OT: 19" monitor question for you geeks

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Slacker, Jan 30, 2003.

  1. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    Tags:

  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "D T W .../\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:%[email protected]...
    > > Thought I'd post this since so many of you are c-geeks.
    > >
    > > So you have $300-$400 to blow on a 19" (CRT) monitor.....what do you get? I leaning towards
    > > Viewsonic's
    > http://www.viewsonic.com/products/crt_g90fb.htm
    > > or http://www.viewsonic.com/products/crt_gs790.htm
    > >

    > > --
    > > Slacker
    >
    > Hey Slacker,
    >
    > Got a TM-1 coming from Excel on Tuesday. I'll let ya know the scoop ;-)
    >

    > DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    Cool...now you're the guine pig. Was going to order it tomorrow, but I'll wait for your tool report.
    --
    Slacker

  3. Sunastar

    Sunastar Guest

  4. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

  5. > > > Slacker

    > > Hey Slacker,
    > >
    > > Got a TM-1 coming from Excel on Tuesday. I'll let ya know the scoop
    ;-)

    > > DTW .../\.../\.../\...
    >
    > Cool...now you're the guine pig. Was going to order it tomorrow, but I'll
    wait for your tool report.
    > --
    > Slacker

    sure - TR due 2/6/03, please stay tuned, film at 11

    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

  6. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > "Sunastar" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Slacker,
    > >
    > > Check out CNet's reviews http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-1041.html?tag=dir
    > >
    > > Who knows, you may even decide to go LCD...
    > >
    > > T o m Dillon Lakewood, CO
    >
    > Decisions...decisions...
    >
    > 19" lcd flat panel = great big crystal clear internet porn
    >
    > Marzocchi Shiver = great big shiny silver downhill glory
    >
    > Same price.
    >
    > Your call Slack.
    >
    > Mike

    This is exactly why I've already ruled out a 21" CRT or a LCD. Besides, the picture quality on the
    LCD's still aren't up to spec
    IMO.

    I wouldn't even be looking for one, but mine blew up a couple weeks ago.

    --
    Slacker - give me that silver Shiver!!!!

  7. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Do what Mr. Dart says...get a good-enough monitor, and some bike parts. Right now the evil bastards
    at Best Buy have some 17" Samtronic (a Samsung product) on sale for $99, and they look fine.

    They look even better when they leave you with an extra $300.

    Chris

    news:%[email protected]...
    > Thought I'd post this since so many of you are c-geeks.
    >
    > So you have $300-$400 to blow on a 19" (CRT) monitor.....what do you get? I leaning towards
    > Viewsonic's
    http://www.viewsonic.com/products/crt_g90fb.htm
    > or http://www.viewsonic.com/products/crt_gs790.htm
    >

    > --
    > Slacker

  8. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    just for you geeks... my son started cleaining out the cupboard where we've been throwing all old
    and upgraded computer parts since '95. Oy, what a scary mess. His job is to figure out what all we
    have. So far the non-complete list is something like: 3 Cases : 2 tall, 1 medium 1 USB card 1 NIC 3
    Keyboards 1 FM radio card 2 CD ROM drives one is a 4 CD changer 1 1.0 GB hard drive 1 852 MB Hard
    Drive 1 Monitor 1 14.4 modem 1 Hard Drive Fan 3 Video Cards of various vintages 2 Sound Card " " "
    '''' " 3 3.5 Floppy drives 4 RAM sticks (mystery) I stick mystery RAM 1 set cheap speakers 2 Intel
    Pentium 200Mhz w/ motherboard 1 A/B Switch box 1 Intel Pentium 300Mhz w/ motherboard 8 IDE cables 4
    mice - those are going straight into the trash....

    and we're not even done yet. Maybe I'll have him build a server. Maybe we'll build something for
    some needy person somewhere. Maybe I'll have a garage sale.... Soon to be added, a 500 Mhz board
    with zero ram....

    I think this stuff has been breeding while no one is looking. And I think most of it works to some
    degree....

    penny

  9. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    news:%[email protected]...
    > Thought I'd post this since so many of you are c-geeks.
    >
    > So you have $300-$400 to blow on a 19" (CRT) monitor.....what do you get? I leaning towards
    > Viewsonic's
    http://www.viewsonic.com/products/crt_g90fb.htm
    > or http://www.viewsonic.com/products/crt_gs790.htm

    I bought a new monitor not too long ago. I looked at online reviews, like cnet's (and maybe others,
    try google to locate others if you want). I ended up getting a NEC/Mitsubishi 21" Diamondtron. It's
    got a nice flat tube and the 21" was about $400. I wanted big more than thin and didn't have the
    budget for both. I've had it for maybe a year and it's really nice. No problems, no complaints. I
    remember looking at VS's and reviews were mixed. Some said there were defects causing dark areas and
    blurry patches in some models.

    Matt

  10. Slacker wrote:
    > Thought I'd post this since so many of you are c-geeks.
    >
    > So you have $300-$400 to blow on a 19" (CRT) monitor.....what do you get? I leaning towards
    > Viewsonic's http://www.viewsonic.com/products/crt_g90fb.htm or
    > http://www.viewsonic.com/products/crt_gs790.htm
    >

    > --
    > Slacker

    Get refurbed monitors off of ebay, dude. you can get Sony Trinitron 19"ers at steal prices, and many
    are waranteed for 60 days or so (which is enough that any major problem would probably show up by
    then on a used monitor)

    Jon "," Bond

  11. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote

    > I think this stuff has been breeding while no one is looking. And I think most of it works to some
    > degree....

    Yes, that stuff does breed. New stuff just keeps 'appearing' somehow. 2 yrs ago, I had a mass
    toss-out. Old XT motherboards (and I KNOW I only had one), MontgomeryWards 386/16, all manner of
    peripherals. I probably could have built a couple functioning machines...but with www.walmart.com
    selling an 800mhz for $199, what's the point?

    Pete

  12. Pete

    Pete Guest

    news:%[email protected]...
    > Thought I'd post this since so many of you are c-geeks.
    >
    > So you have $300-$400 to blow on a 19" (CRT) monitor.....what do you get? I leaning towards
    > Viewsonic's
    http://www.viewsonic.com/products/crt_g90fb.htm
    > or http://www.viewsonic.com/products/crt_gs790.htm
    >

    > --
    > Slacker

    www.ubid.com I got a reconditioned Phillips 17" about 18 months ago. $90 incl shipping. But the
    shipping was more than the bid price. That's what kills with buying monitors online.

    I see 19's there now for about the same. Or an 18.1 LCD currently going for $420.

    Pete

  13. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Pete wrote:
    > "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote
    >>
    >> I think this stuff has been breeding while no one is looking. And I think most of it works to
    >> some degree....
    >>

    > Yes, that stuff does breed. New stuff just keeps 'appearing' somehow. 2 yrs ago, I had a mass
    > toss-out. Old XT motherboards (and I KNOW I only had one), MontgomeryWards 386/16, all manner of
    > peripherals. I probably could have built a couple functioning machines...but with www.walmart.com
    > selling an 800mhz for $199, what's the point?

    You get three computers for free, and none of them with AOHell. ;-)

    I think I'll yard sale most of it.

    Penny

  14. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Slacker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]sc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > "Sunastar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Slacker,
    > > >
    > > > Check out CNet's reviews http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-1041.html?tag=dir
    > > >
    > > > Who knows, you may even decide to go LCD...
    > > >
    > > > T o m Dillon Lakewood, CO
    > >
    > > Decisions...decisions...
    > >
    > > 19" lcd flat panel = great big crystal clear internet porn
    > >
    > > Marzocchi Shiver = great big shiny silver downhill glory
    > >
    > > Same price.
    > >
    > > Your call Slack.
    > >
    > > Mike
    >

    > This is exactly why I've already ruled out a 21" CRT or a LCD. Besides,
    the picture quality on the LCD's still aren't up to spec
    > IMO.
    >
    > I wouldn't even be looking for one, but mine blew up a couple weeks ago.

    Your TV exploded? You musta left the safety catch off.........

    Shaun aRe - Damned Yankees and their guns...

  15. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Penny S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > just for you geeks... my son started cleaining out the cupboard where
    we've
    > been throwing all old and upgraded computer parts since '95. Oy, what a scary mess. His job is to
    > figure out what all we have. So far the non-complete list is something like: 3 Cases : 2 tall, 1
    > medium 1 USB card 1 NIC 3 Keyboards 1 FM radio card 2 CD ROM drives one is a 4 CD changer 1 1.0 GB
    > hard drive 1 852 MB Hard Drive 1 Monitor 1 14.4 modem 1 Hard Drive Fan 3 Video Cards of various
    > vintages 2 Sound Card " " " '''' " 3 3.5 Floppy drives 4 RAM sticks (mystery) I stick mystery RAM
    > 1 set cheap speakers 2 Intel Pentium 200Mhz w/ motherboard 1 A/B Switch box 1 Intel Pentium 300Mhz
    > w/ motherboard 8 IDE cables 4 mice - those are going straight into the trash....
    >
    > and we're not even done yet. Maybe I'll have him build a server. Maybe we'll build something for
    > some needy person somewhere. Maybe I'll have a garage sale.... Soon to be added, a 500 Mhz board
    > with zero ram....
    >
    > I think this stuff has been breeding while no one is looking. And I think most of it works to some
    > degree....
    >
    > penny

    I'll E-mail you my address.......

    Shaun aRe

  16. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > Slacker <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > I wouldn't even be looking for one, but mine blew up a couple weeks ago.
    >
    > Your TV exploded? You musta left the safety catch off.........
    >
    > Shaun aRe - Damned Yankees and their guns...

    No it was "the penguin on the tellie" that exploded.

    Mike - damned Brits and their humor...

  17. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > Slacker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >

    > > > I wouldn't even be looking for one, but mine blew up a couple weeks
    ago.

    > > Your TV exploded? You musta left the safety catch off.........
    > >
    > > Shaun aRe - Damned Yankees and their guns...
    > >

    > No it was "the penguin on the tellie" that exploded.
    >
    > Mike - damned Brits and their humor...

    That, Nr. Dart, was no penguin............

    Shaun aRe - exercise caution at all times, lest it get out of shape........

  18. MattB says:

    >I wanted big more than thin and didn't have the budget for both.

    Same here. THat's why i finished up with a 19" 1600x1200. Once you get that many pixels, nothing
    less will do, and we were using 21"-ers at work. Still got a couple left if anyone wants to buy in
    the New England area. ;-)

    Steve