OS Select maps

Andrew Conroy

Guest
Hi folks,

I'm looking at getting an OS Select 1:25000 map ready for the North Downs
Challenge walk this year (saves the walk keep swapping between a couple
of maps). However, I wondered if the folded version was as waterproof as
a standard OS map? I've seen a flat OS Select map bought (from a map shop
rather than direct from OS) and it was printed on a large format inkjet
printer, so the ink would smudge horribly if it got a bit wet, not what
you want out on the Downs in the pouring rain.

Anyone got any experience of these?

Andrew

--
+----------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
| Andrew Conroy, Owl-Art Un-Ltd. | email: [email protected] |

In article <[email protected]>,
Andrew Conroy <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi folks,

> I'm looking at getting an OS Select 1:25000 map ready for the North
> Downs Challenge walk this year (saves the walk keep swapping between a
> couple of maps). However, I wondered if the folded version was as
> waterproof as a standard OS map? I've seen a flat OS Select map bought
> (from a map shop rather than direct from OS) and it was printed on a
> large format inkjet printer, so the ink would smudge horribly if it got
> a bit wet, not what you want out on the Downs in the pouring rain.

> Anyone got any experience of these?

I can't believe nobody has any experience of using OS Select maps!
Somebody out there must have got one, so what's it like?

Andrew

--
+----------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
| Andrew Conroy, Owl-Art Un-Ltd. | email: [email protected] |
| Coming to you on an Acorn RiscPC SA110 | Snail: 58 Newland Road, |
| | Worthing, |
| 'OwlArt' on IRC (ZFC A) | West Sussex. U.K. |
+----------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
The impossible I can do at once, miracles take a little longer!!

--
astrecks(at)yahooyourbrain(dot)com (remove your brain to reply)

Always look on the bright side of life (De do, de do, de doody doody do)

"Andrew Conroy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Andrew Conroy <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi folks,

> > I'm looking at getting an OS Select 1:25000 map ready for the North
> > Downs Challenge walk this year (saves the walk keep swapping between a
> > couple of maps). However, I wondered if the folded version was as
> > waterproof as a standard OS map?

> > I've seen a flat OS Select map bought
> > (from a map shop rather than direct from OS) and it was printed on a
> > large format inkjet printer, so the ink would smudge horribly if it got
> > a bit wet, not what you want out on the Downs in the pouring rain.

I can't imagine OS selling any map that was likely
to smudge in the wet.
A search on the website indicates the map are
printed using a high quality inkjet printer,
maybe high quality means the inks are water proof?

> > Anyone got any experience of these?

Sorry, I don't have any experience of these custom
maps, you could try emailing them, they're usually quite prompt with the