OS map software (again!)

Rich

Guest
Hello,

I've been lurking and reading your posts of wisdom for a while, but the time has come now to ask
a question!

I'm considering the purchase of some UK OS map software on CD for the coming season.

My problem is that I'd ideally like to be using it on a number of computers at the same time; I have
a desktop at home amd an old but servicable laptop that I use in my car for downloading GPS data 'in
the field'. Both machines are regularly connected tothe internet and to each other.

I think that some of the manufacturers are getting a bit clever about 'copy protecting' their
software - well, at that price you would, wouldn't you!

My usage pattern will probably mean that it look like two seperate people have got the same software
installed on their computers at the same time.

I'd like feedback from current users - is this going to be a problem?

Thanks,

Rich.

"Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> I've been lurking and reading your posts of wisdom for a while, but the time has come now to ask a
> question!
>
> I'm considering the purchase of some UK OS map software on CD for the coming season.
>
> My problem is that I'd ideally like to be using it on a number of computers at the same time; I
> have a desktop at home amd an old but servicable laptop that I use in my car for downloading GPS
> data 'in the field'. Both machines are regularly connected tothe internet and to each other.
>
> I think that some of the manufacturers are getting a bit clever about 'copy protecting' their
> software - well, at that price you would, wouldn't you!
>
> My usage pattern will probably mean that it look like two seperate people have got the same
> software installed on their computers at the same time.
>
> I'd like feedback from current users - is this going to be a problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich.

I'll avoid trying to argue the rights and wrongs of this, but Anquet has just introduced a new
protection mechanism. During the beta, I had installed it on one machine, then another. In this
case, I just had to re-register with the newly-generated unique ID and off I went. I guess that the
only problem will come when attempting an upgrade as the same "justification" process would be
required for one of the machines. I believe that this restriction has been incorporated at the
insistence of the OS.

druidh

"Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> druidh wrote:
>
> > I'll avoid trying to argue the rights and wrongs of this, but Anquet has just introduced a new
> > protection mechanism.
>
> Yes, but I think they allow you to use it on a handheld PC as well, don't they? Not sure of the
> details.
>
> Paul

PDA rather than "handheld PC" - though it's only the Pocket PC OS that's supported. The EULA also
limits the PDA file size to a "mere" 1,600 sq km of
1:50,000 data.

druidh