OT 25 years ago today....

kalanamak

Guest
I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why
and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".

So, I spent today asking people at work (there are 2000 of us) where
they were when they heard the news and it fell into three catagories: in
the country of their birth (Denmark, India, Korea, etc), in their
parents living room because they were just 6, or "partying" in a
trailer, an apartment or a run down place in the woods. The third
catagory was the winner. So, this is who works for the State: young
people, furriners, and the possibly now clean and sober.

Obfood: at a potluck at lunch someone brought in "Robert Redford", a
pudding in a pie crust, laced with walnuts, chocolate sauce and whipped
cream. I told the man next to me "if this is Robert Redford, I prefer
Paul Newman".
blacksalt
Imagine there's no Velveeta

kalanamak wrote:
> I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
> college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
> WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why
> and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".
>
> So, I spent today asking people at work (there are 2000 of us) where
> they were when they heard the news and it fell into three catagories: in
> the country of their birth (Denmark, India, Korea, etc), in their
> parents living room because they were just 6, or "partying" in a
> trailer, an apartment or a run down place in the woods. The third
> catagory was the winner. So, this is who works for the State: young
> people, furriners, and the possibly now clean and sober.
>
> Obfood: at a potluck at lunch someone brought in "Robert Redford", a
> pudding in a pie crust, laced with walnuts, chocolate sauce and whipped
> cream. I told the man next to me "if this is Robert Redford, I prefer
> Paul Newman".
> blacksalt
> Imagine there's no Velveeta

KCRW world news had some neverending feature about him today. It's sad he got
shot and all, but I think I'm too young or too much of a...I don't know,
something bad, to care.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

kalanamak wrote:

I remember - and maybe you didn't care but so do you :)

I was 9....I loved the Beatles, have for as long as I can remember. I
cried, hard... all night. I think I was too young to really know or
understand about who they really were and the break up - but I loved
them and losing him meant there was a real end to that. I had a very
close friend in high school that felt the same....she and I spent many
years wearing black on this date. I don't do that anymore - but I still
feel like there was a loss,

Roberta (in VA)

> I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
> college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
> WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why
> and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".
>
> So, I spent today asking people at work (there are 2000 of us) where
> they were when they heard the news and it fell into three catagories: in
> the country of their birth (Denmark, India, Korea, etc), in their
> parents living room because they were just 6, or "partying" in a
> trailer, an apartment or a run down place in the woods. The third
> catagory was the winner. So, this is who works for the State: young
> people, furriners, and the possibly now clean and sober.
>
> Obfood: at a potluck at lunch someone brought in "Robert Redford", a
> pudding in a pie crust, laced with walnuts, chocolate sauce and whipped
> cream. I told the man next to me "if this is Robert Redford, I prefer
> Paul Newman".
> blacksalt
> Imagine there's no Velveeta

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 15:00:39 -0800, kalanamak <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
>college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
>WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why
>and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".

I can't remember where I was when Lennon was killed. But I CAN
remember where I was when JFK was shot, and also when his brother was
shot too.

Christine

kalanamak wrote:
> I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
> college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
> WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why
> and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".

that's sad. I was a high school senior, and writing for a local paper.
The article I wrote about his murder ended up getting picked up in a
bunch of papers, and even ended up on Yoko's desk. (The school got a
note thanking the author.)

As a kid, bob dylan and john lennon were the only lyric writers who
seemed to get me. while my pals were listening to disco and
rollerskating, I was reading woody guthrie's autobiography, and learning
about the influences of my heroes. considering how I was raised, they
served as a big escape for me. it's sad that there aren't artists who
can impress more to life these days.

the last line of the poem that ended the article:
is this the way it's all going to end, with spies in the white house and
john lennon dead?

pretty much rings true today.

CJ

On Thu 08 Dec 2005 04:00:39p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it kalanamak?

> I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
> college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
> WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why
> and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".

I lived alone at the time, and was in my kitchen cleaning up after eating
when the broadcast was interrupted with the announcement. I was 35 that year
and the Beatles had been very important to me during my college years when
they first started. I was stunned. I cried. I called a friend.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Roberta wrote:

> kalanamak wrote:
>
> I remember - and maybe you didn't care but so do you :)
>
> I was 9....I loved the Beatles, have for as long as I can remember. I
> cried, hard... all night. I think I was too young to really know or
> understand about who they really were and the break up - but I loved
> them and losing him meant there was a real end to that. I had a very
> close friend in high school that felt the same....she and I spent many
> years wearing black on this date. I don't do that anymore - but I still
> feel like there was a loss,

Yaaaaaaaawn...

If I spent all my time crying over dead celebrities I wouldn't even
have time to get out of bed...but they're total strangers so it doesn't
affect me in the *least*.

--
Best
Greg

On Thu 08 Dec 2005 07:36:30p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Gregory
Morrow?

> Roberta wrote:
>
>> kalanamak wrote:
>>
>> I remember - and maybe you didn't care but so do you :)
>>
>> I was 9....I loved the Beatles, have for as long as I can remember. I
>> cried, hard... all night. I think I was too young to really know or
>> understand about who they really were and the break up - but I loved
>> them and losing him meant there was a real end to that. I had a very
>> close friend in high school that felt the same....she and I spent many
>> years wearing black on this date. I don't do that anymore - but I still
>> feel like there was a loss,

> Yaaaaaaaawn...
>
> If I spent all my time crying over dead celebrities I wouldn't even
> have time to get out of bed...but they're total strangers so it doesn't
> affect me in the *least*.

Of all the celebrities who have died during my lifetime, I have cried over
perhaps three. Strangers or not, some celebrities strike a chord with some
people.

With the Beatles, I had a momentary connection because I got to meet them
on their very first US tour. The daughter of one of the promnoters was a
close friend of mine.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

"kalanamak" <[email protected]> wrote

>I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all college
>students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU WILL ALWAYS
>REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why and she
>shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".

I don't have a specific memory of learning about his death, I do
remember going into work the next morning, my boss was grousing,
that's just great, now we're going to hear all the time how great he
was and how great his music was and I never liked him. (laugh)
Okay, Bob.

nancy

wrote:

>I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
>college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
>WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why
>and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".
>
>So, I spent today asking people at work (there are 2000 of us) where
>they were when they heard the news and it fell into three catagories: in
>the country of their birth (Denmark, India, Korea, etc), in their
>parents living room because they were just 6, or "partying" in a
>trailer, an apartment or a run down place in the woods. The third
>catagory was the winner. So, this is who works for the State: young
>people, furriners, and the possibly now clean and sober.
>
>Obfood: at a potluck at lunch someone brought in "Robert Redford", a
>pudding in a pie crust, laced with walnuts, chocolate sauce and whipped
>cream. I told the man next to me "if this is Robert Redford, I prefer
>Paul Newman".
>blacksalt
>Imagine there's no Velveeta

I remember exactly where I was. I was sitting in my bed in the first
house I'd ever rented working on a term paper and listening to the
radio.

Tracy R.

Christine Dabney wrote:

> I can't remember where I was when Lennon was killed. But I CAN
> remember where I was when JFK was shot, and also when his brother was
> shot too.
>
> Christine

I remember JFK/RFK's deaths vividly. Although I adored the Beatles,
Lennon's death wasn't as traumatic for me because after the group broke
up and he hooked up with Yoko he seemed really weird to me, not the same
person at all.

gloria p

kalanamak wrote:
> I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
> college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
> WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why
> and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".

Oddly enough, I have vivid memories of where I was and what I was doing
when I heard that Elvis had died.. but barely any memory of caring about
John Lennon at the time? I did recently take a carriage ride around
parts of Central Park and the Dakota building was pointed out to me. I
had to explain to my son who JL was and what happened to him.
Goomba

Goomba38 wrote:
> kalanamak wrote:
>
>> I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
>> college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
>> WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked
>> why and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".

> Oddly enough, I have vivid memories of where I was and what I was doing
> when I heard that Elvis had died.. but barely any memory of caring about
> John Lennon at the time? I did recently take a carriage ride around
> parts of Central Park and the Dakota building was pointed out to me. I
> had to explain to my son who JL was and what happened to him.
> Goomba

I was only a year old. SO I have absolutely no recollection. My dad says
he cried, though. Of course, he made a million jokes when Kurt Cobain
killed himself. (Not that Kurt was half the songwriter/musician that
Lennon was, but it still ****** me off.)

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

On Thu 08 Dec 2005 08:30:36p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sarah
bennett?

> Goomba38 wrote:
>> kalanamak wrote:
>>
>>> I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
>>> college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
>>> WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked
>>> why and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".

>> Oddly enough, I have vivid memories of where I was and what I was doing
>> when I heard that Elvis had died.. but barely any memory of caring about
>> John Lennon at the time? I did recently take a carriage ride around
>> parts of Central Park and the Dakota building was pointed out to me. I
>> had to explain to my son who JL was and what happened to him.
>> Goomba

> I was only a year old. SO I have absolutely no recollection. My dad says
> he cried, though. Of course, he made a million jokes when Kurt Cobain
> killed himself. (Not that Kurt was half the songwriter/musician that
> Lennon was, but it still ****** me off.)

I couldn't have cared less when Kurt Cobain killed himself. Regardless of
the cause or reason, he was in control of his own destiny. John Lennon was
*murdered*.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

"kalanamak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all college
>students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU WILL ALWAYS
>REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why and she
>shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".

I don't remember where I was, although I can tell you with certainty, it was
cold outside. (Minnesota, December...not hard to figure! lol)
I do, however, remember the exact moment I found out Elvis had died. I was
jumping rope with my sister on the sidewalk beside our house when the
neighbor boy from across the street came to tell us. We accused him of being
a jealous, mean, vicious liar. Turns out he wasn't lying.
I was devastated.

kimberly

WHAT???
What BF?
What have you neglected to tell us?

sf
<hoping I read this the wrong way>
`````````````````````````

wrote:

>I was cooking dinner at my BF's house when his roomate (we were all
>college students) came running in terrifically excited and shouted YOU
>WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHERE YOU WERE STANDING AT THIS MOMENT. I asked why
>and she shouted JOHN LENNON IS DEAD. My thoughts were "so what".

<snip>

Goomba38 wrote:

> Oddly enough, I have vivid memories of where I was and what I was doing
> when I heard that Elvis had died..

You mean Elvis is REALLY dead? ;)

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz) - still reeling from the shock

cathyxyz wrote:

> Goomba38 wrote:
>
>> Oddly enough, I have vivid memories of where I was and what I was

doing
>> when I heard that Elvis had died..

> You mean Elvis is REALLY dead? ;)
>
> but barely any memory of caring about
>> John Lennon at the time? I did recently take a carriage ride around
>> parts of Central Park and the Dakota building was pointed out to me. I
>> had to explain to my son who JL was and what happened to him.
>> Goomba

If it weren't for John Lennon, I'd never have picked up the guitar. Sadly
I had to skip the vocals. :(

--
Andy
http://tinyurl.com/dzl7h

"cathyxyz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Goomba38 wrote:
>
> > Oddly enough, I have vivid memories of where I was and what I was doing
> > when I heard that Elvis had died..

> You mean Elvis is REALLY dead? ;)

(In my best Tommy Lee Jones):

No, Elvis isn't dead! He just went home!

Bob M.

Bob Myers wrote:
> "cathyxyz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Goomba38 wrote:
>>

>>>Oddly enough, I have vivid memories of where I was and what I was doing
>>>when I heard that Elvis had died..

>>You mean Elvis is REALLY dead? ;)

> (In my best Tommy Lee Jones):
>
> No, Elvis isn't dead! He just went home!
>
> Bob M.

But, but, but.... wasn't that ET?

--
Cheers