OS Select maps

It is easy to align a compass with a pocketpc.
It stores enough maps for the whole Pennine Way.
Easy to recharge with the iSun solar charger.
Does not blow away in the wind.
Plus all the other things you can do with it, record your days journey,
collect email, listen to music etc, etc.
I love useful technology.

--
Regards, Kenneth.
www.kmiles.co.uk
"Darren G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>> A better way, download the map to a pocketpc.
>>

> as long as you only intend to walk for a few hours (if lucky).
>
> Give me long-life powered paper map any day. Plus it will be of a size
> where you can actually read it, align a compass to take bearings, etc
> etc.
>
> There are some occasions where technology is not the answer.
>
> --
> Darren
> mail to darren not ng

In article <[email protected]>, Kenneth Miles
<[email protected]> writes
>It is easy to align a compass with a pocketpc.

Not if you cant see the two points you wish to take a bearing between at
the same time (more than a couple of km apart depending upon scale and
screen size).

>It stores enough maps for the whole Pennine Way.

Better make sure you have the install files for the mapping product on
the memory card as well so you can reinstall if you need to do a hard
reset or the battery runs out.

>Easy to recharge with the iSun solar charger.

Something else to carry and potentially go wrong.

>Does not blow away in the wind.
>Plus all the other things you can do with it, record your days journey,
>collect email, listen to music etc, etc.

You better hope theres plenty of sun for that charger!

>I love useful technology.

So do I but in this case I prefer colour printers, map software and a
laminator ;-) much more robust.

If I were able to put maps on my PPC (which already has GPS built in) I
would certainly have a play with it. However I have used a mapping GPS
(Garmin eMap) in the USA with Garmin's Mapsource Topo maps. I used it
every day in the woods n hills for over four weeks and came to know the
limitations of screen area quite well. Those maps a vector which means
you can zoom in and out much more usefully than the raster maps being
offered in OS based products.

--

Dominic Sexton

"Dominic Sexton" <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Kenneth Miles
> <[email protected]> writes
>>It is easy to align a compass with a pocketpc.

> Not if you cant see the two points you wish to take a bearing between at
> the same time (more than a couple of km apart depending upon scale and
> screen size).

2 km is enough for me to plot at a time.

>>It stores enough maps for the whole Pennine Way.

> Better make sure you have the install files for the mapping product on the
> memory card as well so you can reinstall if you need to do a hard reset or
> the battery runs out.

All my maps are stored on the memory card..

>>Easy to recharge with the iSun solar charger.

> Something else to carry and potentially go wrong.

Very light and reliable and straps to backpack.

>>Does not blow away in the wind.
>>Plus all the other things you can do with it, record your days journey,
>>collect email, listen to music etc, etc.

> You better hope theres plenty of sun for that charger!

Used for 57 days in 2004 walking the SWCP.
Never had to buy a battery for shaver, GPS, charged mobile, camera and
pocketpc

>>I love useful technology.

> So do I but in this case I prefer colour printers, map software and a
> laminator ;-) much more robust.

Every one to his choice but I would disagree on the robustness comment.

> Dominic Sexton

Regards, Kenneth.
www.kmiles.co.uk

"Dominic Sexton" <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Kenneth Miles
> <[email protected]> writes
>>It is easy to align a compass with a pocketpc.

> Not if you cant see the two points you wish to take a bearing between at
> the same time (more than a couple of km apart depending upon scale and
> screen size).

2 km is enough for me to plot at a time.

>>It stores enough maps for the whole Pennine Way.

> Better make sure you have the install files for the mapping product on the
> memory card as well so you can reinstall if you need to do a hard reset or
> the battery runs out.

All my maps are stored on the memory card..

>>Easy to recharge with the iSun solar charger.

> Something else to carry and potentially go wrong.

Very light and reliable and straps to backpack.

>>Does not blow away in the wind.
>>Plus all the other things you can do with it, record your days journey,
>>collect email, listen to music etc, etc.

> You better hope theres plenty of sun for that charger!

Used for 57 days in 2004 walking the SWCP.
Never had to buy a battery for shaver, GPS, charged mobile, camera and
pocketpc

>>I love useful technology.

> So do I but in this case I prefer colour printers, map software and a
> laminator ;-) much more robust.

Every one to his choice but I would disagree on the robustness comment.

> Dominic Sexton

Regards, Kenneth.
www.kmiles.co.uk

"Dominic Sexton" <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Kenneth Miles
> <[email protected]> writes
>>It is easy to align a compass with a pocketpc.

> Not if you cant see the two points you wish to take a bearing between at
> the same time (more than a couple of km apart depending upon scale and
> screen size).

2 km is enough for me to plot at a time.

>>It stores enough maps for the whole Pennine Way.

> Better make sure you have the install files for the mapping product on the
> memory card as well so you can reinstall if you need to do a hard reset or
> the battery runs out.

All my maps are stored on the memory card..

>>Easy to recharge with the iSun solar charger.

> Something else to carry and potentially go wrong.

Very light and reliable and straps to backpack.

>>Does not blow away in the wind.
>>Plus all the other things you can do with it, record your days journey,
>>collect email, listen to music etc, etc.

> You better hope theres plenty of sun for that charger!

Used for 57 days in 2004 walking the SWCP.
Never had to buy a battery for shaver, GPS, charged mobile, camera and
pocketpc

>>I love useful technology.

> So do I but in this case I prefer colour printers, map software and a
> laminator ;-) much more robust.

Every one to his choice but I would disagree on the robustness comment.

> Dominic Sexton

Regards, Kenneth.
www.kmiles.co.uk

"Dominic Sexton" <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Kenneth Miles
> <[email protected]> writes
>>It is easy to align a compass with a pocketpc.

> Not if you cant see the two points you wish to take a bearing between at
> the same time (more than a couple of km apart depending upon scale and
> screen size).

2 km is enough for me to plot at a time.

>>It stores enough maps for the whole Pennine Way.

> Better make sure you have the install files for the mapping product on the
> memory card as well so you can reinstall if you need to do a hard reset or
> the battery runs out.

All my maps are stored on the memory card..

>>Easy to recharge with the iSun solar charger.

> Something else to carry and potentially go wrong.

Very light and reliable and straps to backpack.

>>Does not blow away in the wind.
>>Plus all the other things you can do with it, record your days journey,
>>collect email, listen to music etc, etc.

> You better hope theres plenty of sun for that charger!

Used for 57 days in 2004 walking the SWCP.
Never had to buy a battery for shaver, GPS, charged mobile, camera and
pocketpc

>>I love useful technology.

> So do I but in this case I prefer colour printers, map software and a
> laminator ;-) much more robust.

Every one to his choice but I would disagree on the robustness comment.

> Dominic Sexton

Regards, Kenneth.
www.kmiles.co.uk

"Dominic Sexton" <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Kenneth Miles
> <[email protected]> writes
>>It is easy to align a compass with a pocketpc.

> Not if you cant see the two points you wish to take a bearing between at
> the same time (more than a couple of km apart depending upon scale and
> screen size).

2 km is enough for me to plot at a time.

>>It stores enough maps for the whole Pennine Way.

> Better make sure you have the install files for the mapping product on the
> memory card as well so you can reinstall if you need to do a hard reset or
> the battery runs out.

All my maps are stored on the memory card..

>>Easy to recharge with the iSun solar charger.

> Something else to carry and potentially go wrong.

Very light and reliable and straps to backpack.

>>Does not blow away in the wind.
>>Plus all the other things you can do with it, record your days journey,
>>collect email, listen to music etc, etc.

> You better hope theres plenty of sun for that charger!

Used for 57 days in 2004 walking the SWCP.
Never had to buy a battery for shaver, GPS, charged mobile, camera and
pocketpc

>>I love useful technology.

> So do I but in this case I prefer colour printers, map software and a
> laminator ;-) much more robust.

Every one to his choice but I would disagree on the robustness comment.

> Dominic Sexton

Regards, Kenneth.
www.kmiles.co.uk

"Dominic Sexton" <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Kenneth Miles
> <[email protected]> writes
>>It is easy to align a compass with a pocketpc.

> Not if you cant see the two points you wish to take a bearing between at
> the same time (more than a couple of km apart depending upon scale and
> screen size).

2 km is enough for me to plot at a time.

>>It stores enough maps for the whole Pennine Way.

> Better make sure you have the install files for the mapping product on the
> memory card as well so you can reinstall if you need to do a hard reset or
> the battery runs out.

All my maps are stored on the memory card..

>>Easy to recharge with the iSun solar charger.

> Something else to carry and potentially go wrong.

Very light and reliable and straps to backpack.

>>Does not blow away in the wind.
>>Plus all the other things you can do with it, record your days journey,
>>collect email, listen to music etc, etc.

> You better hope theres plenty of sun for that charger!

Used for 57 days in 2004 walking the SWCP.
Never had to buy a battery for shaver, GPS, charged mobile, camera and
pocketpc

>>I love useful technology.

> So do I but in this case I prefer colour printers, map software and a
> laminator ;-) much more robust.

Every one to his choice but I would disagree on the robustness comment.

> Dominic Sexton

Regards, Kenneth.
www.kmiles.co.uk

"Dominic Sexton" <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Kenneth Miles
> <[email protected]> writes
>>It is easy to align a compass with a pocketpc.

> Not if you cant see the two points you wish to take a bearing between at
> the same time (more than a couple of km apart depending upon scale and
> screen size).

2 km is enough for me to plot at a time.

>>It stores enough maps for the whole Pennine Way.

> Better make sure you have the install files for the mapping product on the
> memory card as well so you can reinstall if you need to do a hard reset or
> the battery runs out.

All my maps are stored on the memory card..

>>Easy to recharge with the iSun solar charger.

> Something else to carry and potentially go wrong.

Very light and reliable and straps to backpack.

>>Does not blow away in the wind.
>>Plus all the other things you can do with it, record your days journey,
>>collect email, listen to music etc, etc.

> You better hope theres plenty of sun for that charger!

Used for 57 days in 2004 walking the SWCP.
Never had to buy a battery for shaver, GPS, charged mobile, camera and
pocketpc

>>I love useful technology.

> So do I but in this case I prefer colour printers, map software and a
> laminator ;-) much more robust.

Every one to his choice but I would disagree on the robustness comment.

> Dominic Sexton

Regards, Kenneth.
www.kmiles.co.uk

"Dominic Sexton" <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Kenneth Miles
> <[email protected]> writes
>>It is easy to align a compass with a pocketpc.

> Not if you cant see the two points you wish to take a bearing between at
> the same time (more than a couple of km apart depending upon scale and
> screen size).

2 km is enough for me to plot at a time.

>>It stores enough maps for the whole Pennine Way.

> Better make sure you have the install files for the mapping product on the
> memory card as well so you can reinstall if you need to do a hard reset or
> the battery runs out.

All my maps are stored on the memory card..

>>Easy to recharge with the iSun solar charger.

> Something else to carry and potentially go wrong.

Very light and reliable and straps to backpack.

>>Does not blow away in the wind.
>>Plus all the other things you can do with it, record your days journey,
>>collect email, listen to music etc, etc.

> You better hope theres plenty of sun for that charger!

Used for 57 days in 2004 walking the SWCP.
Never had to buy a battery for shaver, GPS, charged mobile, camera and
pocketpc

>>I love useful technology.

> So do I but in this case I prefer colour printers, map software and a
> laminator ;-) much more robust.

Every one to his choice but I would disagree on the robustness comment.

> Dominic Sexton

Regards, Kenneth.
www.kmiles.co.uk

"Dominic Sexton" <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Kenneth Miles
> <[email protected]> writes
>>It is easy to align a compass with a pocketpc.

> Not if you cant see the two points you wish to take a bearing between at
> the same time (more than a couple of km apart depending upon scale and
> screen size).

2 km is enough for me to plot at a time.

>>It stores enough maps for the whole Pennine Way.

> Better make sure you have the install files for the mapping product on the
> memory card as well so you can reinstall if you need to do a hard reset or
> the battery runs out.

All my maps are stored on the memory card..

>>Easy to recharge with the iSun solar charger.

> Something else to carry and potentially go wrong.

Very light and reliable and straps to backpack.

>>Does not blow away in the wind.
>>Plus all the other things you can do with it, record your days journey,
>>collect email, listen to music etc, etc.

> You better hope theres plenty of sun for that charger!

Used for 57 days in 2004 walking the SWCP.
Never had to buy a battery for shaver, GPS, charged mobile, camera and
pocketpc

>>I love useful technology.

> So do I but in this case I prefer colour printers, map software and a
> laminator ;-) much more robust.

Every one to his choice but I would disagree on the robustness comment.

> Dominic Sexton

Regards, Kenneth.
www.kmiles.co.uk

"Dominic Sexton" <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Kenneth Miles
> <[email protected]> writes
>>It is easy to align a compass with a pocketpc.

> Not if you cant see the two points you wish to take a bearing between at
> the same time (more than a couple of km apart depending upon scale and
> screen size).

2 km is enough for me to plot at a time.

>>It stores enough maps for the whole Pennine Way.

> Better make sure you have the install files for the mapping product on the
> memory card as well so you can reinstall if you need to do a hard reset or
> the battery runs out.

All my maps are stored on the memory card..

>>Easy to recharge with the iSun solar charger.

> Something else to carry and potentially go wrong.

Very light and reliable and straps to backpack.

>>Does not blow away in the wind.
>>Plus all the other things you can do with it, record your days journey,
>>collect email, listen to music etc, etc.

> You better hope theres plenty of sun for that charger!

Used for 57 days in 2004 walking the SWCP.
Never had to buy a battery for shaver, GPS, charged mobile, camera and
pocketpc

>>I love useful technology.

> So do I but in this case I prefer colour printers, map software and a
> laminator ;-) much more robust.

Every one to his choice but I would disagree on the robustness comment.

> Dominic Sexton

Regards, Kenneth.
www.kmiles.co.uk

"Dominic Sexton" <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Kenneth Miles
> <[email protected]> writes
>>It is easy to align a compass with a pocketpc.

> Not if you cant see the two points you wish to take a bearing between at
> the same time (more than a couple of km apart depending upon scale and
> screen size).

2 km is enough for me to plot at a time.

>>It stores enough maps for the whole Pennine Way.

> Better make sure you have the install files for the mapping product on the
> memory card as well so you can reinstall if you need to do a hard reset or
> the battery runs out.

All my maps are stored on the memory card..

>>Easy to recharge with the iSun solar charger.

> Something else to carry and potentially go wrong.

Very light and reliable and straps to backpack.

>>Does not blow away in the wind.
>>Plus all the other things you can do with it, record your days journey,
>>collect email, listen to music etc, etc.

> You better hope theres plenty of sun for that charger!

Used for 57 days in 2004 walking the SWCP.
Never had to buy a battery for shaver, GPS, charged mobile, camera and
pocketpc

>>I love useful technology.

> So do I but in this case I prefer colour printers, map software and a
> laminator ;-) much more robust.

Every one to his choice but I would disagree on the robustness comment.

> Dominic Sexton

Regards, Kenneth.
www.kmiles.co.uk

In article <[email protected]>, Kenneth Miles
<[email protected]> writes
>"Dominic Sexton" <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Better make sure you have the install files for the mapping product on the
>> memory card as well so you can reinstall if you need to do a hard reset or
>> the battery runs out.

>All my maps are stored on the memory card..

Good - but you need the program to access the maps. If you have to do a
hard reset or the battery runs flat you loose all the installed programs
that are not on the ROM (included in the OS).

To be able to use your maps you need to be able to reinstall the
program. If you don't have a PC with you then you need a copy of the
install program on a memory card so that you can reinstall it or you
won't be able to use your maps. Some programs may not even install from
a memory card in which case a backup utility would be best option. They
can copy all the installed software and data to a memory card from which
you can then restore the system. Sprite backup has been recommended to
me but I have not had the need, yet:

http://www.spritesoftware.com/home.html

>>>Easy to recharge with the iSun solar charger.

>> Something else to carry and potentially go wrong.

>Very light and reliable and straps to backpack.
>>
>>>Does not blow away in the wind.
>>>Plus all the other things you can do with it, record your days journey,
>>>collect email, listen to music etc, etc.

>> You better hope theres plenty of sun for that charger!

>Used for 57 days in 2004 walking the SWCP.
>Never had to buy a battery for shaver, GPS, charged mobile, camera and
>pocketpc

The iSun was your only source of power for all those items 57 days? I'm
impressed if that's the case.

>>>I love useful technology.

>> So do I but in this case I prefer colour printers, map software and a
>> laminator ;-) much more robust.

>Every one to his choice but I would disagree on the robustness comment.

You really think a laminated paper map is less robust than a PDA? How
do you keep the PDA safe in bad weather? You usually need to refer to
the map more in bad conditions than good. It does of course depend on
how demanding the navigation is but for the majority of my uses the PDA
would not be suitable.

--

Dominic Sexton