OS Explorer Maps?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Candt, May 17, 2003.

  1. Candt

    Candt Guest

    Looking to start some slightly further afield MTB treks soon. I have an Explorer map of the Brecons
    Beacons, which looks like the best of the local areas, but was wondering how to read the map
    properly to find the legal routes. Which routes can be used safely and legally for MTB's... Is it
    always the green dashed routes which are the public bridleways? Anyone have a site which would
    outline what are legal routes?

    Cheers,

    CandT

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], CandT <[email protected]> typed:
    > Looking to start some slightly further afield MTB treks soon. I have an Explorer map of the
    > Brecons Beacons, which looks like the best of the local areas, but was wondering how to read the
    > map properly to find the legal routes. Which routes can be used safely and legally for MTB's... Is
    > it always the green dashed routes which are the public bridleways? Anyone have a site which would
    > outline what are legal routes?

    http://www.ctc.org.uk/services/Rights.aspx

    The right to use them does not mean its safe to use them. Some bridleways are virtually impassable
    even on foot e.g Rosset Ghyll in the Lakes. The level of "safety" depends on your experience and
    riding skill so its up to you to judge. On the ground inspection is the only way and part of the fun
    of finding new routes. Worst comes to worst you can always get off and walk

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  3. Candt

    Candt Guest

    >http://www.ctc.org.uk/services/Rights.aspx
    >
    >The right to use them does not mean its safe to use them. Some bridleways are virtually impassable
    >even on foot e.g Rosset Ghyll in the Lakes. The level of "safety" depends on your experience and
    >riding skill so its up to you to judge. On the ground inspection is the only way and part of the
    >fun of finding new routes. Worst comes to worst you can always get off and walk
    >
    >Tony
    Cheers for that - but which routes on the map are you allowed to go on?

    What I mean is - if you're planning a route - albeit possibly a short one because a particular
    trail may be impassable! - which dotted and dashed lines do you immedaitely say - well - can't go
    on that because bikes arent allowed, and which ones do you say - cool - thats a good way from there
    to there...

    Cheers,

    CandT

  4. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "CandT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > >http://www.ctc.org.uk/services/Rights.aspx
    > >
    > >The right to use them does not mean its safe to use them. Some
    bridleways
    > >are virtually impassable even on foot e.g Rosset Ghyll in the Lakes. The level of "safety"
    > >depends on your experience and riding skill so its up
    > >you to judge. On the ground inspection is the only way and part of the
    fun
    > >of finding new routes. Worst comes to worst you can always get off and
    walk

    > >Tony
    > Cheers for that - but which routes on the map are you allowed to go on?
    >
    > What I mean is - if you're planning a route - albeit possibly a short one because a particular
    > trail may be impassable! - which dotted and dashed
    lines do
    > you immedaitely say - well - can't go on that because bikes arent allowed,
    and
    > which ones do you say - cool - thats a good way from there to there...

    Footpaths, no, bridleways yes. Look at the key to work out which are bridleways. (dashed).

    To confuse matters there are other tracks you can use, eg some marked with
    1.5mm dots round here.

    cheers, clive

  5. CandT wrote:
    >>http://www.ctc.org.uk/services/Rights.aspx
    >>

    > Cheers for that - but which routes on the map are you allowed to go on?

    Take a look at the url Tony quoted, above.

    > What I mean is - if you're planning a route - albeit possibly a short one because a particular
    > trail may be impassable! - which dotted and dashed lines do you immedaitely say - well - can't go
    > on that because bikes arent allowed, and which ones do you say - cool - thats a good way from
    > there to there...

    i.e.

    You are allowed on most roads (motorways being one exception obviously) You are allowed on RUPPs and
    BOATs---these each have their own key on the maps. You are allowed on bridleways---are there
    exceptions here despite what it says on the CTC page? You are not allowed to cycle on footpaths but
    you can push your bike.

    Other tracks and paths not shown as rights of way will depend on the land-owner, assume that they
    are out unless you have local knowledge.

    On explorer maps also look out for specifically marked cycleways (green dots and dashes IIRC)

    Colin