OT: 3 peaks in Arctic Norway

Alan Law

Guest
I hope I may be allowed the indulgence of making this report. It is
off-topic, both because it refers to mountains outside UK, and because the
demands of the mountains in question go beyond the customary interpretation
of hill-walking.

I recently had the good fortune to complete my "3 peaks" in the north of
Norway, being the three dominant peaks in mainland Norway north of the
Arctic Circle. [There is also an offshore peak called Beerenberg (2,277 m)
in Jan Mayen Island that seems to be the highest Norwegian mountain in the
arctic---it is seldom visited. The mountains in Svalbard rise to only 1,717
m.]

In the order of ascent they were:

1) Storsteinsfjellet (1,893 m)-Narvik area. Climbed on a magnificent
winter's day in March 2001. Skis off 250 m below the summit, and a
moderately steep snow climb to reach the final ridge. Minus 20 degrees
Celsius at the top. This is the most alpine, but least well known, of the
three mountains. A superb winter mountain.

2) Suliskongen (1,907 m)---Sulitjelma area. Climbed in August 2003 with no
views above 1,600 m on account of hill fog. There are a lot of glaciers on
this mountain, but I found a summer route that only involved a few hundred
metres on a glacier, which was dry and without crevasses. This hill is
normally climbed on ski in the late spring.

3) Jiehkkevarri (1,834 m)---Lyngen Alps. Climbed on a nice warm day in July
2004 with a congenial group of Norwegians. This mountain lies in a very
alpine area, but it is relatively flat-topped, and has many of the features
of a small ice-cap. Because of crevasses a rope is essential---even, I was
told, for ski ascents earlier in the season. Although accessible, it
involves a start at sea-level and, allowing for significant re-ascent, it is
a long day.

The peaks indicated are the highest in the respective areas, but there are
many other fine mountains in these areas. I have posted reports (currently
unillustrated) at http://www.frostisen.com/mountain/MountainTripIndex.htm.
Those who do not know Norway normally start in the south where there are
many good things, and where conditions tend to be easier. People seeking
footpaths and marked winter routes in the north of Norway are liable to be
disappointed.

--
Alan Law

"Alan Law" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I hope I may be allowed the indulgence of making this report. It is
> off-topic, both because it refers to mountains outside UK, and

because the
> demands of the mountains in question go beyond the customary

interpretation
> of hill-walking.

It's a lot more on topic than many an item that has appeared on this
ng ;-) Always interesting to hear of other people trips and the fact
that they are a bit different and not in the Uk doesn't matter. Nice
report, look forward to seeing some pics
Graham

> I recently had the good fortune to complete my "3 peaks" in the

north of
> Norway, being the three dominant peaks in mainland Norway north of

the
> Arctic Circle. [There is also an offshore peak called Beerenberg

(2,277 m)
> in Jan Mayen Island that seems to be the highest Norwegian mountain

in the
> arctic---it is seldom visited. The mountains in Svalbard rise to

only 1,717
> m.]
>
> In the order of ascent they were:
>
> 1) Storsteinsfjellet (1,893 m)-Narvik area. Climbed on a magnificent
> winter's day in March 2001. Skis off 250 m below the summit, and a
> moderately steep snow climb to reach the final ridge. Minus 20

degrees
> Celsius at the top. This is the most alpine, but least well known,

of the
> three mountains. A superb winter mountain.
>
> 2) Suliskongen (1,907 m)---Sulitjelma area. Climbed in August 2003

with no
> views above 1,600 m on account of hill fog. There are a lot of

glaciers on
> this mountain, but I found a summer route that only involved a few

hundred
> metres on a glacier, which was dry and without crevasses. This hill

is
> normally climbed on ski in the late spring.
>
> 3) Jiehkkevarri (1,834 m)---Lyngen Alps. Climbed on a nice warm day

in July
> 2004 with a congenial group of Norwegians. This mountain lies in a

very
> alpine area, but it is relatively flat-topped, and has many of the

features
> of a small ice-cap. Because of crevasses a rope is essential---even,

I was
> told, for ski ascents earlier in the season. Although accessible, it
> involves a start at sea-level and, allowing for significant

re-ascent, it is
> a long day.
>
> The peaks indicated are the highest in the respective areas, but

there are
> many other fine mountains in these areas. I have posted reports

(currently
> unillustrated) at

http://www.frostisen.com/mountain/MountainTripIndex.htm.
> Those who do not know Norway normally start in the south where there

are
> many good things, and where conditions tend to be easier. People

seeking
> footpaths and marked winter routes in the north of Norway are liable

to be
> disappointed.
>
> --
> Alan Law

Drool - turn green

I have looked and not touched these beauties.. Never have anyone to
tie on to the other end of the rope when up there. Usually operated
in the islands.

What a lovely bevvy of peaks -and plenty more where they came from.
This year would have been interesting as they had such a fine summer.
Possible **** snow conditions?

Richard Webb

"RJ Webb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> What a lovely bevvy of peaks -and plenty more where they came from.
> This year would have been interesting as they had such a fine summer.
> Possible **** snow conditions?

The snow on Jiehkkevarri at the end of July was surprisingly good---crampons
were worn for quite a bit of the time, although they were not strictly
necessary. And on that particular hill it was snow all the way above 900 m.

The summer in the north this year seems to have been something of a mixed
affair. I heard suggestions that it may have been best in Finnmark. It was
briefly very hot in Troms at the end of July / beginning of August.

--
Alan Law