Ostrich Burying It's Head In The Sand

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Representative, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. Does this reall happen, and if so how did such a bizarre
    instinct evolve?

    Tags:

  2. John Wilkins

    John Wilkins Guest

    Representative Trantis <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Does this reall happen, and if so how did such a bizarre
    > instinct evolve?

    No. It's a late Rennaissance myth, along with humans with
    faces in their tummies.
    --
    John Wilkins [email protected]
    http://www.wilkins.id.au "Men mark it when they hit, but do

  3. Representative Trantis wrote:
    > Does this reall happen, and if so how did such a bizarre
    > instinct evolve?

    This is a myth.

    "There are two theories about how this rumor got started.
    According to the World Wide Fund for Nature, the ostrich
    lowers its head toward the ground in reaction to danger,
    especially when it's sitting on a nest (the female keeps the
    eggs warm during the day and the male sits on the eggs at
    night.). "To escape detection, chicks as well as adults may
    lie on the ground with neck outstretched," the Encyclopedia
    Britannica adds. Supposedly the ostrich hopes its enemy will
    mistake it for a termite mound or low bush when its head is
    lowered. Seeing as an ostrich is the world's largest bird
    weighing as much as 400 pounds, I doubt they fool anyone but
    the blindest hyena. I'm one to talk, though. I almost walked
    into an elephant seal on a California beach once and those
    suckers are huge.

    "Male ostriches use their bills to dig shallow nests in the
    sand and move their eggs around. From a distance, this could
    look like the ostrich's head is disappearing in the sand.
    That's the other theory."

    http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mostrich.html

    --Jeff

    --
    A man, a plan, a cat, a canal - Panama!

    Ho, ho, ho, hee, hee, hee and a couple of ha, ha, has;
    That's how we pass the day away, in the merry old land of
    Oz.