OT 25 years ago today....

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by kalanamak, Dec 8, 2005.

  1. kalanamak

    kalanamak Guest

    I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
    college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
    WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why
    and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".

    So, I spent today asking people at work (there are 2000 of us) where
    they were when they heard the news and it fell into three catagories: in
    the country of their birth (Denmark, India, Korea, etc), in their
    parents living room because they were just 6, or "partying" in a
    trailer, an apartment or a run down place in the woods. The third
    catagory was the winner. So, this is who works for the State: young
    people, furriners, and the possibly now clean and sober.

    Obfood: at a potluck at lunch someone brought in "Robert Redford", a
    pudding in a pie crust, laced with walnuts, chocolate sauce and whipped
    cream. I told the man next to me "if this is Robert Redford, I prefer
    Paul Newman".
    blacksalt
    Imagine there's no Velveeta

    Tags:

  2. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    kalanamak wrote:
    > I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
    > college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
    > WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why
    > and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".
    >
    > So, I spent today asking people at work (there are 2000 of us) where
    > they were when they heard the news and it fell into three catagories: in
    > the country of their birth (Denmark, India, Korea, etc), in their
    > parents living room because they were just 6, or "partying" in a
    > trailer, an apartment or a run down place in the woods. The third
    > catagory was the winner. So, this is who works for the State: young
    > people, furriners, and the possibly now clean and sober.
    >
    > Obfood: at a potluck at lunch someone brought in "Robert Redford", a
    > pudding in a pie crust, laced with walnuts, chocolate sauce and whipped
    > cream. I told the man next to me "if this is Robert Redford, I prefer
    > Paul Newman".
    > blacksalt
    > Imagine there's no Velveeta

    KCRW world news had some neverending feature about him today. It's sad he got
    shot and all, but I think I'm too young or too much of a...I don't know,
    something bad, to care.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com

  3. Roberta

    Roberta Guest

    kalanamak wrote:

    I remember - and maybe you didn't care but so do you :)

    I was 9....I loved the Beatles, have for as long as I can remember. I
    cried, hard... all night. I think I was too young to really know or
    understand about who they really were and the break up - but I loved
    them and losing him meant there was a real end to that. I had a very
    close friend in high school that felt the same....she and I spent many
    years wearing black on this date. I don't do that anymore - but I still
    feel like there was a loss,

    Roberta (in VA)

    > I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
    > college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
    > WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why
    > and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".
    >
    > So, I spent today asking people at work (there are 2000 of us) where
    > they were when they heard the news and it fell into three catagories: in
    > the country of their birth (Denmark, India, Korea, etc), in their
    > parents living room because they were just 6, or "partying" in a
    > trailer, an apartment or a run down place in the woods. The third
    > catagory was the winner. So, this is who works for the State: young
    > people, furriners, and the possibly now clean and sober.
    >
    > Obfood: at a potluck at lunch someone brought in "Robert Redford", a
    > pudding in a pie crust, laced with walnuts, chocolate sauce and whipped
    > cream. I told the man next to me "if this is Robert Redford, I prefer
    > Paul Newman".
    > blacksalt
    > Imagine there's no Velveeta

  4. On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 15:00:39 -0800, kalanamak <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
    >college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
    >WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why
    >and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".

    I can't remember where I was when Lennon was killed. But I CAN
    remember where I was when JFK was shot, and also when his brother was
    shot too.

    Christine

  5. CJ Jones

    CJ Jones Guest

    kalanamak wrote:
    > I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
    > college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
    > WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why
    > and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".

    that's sad. I was a high school senior, and writing for a local paper.
    The article I wrote about his murder ended up getting picked up in a
    bunch of papers, and even ended up on Yoko's desk. (The school got a
    note thanking the author.)

    As a kid, bob dylan and john lennon were the only lyric writers who
    seemed to get me. while my pals were listening to disco and
    rollerskating, I was reading woody guthrie's autobiography, and learning
    about the influences of my heroes. considering how I was raised, they
    served as a big escape for me. it's sad that there aren't artists who
    can impress more to life these days.

    the last line of the poem that ended the article:
    is this the way it's all going to end, with spies in the white house and
    john lennon dead?

    pretty much rings true today.

    CJ

  6. On Thu 08 Dec 2005 04:00:39p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it kalanamak?

    > I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
    > college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
    > WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why
    > and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".

    I lived alone at the time, and was in my kitchen cleaning up after eating
    when the broadcast was interrupted with the announcement. I was 35 that year
    and the Beatles had been very important to me during my college years when
    they first started. I was stunned. I cried. I called a friend.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  7. Roberta wrote:

    > kalanamak wrote:
    >
    > I remember - and maybe you didn't care but so do you :)
    >
    > I was 9....I loved the Beatles, have for as long as I can remember. I
    > cried, hard... all night. I think I was too young to really know or
    > understand about who they really were and the break up - but I loved
    > them and losing him meant there was a real end to that. I had a very
    > close friend in high school that felt the same....she and I spent many
    > years wearing black on this date. I don't do that anymore - but I still
    > feel like there was a loss,

    Yaaaaaaaawn...

    If I spent all my time crying over dead celebrities I wouldn't even
    have time to get out of bed...but they're total strangers so it doesn't
    affect me in the *least*.

    --
    Best
    Greg

  8. On Thu 08 Dec 2005 07:36:30p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Gregory
    Morrow?

    > Roberta wrote:
    >
    >> kalanamak wrote:
    >>
    >> I remember - and maybe you didn't care but so do you :)
    >>
    >> I was 9....I loved the Beatles, have for as long as I can remember. I
    >> cried, hard... all night. I think I was too young to really know or
    >> understand about who they really were and the break up - but I loved
    >> them and losing him meant there was a real end to that. I had a very
    >> close friend in high school that felt the same....she and I spent many
    >> years wearing black on this date. I don't do that anymore - but I still
    >> feel like there was a loss,

    > Yaaaaaaaawn...
    >
    > If I spent all my time crying over dead celebrities I wouldn't even
    > have time to get out of bed...but they're total strangers so it doesn't
    > affect me in the *least*.

    Of all the celebrities who have died during my lifetime, I have cried over
    perhaps three. Strangers or not, some celebrities strike a chord with some
    people.

    With the Beatles, I had a momentary connection because I got to meet them
    on their very first US tour. The daughter of one of the promnoters was a
    close friend of mine.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  9. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "kalanamak" <[email protected]> wrote

    >I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all college
    >students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU WILL ALWAYS
    >REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why and she
    >shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".

    I don't have a specific memory of learning about his death, I do
    remember going into work the next morning, my boss was grousing,
    that's just great, now we're going to hear all the time how great he
    was and how great his music was and I never liked him. (laugh)
    Okay, Bob.

    nancy

  10. ravinwulf

    ravinwulf Guest

    wrote:

    >I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
    >college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
    >WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why
    >and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".
    >
    >So, I spent today asking people at work (there are 2000 of us) where
    >they were when they heard the news and it fell into three catagories: in
    >the country of their birth (Denmark, India, Korea, etc), in their
    >parents living room because they were just 6, or "partying" in a
    >trailer, an apartment or a run down place in the woods. The third
    >catagory was the winner. So, this is who works for the State: young
    >people, furriners, and the possibly now clean and sober.
    >
    >Obfood: at a potluck at lunch someone brought in "Robert Redford", a
    >pudding in a pie crust, laced with walnuts, chocolate sauce and whipped
    >cream. I told the man next to me "if this is Robert Redford, I prefer
    >Paul Newman".
    >blacksalt
    >Imagine there's no Velveeta

    I remember exactly where I was. I was sitting in my bed in the first
    house I'd ever rented working on a term paper and listening to the
    radio.

    Tracy R.

  11. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Christine Dabney wrote:

    > I can't remember where I was when Lennon was killed. But I CAN
    > remember where I was when JFK was shot, and also when his brother was
    > shot too.
    >
    > Christine

    I remember JFK/RFK's deaths vividly. Although I adored the Beatles,
    Lennon's death wasn't as traumatic for me because after the group broke
    up and he hooked up with Yoko he seemed really weird to me, not the same
    person at all.

    gloria p

  12. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    kalanamak wrote:
    > I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
    > college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
    > WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why
    > and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".

    Oddly enough, I have vivid memories of where I was and what I was doing
    when I heard that Elvis had died.. but barely any memory of caring about
    John Lennon at the time? I did recently take a carriage ride around
    parts of Central Park and the Dakota building was pointed out to me. I
    had to explain to my son who JL was and what happened to him.
    Goomba

  13. Goomba38 wrote:
    > kalanamak wrote:
    >
    >> I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
    >> college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
    >> WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked
    >> why and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".

    > Oddly enough, I have vivid memories of where I was and what I was doing
    > when I heard that Elvis had died.. but barely any memory of caring about
    > John Lennon at the time? I did recently take a carriage ride around
    > parts of Central Park and the Dakota building was pointed out to me. I
    > had to explain to my son who JL was and what happened to him.
    > Goomba

    I was only a year old. SO I have absolutely no recollection. My dad says
    he cried, though. Of course, he made a million jokes when Kurt Cobain
    killed himself. (Not that Kurt was half the songwriter/musician that
    Lennon was, but it still pissed me off.)

    --

    saerah

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  14. On Thu 08 Dec 2005 08:30:36p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sarah
    bennett?

    > Goomba38 wrote:
    >> kalanamak wrote:
    >>
    >>> I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
    >>> college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
    >>> WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked
    >>> why and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".

    >> Oddly enough, I have vivid memories of where I was and what I was doing
    >> when I heard that Elvis had died.. but barely any memory of caring about
    >> John Lennon at the time? I did recently take a carriage ride around
    >> parts of Central Park and the Dakota building was pointed out to me. I
    >> had to explain to my son who JL was and what happened to him.
    >> Goomba

    > I was only a year old. SO I have absolutely no recollection. My dad says
    > he cried, though. Of course, he made a million jokes when Kurt Cobain
    > killed himself. (Not that Kurt was half the songwriter/musician that
    > Lennon was, but it still pissed me off.)

    I couldn't have cared less when Kurt Cobain killed himself. Regardless of
    the cause or reason, he was in control of his own destiny. John Lennon was
    *murdered*.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  15. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "kalanamak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all college
    >students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU WILL ALWAYS
    >REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why and she
    >shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".

    I don't remember where I was, although I can tell you with certainty, it was
    cold outside. (Minnesota, December...not hard to figure! lol)
    I do, however, remember the exact moment I found out Elvis had died. I was
    jumping rope with my sister on the sidewalk beside our house when the
    neighbor boy from across the street came to tell us. We accused him of being
    a jealous, mean, vicious liar. Turns out he wasn't lying.
    I was devastated.

    kimberly

  16. sf

    sf Guest

    WHAT???
    What BF?
    What have you neglected to tell us?

    sf
    <hoping I read this the wrong way>
    `````````````````````````

    wrote:

    >I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
    >college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
    >WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why
    >and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".

    <snip>

    >Obfood: at a potluck at lunch someone brought in "Robert Redford", a
    >pudding in a pie crust, laced with walnuts, chocolate sauce and whipped
    >cream. I told the man next to me "if this is Robert Redford, I prefer
    >Paul Newman".

    >blacksalt
    >Imagine there's no Velveeta

  17. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    Goomba38 wrote:

    > Oddly enough, I have vivid memories of where I was and what I was doing
    > when I heard that Elvis had died..

    You mean Elvis is REALLY dead? ;)

    --
    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz) - still reeling from the shock

  18. Andy

    Andy Guest

    cathyxyz wrote:

    > Goomba38 wrote:
    >
    >> Oddly enough, I have vivid memories of where I was and what I was

    doing
    >> when I heard that Elvis had died..

    > You mean Elvis is REALLY dead? ;)
    >
    > but barely any memory of caring about
    >> John Lennon at the time? I did recently take a carriage ride around
    >> parts of Central Park and the Dakota building was pointed out to me. I
    >> had to explain to my son who JL was and what happened to him.
    >> Goomba

    If it weren't for John Lennon, I'd never have picked up the guitar. Sadly
    I had to skip the vocals. :(

    --
    Andy
    http://tinyurl.com/dzl7h

  19. Bob Myers

    Bob Myers Guest

    "cathyxyz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Goomba38 wrote:
    >
    > > Oddly enough, I have vivid memories of where I was and what I was doing
    > > when I heard that Elvis had died..

    > You mean Elvis is REALLY dead? ;)

    (In my best Tommy Lee Jones):

    No, Elvis isn't dead! He just went home!

    Bob M.

  20. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    Bob Myers wrote:
    > "cathyxyz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Goomba38 wrote:
    >>

    >>>Oddly enough, I have vivid memories of where I was and what I was doing
    >>>when I heard that Elvis had died..

    >>You mean Elvis is REALLY dead? ;)

    > (In my best Tommy Lee Jones):
    >
    > No, Elvis isn't dead! He just went home!
    >
    > Bob M.

    But, but, but.... wasn't that ET?

    --
    Cheers