ramblers.org.uk/freedom/
    --
    Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
    17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.net

  3. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "Dave Fawthrop" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    They have all just been updated to include Open Access/Right to Roam areas.
    These include a standard update of things the OS knew about.
    The new editions have gray on the back and gray in the front top right
    hand corner with, the walker on uneven ground, Open Access Logo.
    http://www.ramblers.org.uk/freedom/

    That's great. Thanks for the quick reply.

  4. Rob Devereux

    Rob Devereux Guest

    "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > It's been a long time since I posted here. Hope someone can help.
    >
    > Does anyone know how often OS Explorer maps are revised? I noticed that

    one
    > I was looking to buy is copyright date 2001. I'd be a bit annoyed if I
    > bought it only to find a new edition out this year.

    As I understand it, the problem is that the surveying for a map, (some of
    which will be thorough and some of which will not be, depending on certain
    criteria) will obviously take some time and by the time that has been
    finished and the map actually edited and printed, there will be some delay
    between the two. I seem to recall they are all dated and have the actual
    data date and whether they are new surveys or based on original maps in the
    details either on the back or in the map.

    Graham would know as he is(or was, not sure) a surveyor for OS.

    Rob

  5. Graham Seed

    Graham Seed Guest

    "Rob Devereux" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> It's been a long time since I posted here. Hope someone can help.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know how often OS Explorer maps are revised? I noticed that

    > one
    >> I was looking to buy is copyright date 2001. I'd be a bit annoyed if I
    >> bought it only to find a new edition out this year.
    >>

    > As I understand it, the problem is that the surveying for a map, (some of
    > which will be thorough and some of which will not be, depending on certain
    > criteria) will obviously take some time and by the time that has been
    > finished and the map actually edited and printed, there will be some delay
    > between the two. I seem to recall they are all dated and have the actual
    > data date and whether they are new surveys or based on original maps in
    > the
    > details either on the back or in the map.
    >
    > Graham would know as he is(or was, not sure) a surveyor for OS.
    >
    > Rob

    You're right, the maps are noi fully revised as this would be impractical,
    but have been revised to include all significant change. This could be a new
    road or a large increase of an urban area. Hopefully, we've managed to get
    all the new Tourist Information on, although i know this is a bone of
    contention with purist map users! The maps are due for publication in line
    with the Access Land roll out, ie for England, the East will be last. I
    finished revising my bit (Lincolnshire) in November, so you're right - it
    will take a few months before publication occurs in this case, but quite a
    lot of England is now published.

    Don't buy any new maps until the new edition is published. Get down to your
    local supplier to find the publication dates for the new maps. See
    http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/osw...display=/products_new/25k/index.cfm?shop_ID=1
    for publication order (hope that link works!)

    Graham

  6. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "Graham Seed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Rob Devereux" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Simon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>> It's been a long time since I posted here. Hope someone can help.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know how often OS Explorer maps are revised? I noticed that

    >> one
    >>> I was looking to buy is copyright date 2001. I'd be a bit annoyed if I
    >>> bought it only to find a new edition out this year.
    >>>

    >> As I understand it, the problem is that the surveying for a map, (some
    >> of
    >> which will be thorough and some of which will not be, depending on
    >> certain
    >> criteria) will obviously take some time and by the time that has been
    >> finished and the map actually edited and printed, there will be some
    >> delay
    >> between the two. I seem to recall they are all dated and have the actual
    >> data date and whether they are new surveys or based on original maps in
    >> the
    >> details either on the back or in the map.
    >>
    >> Graham would know as he is(or was, not sure) a surveyor for OS.
    >>
    >> Rob
    >>

    > You're right, the maps are noi fully revised as this would be impractical,
    > but have been revised to include all significant change. This could be a
    > new road or a large increase of an urban area. Hopefully, we've managed to
    > get all the new Tourist Information on, although i know this is a bone of
    > contention with purist map users! The maps are due for publication in line
    > with the Access Land roll out, ie for England, the East will be last. I
    > finished revising my bit (Lincolnshire) in November, so you're right - it
    > will take a few months before publication occurs in this case, but quite a
    > lot of England is now published.
    >
    > Don't buy any new maps until the new edition is published. Get down to
    > your local supplier to find the publication dates for the new maps. See
    > http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/osw...display=/products_new/25k/index.cfm?shop_ID=1
    > for publication order (hope that link works!)
    >
    > Graham

    Thank you both for the information. The map I was looking at is the Pentland
    Hills (sheet 344) and, on the basis of what you've told me, a chat with my
    local supplier seems the sensible thing to do.

  7. Simon wrote:
    > "Graham Seed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >>You're right, the maps are noi fully revised as this would be impractical,
    >>but have been revised to include all significant change. This could be a
    >>new road or a large increase of an urban area. Hopefully, we've managed to
    >>get all the new Tourist Information on, although i know this is a bone of
    >>contention with purist map users! The maps are due for publication in line
    >>with the Access Land roll out, ie for England, the East will be last. I
    >>finished revising my bit (Lincolnshire) in November, so you're right - it
    >>will take a few months before publication occurs in this case, but quite a
    >>lot of England is now published.
    >>
    >>Don't buy any new maps until the new edition is published. Get down to
    >>your local supplier to find the publication dates for the new maps. See
    >>http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/osw...display=/products_new/25k/index.cfm?shop_ID=1
    >>for publication order (hope that link works!)
    >>
    >>Graham

    > Thank you both for the information. The map I was looking at is the Pentland
    > Hills (sheet 344) and, on the basis of what you've told me, a chat with my
    > local supplier seems the sensible thing to do.

    The Access Land thing only applies to England and Wales, so won't affect
    the updating of maps of Scotland.
    So I've no idea if there will be a new Pentlands map published anytime
    soon or not.

    By the way, I prefer the Harveys Pentlands map to the OS Explorer. The
    essential information i.e. paths, contours etc is much clearer, and it
    shows which paths are suitable for cycling etc.
    And its waterproof (which can be useful).

    --
    Craig Wallace
    http://craig.neogeo.org.uk

  8. Graham Seed

    Graham Seed Guest

    "Craig Wallace" <[email protected]_NOSPAM_mail.fm> wrote

    > The Access Land thing only applies to England and Wales, so won't affect
    > the updating of maps of Scotland.
    > So I've no idea if there will be a new Pentlands map published anytime
    > soon or not.

    Good point. Try an e mail to [email protected] to check
    on Scottish updates.

    Graham

  9. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "Graham Seed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Craig Wallace" <[email protected]_NOSPAM_mail.fm> wrote
    >

    >> The Access Land thing only applies to England and Wales, so won't affect
    >> the updating of maps of Scotland.
    >> So I've no idea if there will be a new Pentlands map published anytime
    >> soon or not.
    >>

    > Good point. Try an e mail to [email protected] to
    > check on Scottish updates.
    >
    > Graham

    Thanks, I've emailed them. I'll post again if I hear anything substantive.

  10. Richard Webb

    Richard Webb Guest

    Some have not been revised for many years. The Atholl sheet and some
    in that area of the Mounth are still reformatted 2nd series maps from
    the early 1970s.

    This is interesting as given that there are two 912m corbetts in the
    area, a demotion could easily occur on the new photogrammetric plot,
    and that will really sort out the redliners - its a long way to Beinn
    Bhreac.

    I expect they will update the roads and tourist crap occassionally,
    but the whole map will be very infrequent.

    If you are concerned about that sort of thing, if buying English maps,
    look for the ones with the orange splodges on.

    Richard Webb

  11. Richard Webb

    Richard Webb Guest

    >Thank you both for the information. The map I was looking at is the Pentland
    >Hills (sheet 344) and, on the basis of what you've told me, a chat with my
    >local supplier seems the sensible thing to do.

    Dont worry about the orange stuff. They are updating maps of England
    and Wales with that, There are unlikely to be any changes to that
    sheet for a while, and those will probably be all the new housing
    estates going up in Midlothian.

    There are a couple of new road rail projects due in the area in the
    next few years.

    The map is quite buyable now.

    Richard Webb

  12. druidh

    druidh Guest

    I'd go with Harveys for the Pentlands too. Shows more paths, gives
    better idea of the terrain and is actually the one the Ranger service
    use. (Ignore the bit on cycle paths though - the information came from
    the Park Rangers and is both unnecessary and unenforceable).

    druidh

  13. On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 15:42:19 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >They have all just been updated to include Open Access/Right to Roam areas.
    >These include a standard update of things the OS knew about.

    That's not actually the case, though I might suppose be true for
    England and Wales. The one that includes Ballachuli9sh for instance.
    The forests below Bheinn a' Beithir are mapped the same as on my old
    green pathfinder map, which was based on a survey at least 10 years
    older than the Landranger. The Landranger was more or less correct,
    the Pathfinder wasn't, and so now the Explorer isn't.

    S.
    --
    Oppose ID cards and the database state
    http://www.no2id.com/

  14. Dickie mint

    Dickie mint Guest

    Graham Seed wrote:

    > You're right, the maps are noi fully revised as this would be impractical,
    > but have been revised to include all significant change. This could be a new
    > road or a large increase of an urban area. Hopefully, we've managed to get
    > all the new Tourist Information on, although i know this is a bone of
    > contention with purist map users! The maps are due for publication in line
    > with the Access Land roll out, ie for England, the East will be last. I
    > finished revising my bit (Lincolnshire) in November, so you're right - it
    > will take a few months before publication occurs in this case, but quite a
    > lot of England is now published.
    >
    > Don't buy any new maps until the new edition is published. Get down to your
    > local supplier to find the publication dates for the new maps. See
    > http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/osw...display=/products_new/25k/index.cfm?shop_ID=1
    > for publication order (hope that link works!)
    >
    > Graham

    Thanks for this, Graham.

    Thought it'd be a laugh to try out the recently aired BBC Midlands Today
    Wyre Forest walk. Went on it and got s bit confused. Needed 218 to
    check out some paths, and bought it yesterday from Smiths!

    Just checked it and found it's 1999! So it's back to Smiths to try for
    a refund!

    It might be glaringly obvious, but how do you find out when this one is
    due to be re-published?
    Richard
    --

  15. Graham Seed

    Graham Seed Guest

    "Dickie mint" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Thanks for this, Graham.
    >
    > Thought it'd be a laugh to try out the recently aired BBC Midlands Today
    > Wyre Forest walk. Went on it and got s bit confused. Needed 218 to check
    > out some paths, and bought it yesterday from Smiths!
    >
    > Just checked it and found it's 1999! So it's back to Smiths to try for a
    > refund!
    >
    > It might be glaringly obvious, but how do you find out when this one is
    > due to be re-published?

    218 is in area 7 which was completed in October last year. However, that
    doesn't automatically mean the new edition is in the shops now. I'm only a
    surveyor so I don't know any more information than is on the website. Try
    Smiths again, but if in doubt get in touch direct with OS or ring a
    competent stockist. I always found the Mapshop at Upton on Severn very good.
    http://www.themapshop.co.uk/

    Graham

  16. Dickie Mint

    Dickie Mint Guest

    Graham Seed wrote:
    > "Dickie mint" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> Thanks for this, Graham.
    >>
    >> Thought it'd be a laugh to try out the recently aired BBC Midlands Today
    >> Wyre Forest walk. Went on it and got s bit confused. Needed 218 to check
    >> out some paths, and bought it yesterday from Smiths!
    >>
    >> Just checked it and found it's 1999! So it's back to Smiths to try for a
    >> refund!
    >>
    >> It might be glaringly obvious, but how do you find out when this one is
    >> due to be re-published?
    >>

    > 218 is in area 7 which was completed in October last year. However, that
    > doesn't automatically mean the new edition is in the shops now. I'm only a
    > surveyor so I don't know any more information than is on the website. Try
    > Smiths again, but if in doubt get in touch direct with OS or ring a
    > competent stockist. I always found the Mapshop at Upton on Severn very good.
    > http://www.themapshop.co.uk/
    >
    > Graham

    Thanks again, Graham! But not "only" a surveyor. A very helpful one too!!!

    Mapshop are not listing a newer version, so I'll email OS to find out
    when one's due out.

    We got particularly confused in Eymore Wood, where the actual paths
    weren't on the map we had (Landranger). They weren't on the Explorer
    218 either!

    Richard
    --

  17. Graham Seed

    Graham Seed Guest

    "Dickie Mint" wrote

    > Thanks again, Graham! But not "only" a surveyor. A very helpful one
    > too!!!
    >
    > Mapshop are not listing a newer version, so I'll email OS to find out when
    > one's due out.
    >
    > We got particularly confused in Eymore Wood, where the actual paths
    > weren't on the map we had (Landranger). They weren't on the Explorer 218
    > either!

    My gut feeling is that the map isn't published yet, but it probably wont be
    long before it is. This doesn't mean that the newer version will have lots
    of update on it - it might be that the only thing that's changed is that the
    access areas are tinted yellow!

    As for the paths, if they are surveyed at the basic scale (1:1250 in towns,
    1:2500 in the country and 1:10000 moorland and mountains) then they will be
    transferred to the Explorer and Landranger maps. However, I have to say
    that's not the first thing on my agenda when i'm out there surveying!

    Graham