OS Select maps

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Andrew Conroy, Jan 7, 2005.

  1. Hi folks,

    I'm looking at getting an OS Select 1:25000 map ready for the North Downs
    Challenge walk this year (saves the walk keep swapping between a couple
    of maps). However, I wondered if the folded version was as waterproof as
    a standard OS map? I've seen a flat OS Select map bought (from a map shop
    rather than direct from OS) and it was printed on a large format inkjet
    printer, so the ink would smudge horribly if it got a bit wet, not what
    you want out on the Downs in the pouring rain.

    Anyone got any experience of these?

    Andrew

    --
    +----------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
    | Andrew Conroy, Owl-Art Un-Ltd. | email: [email protected] |

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    Andrew Conroy <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Hi folks,

    > I'm looking at getting an OS Select 1:25000 map ready for the North
    > Downs Challenge walk this year (saves the walk keep swapping between a
    > couple of maps). However, I wondered if the folded version was as
    > waterproof as a standard OS map? I've seen a flat OS Select map bought
    > (from a map shop rather than direct from OS) and it was printed on a
    > large format inkjet printer, so the ink would smudge horribly if it got
    > a bit wet, not what you want out on the Downs in the pouring rain.

    > Anyone got any experience of these?

    I can't believe nobody has any experience of using OS Select maps!
    Somebody out there must have got one, so what's it like?

    Andrew

    --
    +----------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
    | Andrew Conroy, Owl-Art Un-Ltd. | email: [email protected] |
    | Coming to you on an Acorn RiscPC SA110 | Snail: 58 Newland Road, |
    | | Worthing, |
    | 'OwlArt' on IRC (ZFC A) | West Sussex. U.K. |
    +----------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
    The impossible I can do at once, miracles take a little longer!!

  3. JeffC

    JeffC Guest

    --
    astrecks(at)yahooyourbrain(dot)com (remove your brain to reply)

    Always look on the bright side of life (De do, de do, de doody doody do)

    "Andrew Conroy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Andrew Conroy <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Hi folks,

    > > I'm looking at getting an OS Select 1:25000 map ready for the North
    > > Downs Challenge walk this year (saves the walk keep swapping between a
    > > couple of maps). However, I wondered if the folded version was as
    > > waterproof as a standard OS map?

    > > I've seen a flat OS Select map bought
    > > (from a map shop rather than direct from OS) and it was printed on a
    > > large format inkjet printer, so the ink would smudge horribly if it got
    > > a bit wet, not what you want out on the Downs in the pouring rain.

    I can't imagine OS selling any map that was likely
    to smudge in the wet.
    A search on the website indicates the map are
    printed using a high quality inkjet printer,
    maybe high quality means the inks are water proof?

    > > Anyone got any experience of these?

    Sorry, I don't have any experience of these custom
    maps, you could try emailing them, they're usually quite prompt with the