Oscar Pereiro positiv?

zlatan

Jun 11, 2006
Tour-Zweiter Oscar Pereiro positiv getestethttp://www.radsport-aktiv.de/counter/newscnt.php?id=41721

18.01.2007 - (Ra) - Ist Andreas Klöden der wahre Tour- Sieger? Nachdem Floyd Landis bei seinem Tour-Triumph positiv auf Testosteron getestet worden war, gibt es nun auch begründete Zweifel am zweitplatzierten Oscar Pereiro. Wie die französische Tageszeitung Le Monde meldet, wurde der 29-jährige Spanier während der Tour zwei Mal positiv getestet

from radsport and the link to le monde articel http://www.lemonde.fr/web/article/0,1-0@2-3242,36-857101@51-854647,0.html

VeloNews is confirming that: http://velonews.com/news/fea/11479.0.html

Spaniard Oscar Pereiro (Caisse d'Epargne), who finished second to Floyd Landis in the 2006 Tour de France, twice tested positive for the banned substance salbutamol during the race, French newspaper Le Monde alleged Thursday on its website.

Salbutamol, a substance often prescribed for asthmatics, was discovered in Pereiro's urine samples after the 14th and 16th stages, the newspaper alleged. Landis also tested positive, for a skewed testosterone-epitestosterone level, following Stage 17.

helmutRoole2 said:
VeloNews is confirming that: http://velonews.com/news/fea/11479.0.html

Spaniard Oscar Pereiro (Caisse d'Epargne), who finished second to Floyd Landis in the 2006 Tour de France, twice tested positive for the banned substance salbutamol during the race, French newspaper Le Monde alleged Thursday on its website.

Salbutamol, a substance often prescribed for asthmatics, was discovered in Pereiro's urine samples after the 14th and 16th stages, the newspaper alleged. Landis also tested positive, for a skewed testosterone-epitestosterone level, following Stage 17.

It's an asthma drug, he had a waiver for it, but now they're questioning whether the waiver was valid and necessary, claiming he has not provided verifying documentation.

DiabloScott said:
It's an asthma drug, he had a waiver for it, but now they're questioning whether the waiver was valid and necessary, claiming he has not provided verifying documentation.
That has taken some time to notice.... was someone not doing their homework? :confused:

Powerful Pete said:
That has taken some time to notice.... was someone not doing their homework? :confused:
TOUR de France organisers are waiting for the France Anti-Doping Agency (AFLD) to review Oscar Pereiro's case, after the Spain cyclist was reported to have failed drugs tests during last year's race.

France daily Le Monde's website reported overnight that Pereiro, who finished second behind American Floyd Landis, twice tested positive for the banned substance salbutamol, which is used for the treatment of asthma.

But Le Monde added that the Caisse d'Epargne rider had an exemption from the sport's governing body, the International Cycling Federation (UCI), to use the substance.

AFLD president Pierre Bordry told L'Equipe: "This rider tested positive twice. Once in Gap and another time in La Toussuire.

"Each time, he wrote on the test report that he had a TUE (Therapeutic Use Exemption). But I am asking him to provide us with the medical elements that justify him taking salbutamol."

Tour champion Landis tested positive for the male sex hormone testosterone during the race, and is likely to be stripped of his title and banned for two years if he fails to prove his innocence at an appeal hearing on February 8.

As runner-up to the American, Pereiro would expect to be awarded the victory if Landis is unsuccessful.

Mathieu Desplat, a spokesman for Tour organiser, the Amaury Sport Organisation, said: "We are waiting until January 25 when Pereiro's case will be reviewed by AFLD before taking any action".

Neither Pereiro, the Caisse d'Epargne team nor the UCI were immediately available to comment.

The director of Spain's government-run sports council, Rafael Blanco, said: "From our point of view this isn't a positive test and Spanish authorities have not received any communication about any positive.

"The whole thing seems to have occurred because of a conflict in responsibilities between two institutions (in France).

"If there had been any doubt about the authorisation to take such substances then they make the checks immediately, and if there had been the slightest suspicion about Pereiro they would already have made that clear."

Last year's Tour de France was marred by doping problems. A day before the start, nine riders were kicked out of the race over a blood doping scandal that had erupted in Spain in May.

Powerful Pete said:

All in keeping with the general incompetence of the French authorities. Took some time to come up, eh, whereas the Landis test came out quickly even though it came later in the TdF.

Sabutamol (Ventolin) is a very common asthma drug used in case of severely restricted breathing. Its not therapeutic, unlike something like Flovent, but used in case of a crisis or problem.

If Oscar really had a problem with asthma, this should not be an issue as its very commonly used. I developed asthma about ten years ago (environmental factors I believe after moving back to N.A. (it doesn't hit me in the Med) and was given Sabutamol. Anyone who's had it can attest that its like a hit of speed in that it gets the heart pumping. Its not something to be taken unless breathing is really restricted, and if taken more than 3-4 times per week, there's a serious asthma problem.

If Oscar needed it during the race, then his asthma should have been well known and quite chronic. I was off of it for years and just got back on for a month after exposure to a cat (I'm highly allergic). Other factors are excessive cold air, smog, allergic reactions, etc.

Either there's more to this story or its nothing. Still, quite a long time for Oscar to have failed to present a valid prescription, etc.

Hang him ...no questions asked or allowed, that is how we do it around here

Another six months and the 15th place will be the winner

Tim Lamkin said:
Hang him ...no questions asked or allowed, that is how we do it around here

And cheating is how they do it in the peloton. It all evens out.

Why has it taken them so long? Surely the postive test results should have come up within a few days of the test being taken, and then the medical exemptions will have been checked (as that was written on the dope control form). So why are they suddenly going about it now, months after it should have been sorted. Maybe they didn't want to do anything about it originally but now it has been leaked and so they have to be seen to be doing something?

If the french don´t agree with the TUE it will be a huge blow for UCI.
Could this be a political issue?
Are the french trying to damp ( even more ) the UCI reputation?
Can they go back to 1999 and ban TUEs that aren´t justified?:)

Now and for the sport it is better to clear all this TUEs that are dubious.

Do you remember Beloki? We went to france and the french didn´t gave him the exemption on a asthma product, so he leaved the french team.

Serafino said:
Its looking good for Kloden :D
Kloden has a cloud of doubt hanging over his head after he was kicked out by T-Mobile. Now were down to sastre. My tip evans can still win it :D .

GO CADEL! The way this is going the 07 tour will finish before the 06 tour!

Very, very strange...

It looks like hidden agenda if Landis' positive test is reported immediately while the Spaniard's not.

Maybe they didn't want that public knew about Landis' positive analysis but it was leaked...

Another bad day for cycling...

dm69 said:
Kloden has a cloud of doubt hanging over his head after he was kicked out by T-Mobile. Now were down to sastre. My tip evans can still win it :D .

GO CADEL! The way this is going the 07 tour will finish before the 06 tour!
I didn't think of it this way but '69's got something here.

The '06 tour is back on again! Imagine the tv ratings if they televised the test results.

Phil Ligget: "Can Klodi pull this one out? I don't know. His urine looked awfully yellow but that's not rule book. They're opening the envelope and... Oh, how shameful. High test levels and EPO. Someone didn't do their homework there. He's really blown this one. Now it's Sastre's turn and... What's this? Well, bad fortune for Sastre because he's drawn the slightly retarded french lab tech with four thumbs so it's looking good now for Evans..."

Periero should have been investigated when his blood was mixed up with Hamiltons a few years ago.
.............Dang, did I post that out-loud?

Oscar indicated that he'd fax the exemption documents right away, but why has this taken so long. It should have been cleared up back in July. We're not talking about complications like Landis' test and its supposed validity (whatever position you take).

This is an asthma drug for which either Oscar had a pre-existing diagnosed condition and medical exemption (in which case no problem) or not. The 6-7 month delay over such a simple issue stretches credulity.

I can get my doctor to give me an "exemption" notice or justify my sabutamol prescription in a day. Why this crazy delay, unless documents have been presented but their validity questioned.

Another sad day for cycling indeed.

Its the most amazing sport for asthmatics. They seem to be attracted to it like moths to a light. Are there as many in athletics or ball sports?

Didn't Salvoldelli pull out of last years Giro because of astha problems?