OSS - How close to your chest?

Chris Champion

Guest
I recently changed my Vision R40 SWB to OSS/ASS. The conundrum I am facing is adjusting the
handlebar distance from my chest. Since I bought an upgrade and have no 'Bent dealer nearby, I'm not
sure how to setup the OSS steering.

How close to your chest should the handlebars be? Sometimes I put the bars within 2" of my chest,
but sometimes I push the bars away. Is there a standard? The pictures of SWB OSS bikes I've seen in
catalogs show the bars in all kinds of places.

My goal is to get maximum aero, by the way...

Chris Champion Vision R40 SWB (recently) OSS

Maximum aero equals arms straight out . The so called Superman position.

Tom

[email protected] (Chris Champion) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I recently changed my Vision R40 SWB to OSS/ASS. The conundrum I am facing is adjusting the
> handlebar distance from my chest. Since I bought an upgrade and have no 'Bent dealer nearby, I'm
> not sure how to setup the OSS steering.
>
> How close to your chest should the handlebars be? Sometimes I put the bars within 2" of my chest,
> but sometimes I push the bars away. Is there a standard? The pictures of SWB OSS bikes I've seen
> in catalogs show the bars in all kinds of places.
>
> My goal is to get maximum aero, by the way...
>
> Chris Champion Vision R40 SWB (recently) OSS

I would concentrate more on what feels most comfortable to you. I know of no golden rule. I prefer
the bar closer to my body (but not 2") to allow my hands to drape on the bar but still maintaining
control. I would estimate the bar is about 10 - 12 inches from my chest. The position changes by
rider. To get maximum aero profile while keeping your hands and arms in a position you feel is
uncomfortable seems to be counterproductive. Isn't the purpose of riding bents comfort? The superman
position is uncomfortable to me. That is one reason I chose the Barcroft Virginia over the
Bacchettas. Different strokes for different folks. Mike S. St. Louis, Mo.

I have an R40 and made the same switch from USS to OSS. Typically, I have the bars about 6 inches
from my chest (praying rodent position). Most often, I ride with my hands in the middle of the bar
near the riser. This is very relaxed, seems more aero to me than the superman position, but the
superman position is the fashion du jour for SWB-OSS (see bacchetta, volae--hostelshoppe). Maybe
someone has done a roll down comparing both positions with respect to aerodynamics?

35 degrees, rain, to work and back today but probably no further.

Brad

Hi, Chris, you might find this link helpfull,

http://www.bikesmithdesign.com/EvoBars/EvoBarSetup.html

Lewis.

www.tinyurl/8vvh

[email protected] (Chris Champion) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I recently changed my Vision R40 SWB to OSS/ASS. The conundrum I am facing is adjusting the
> handlebar distance from my chest. Since I bought an upgrade and have no 'Bent dealer nearby, I'm
> not sure how to setup the OSS steering.
>
> How close to your chest should the handlebars be? Sometimes I put the bars within 2" of my chest,
> but sometimes I push the bars away. Is there a standard? The pictures of SWB OSS bikes I've seen
> in catalogs show the bars in all kinds of places.
>
> My goal is to get maximum aero, by the way...
>
> Chris Champion Vision R40 SWB (recently) OSS

I thought it was called the Pinto Position.

C.C.

> Subject: Re: OSS - How close to your chest?
>
> Maximum aero equals arms straight out . The so called Superman position.
>
> Tom

Chris, I go for comfort with the OSS back far enough that I can rest my elbows on the sides
of the seat.

Lon HepCat

I agree with Lon !

I dial in the handlebar fairly close to my chest so that my elbows rest in a comfortable position.
Tnis turns out to be along my sides and/or against the seatback. My hands rest in an easy grip or
relaxed hanging mode on the handlebar.

Larry Raphael Barcroft Dakota #02 Metallic Blue K7 Oakton, VA

LA <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Chris, I go for comfort with the OSS back far enough that I can rest my elbows on the sides of
> the seat.
>
> Lon HepCat

Postion the bars where they are most comfortable, and where handling is to your liking.

The position of the "Head Tube" will limit the extent of adjustment possible though due to changes in handling/steering.

I really love the Bacchetta's steering and handling. The head tube is farther forward, the riser is shorter, and the "tweaner" bars put your hands and arms in a very relaxed natural position just outside the knees.

It's all personal preference of course, but I greatly prefer this position to the other OSS bikes I've ridden. It makes me feel like I'm flying an FA/18 Hornet! :p

'Luck,
R2

p.s. Check out the Volae's steering setup (they put a standard "stem" at the top of the riser to bring the bars further forward).
http://www.volaerecumbents.com/

Originally posted by Chris Champion
I recently changed my Vision R40 SWB to OSS/ASS. The conundrum I am facing is adjusting the
handlebar distance from my chest. Since I bought an upgrade and have no 'Bent dealer nearby, I'm not
sure how to setup the OSS steering.

How close to your chest should the handlebars be? Sometimes I put the bars within 2" of my chest,
but sometimes I push the bars away. Is there a standard? The pictures of SWB OSS bikes I've seen in
catalogs show the bars in all kinds of places.

My goal is to get maximum aero, by the way...

Chris Champion Vision R40 SWB (recently) OSS

Thanks for all the feedback. I really love the Tweaner bars on the Bacchetta, but my wallet is not
so big that I can afford to buy a new bike just because I want to go OSS.... :)

I setup the bars today with them back just enough that my elbows were even with my torso. PERFECT. I
didn't fiddle around, didn't wish that my hands were further or closer... I got out the locktite and
set the adjustment screw to that point!

Now I have to decide whether to change the Double Vision to OSS too... maybe so, maybe not...

o o Chris Champion .\_-.\_-.o Vision R40 SWB OSS ( ) () Double Vision R85 USS

Personally, I prefer the "praying hampster" position most of the time. I switched to OSS mainly so
I'd have a convenient place to mount my GPS. But for longer rides (>100 miles) I re-install the USS
bars and stem (leaving the controls on the upper bar) to have another hand position. When I want to
go aero, I simply steer with my elbows, arms straight out "superman" style. So far my only complaint
about the OSS bars is that they're so dang heavy, with that cast iron stem.

Regarding adjustment... I've recently lost 35 pounds on Atkins, but haven't adjusted the handlebars.
It's cool to see how I have like 3-4 extra inches where my gut used to be :)

Bill Anton 2001 VR-40 OSS (and sometimes USS too)