OT: a bike question for Fred

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Prairie Roots, Mar 11, 2004.

  1. I picked up my bike today. I love it, but I'm more than a
    little irritated with the shop where I purchased it. No help
    whatsoever. "There's your bike, thanks. Bye." I had to ask
    for an owner's manual. No offer to show me anything, or to
    help me get it into my van. Nothing. Nada. One of the
    customers who was leaving the store right behind me saw me
    struggling and came over to help. He showed me how to take
    the front tire off by releasing the lever on the front fork.
    He also showed me how to release the brake cable. Apparently
    I can learn only one thing at a time. I got the tire back on
    but I can't figure out how to reconnect the brake. I think
    it's a sidepull or centerpull type.

    So here's my question. Do you know of any Web sites with
    clear and easy instructions for how to reconnect my bike
    brake? I've been Googling but not coming up with anything.
    My owner's manual isn't much help.

    Thanks for any pointers. Linda P
    232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

    Tags:

  2. Hey, you must have patience. I would have wrapped that bike
    around someone's neck at that store! Can't help you with the
    brake cable, but I'm sure Fred will be able to give some
    advice. Good luck with it Linda.

    Brenda

    "Prairie Roots" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I picked up my bike today. I love it, but I'm more than a
    > little irritated with the shop where I purchased it. No
    > help whatsoever. "There's your bike, thanks. Bye." I had
    > to ask for an owner's manual. No offer to show me
    > anything, or to help me get it into my van. Nothing. Nada.
    > One of the customers who was leaving the store right
    > behind me saw me struggling and came over to help. He
    > showed me how to take the front tire off by releasing the
    > lever on the front fork. He also showed me how to release
    > the brake cable. Apparently I can learn only one thing at
    > a time. I got the tire back on but I can't figure out how
    > to reconnect the brake. I think it's a sidepull or
    > centerpull type.
    >
    > So here's my question. Do you know of any Web sites with
    > clear and easy instructions for how to reconnect my bike
    > brake? I've been Googling but not coming up with anything.
    > My owner's manual isn't much help.
    >
    > Thanks for any pointers. Linda P
    > 232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  3. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Sorry about the delay but I have been searching for sites
    that might help.

    First, do you have the link for you bike model again? That
    might have info on the brake type. Or at least a pic of it.

    Here's one link - page down and see if your brake looks like
    the 2nd picture??? (see below)

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-adjustment.html

    Also, usually the front and rear have the same type so look
    at the rear one and see if you can figure it out.

    There are generally two types of brakes. One has a pretty
    rigid metal caliper stuff and the release is might be at the
    brake level (handle bars) or a small clip like thing down by
    the brake shoes (rubber pads).

    The other uses a "Y" cable type of arrangement and the
    release is just a small BUMP on the end of the cable that
    slips into a slot/fitting on the metal caliper. You need to
    squeeze the pad holders to the wheel to slip the cable's
    bump into the fitting. In that web site's pic, the words
    "anchor bolt" overlay the end of the wire/cable where the
    bump fits into the brake.

    Now, I would call the shop and RANT CALMLY. Did you use a
    credit card? Suggest you might withhold or challenge the
    payment unless they give you some additional support. They
    should also generally include one free checkup since cables
    stretch a bit.

    I really am sorry this is not turning out terrific.

    Also here's a Minn bike link. Some thing there may offer
    some info:

    http://www.mikebentley.com/bike/states/mn.htm

    More questions?

    It really is hard in text like this - hey, digital camera? a
    quick pic? On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 20:34:11 -0600, Prairie Roots
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I picked up my bike today. I love it, but I'm more than a
    >little irritated with the shop where I purchased it. No
    >help whatsoever. "There's your bike, thanks. Bye." I had to
    >ask for an owner's manual. No offer to show me anything, or
    >to help me get it into my van. Nothing. Nada. One of the
    >customers who was leaving the store right behind me saw me
    >struggling and came over to help. He showed me how to take
    >the front tire off by releasing the lever on the front
    >fork. He also showed me how to release the brake cable.
    >Apparently I can learn only one thing at a time. I got the
    >tire back on but I can't figure out how to reconnect the
    >brake. I think it's a sidepull or centerpull type.
    >
    >So here's my question. Do you know of any Web sites with
    >clear and easy instructions for how to reconnect my bike
    >brake? I've been Googling but not coming up with anything.
    >My owner's manual isn't much help.
    >
    >Thanks for any pointers. Linda P
    >232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  4. Fred

    Fred Guest

    A link with more pictures: pick the one close to yours?

    http://members.aol.com/biketune/brake.htm

    Ignore the adjustment info - just find the one like yours??

    And just in case, here's one on fixing flats from the
    Twin Cities

    http://www.thegreenguide.org/article/diy/bicycle

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I picked up my bike today. I love it, but I'm more than a
    >little irritated with the shop where I purchased it. No
    >help whatsoever. "There's your bike, thanks. Bye." I had to
    >ask for an owner's manual. No offer to show me anything, or
    >to help me get it into my van. Nothing. Nada. One of the
    >customers who was leaving the store right behind me saw me
    >struggling and came over to help. He showed me how to take
    >the front tire off by releasing the lever on the front
    >fork. He also showed me how to release the brake cable.
    >Apparently I can learn only one thing at a time. I got the
    >tire back on but I can't figure out how to reconnect the
    >brake. I think it's a sidepull or centerpull type.
    >
    >So here's my question. Do you know of any Web sites with
    >clear and easy instructions for how to reconnect my bike
    >brake? I've been Googling but not coming up with anything.
    >My owner's manual isn't much help.
    >
    >Thanks for any pointers. Linda P
    >232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  5. Many many thanks for your replies. My bike has different brakes front
    and back so no help there. F: Shimano V brake / Shimano Nexus lever;
    R: Shimano Nexus / Shimano AutoD dual control lever.

    I think I've got it figured out but I'll look at the sites
    you found and also follow your advice about calmly ranting.
    I paid by check--it cleared last week--so no recourse there.

    I'm not up on the terminology of brake parts, but I've got
    the cable hooked into the right slot, but there's a "rubber"
    accordion thing covering the cable that I thought also fit
    into the hook. But I can't make it work that way.

    So I'll take my hard-won owner's manual with me to work
    today, study the book, study the links you found for me,
    call the bike shop, look for some alternative bike shops,
    and give it another go tonight. Pics online if I have to.

    Thanks again. I really appreciate the effort you made to
    help.

    Linda P

    On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 20:19:46 -0800, Fred
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Sorry about the delay but I have been searching for sites
    >that might help.
    >
    >First, do you have the link for you bike model again? That
    >might have info on the brake type. Or at least a pic of it.
    >
    >Here's one link - page down and see if your brake looks
    >like the 2nd picture??? (see below)
    >
    >http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-adjustment.html
    >

    >Also, usually the front and rear have the same type so look
    >at the rear one and see if you can figure it out.
    >
    >There are generally two types of brakes. One has a pretty
    >rigid metal caliper stuff and the release is might be at
    >the brake level (handle bars) or a small clip like thing
    >down by the brake shoes (rubber pads).
    >
    >The other uses a "Y" cable type of arrangement and the
    >release is just a small BUMP on the end of the cable that
    >slips into a slot/fitting on the metal caliper. You need to
    >squeeze the pad holders to the wheel to slip the cable's
    >bump into the fitting. In that web site's pic, the words
    >"anchor bolt" overlay the end of the wire/cable where the
    >bump fits into the brake.
    >
    >Now, I would call the shop and RANT CALMLY. Did you use a
    >credit card? Suggest you might withhold or challenge the
    >payment unless they give you some additional support. They
    >should also generally include one free checkup since cables
    >stretch a bit.
    >
    >I really am sorry this is not turning out terrific.
    >
    >Also here's a Minn bike link. Some thing there may offer
    >some info:
    >
    >http://www.mikebentley.com/bike/states/mn.htm
    >
    >More questions?
    >
    >It really is hard in text like this - hey, digital camera?
    >a quick pic? On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 20:34:11 -0600, Prairie
    >Roots <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I picked up my bike today. I love it, but I'm more than a
    >>little irritated with the shop where I purchased it. No
    >>help whatsoever. "There's your bike, thanks. Bye." I had
    >>to ask for an owner's manual. No offer to show me
    >>anything, or to help me get it into my van. Nothing. Nada.
    >>One of the customers who was leaving the store right
    >>behind me saw me struggling and came over to help. He
    >>showed me how to take the front tire off by releasing the
    >>lever on the front fork. He also showed me how to release
    >>the brake cable. Apparently I can learn only one thing at
    >>a time. I got the tire back on but I can't figure out how
    >>to reconnect the brake. I think it's a sidepull or
    >>centerpull type.
    >>
    >>So here's my question. Do you know of any Web sites with
    >>clear and easy instructions for how to reconnect my bike
    >>brake? I've been Googling but not coming up with anything.
    >>My owner's manual isn't much help.
    >>
    >>Thanks for any pointers. Linda P
    >>232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  6. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Maybe there is a bikie where you work or in the building or
    at least someone mechanically inclined. How 'bout one of
    those brawny workmen
    - motorcycles, perhaps (G)

    Good luck. I would ask to speak to the shop owner (unless
    that is who you dealt with already). Clearly, they may think
    you will not be buying another bike and so don't really care
    but most shops want the loyalty since there are all kinds of
    accessories one may come back for. I know this may be
    unwanted advice, but you can be honest and explain you have
    not had a bike in years and really do need help in
    understanding how it works - calipers and cables and latches
    (there really are a number of ways of "loosening" the brakes
    around the rim and even I had to figure it out on my newest
    bike where the lever that did it was well-integrated and not
    all that obvious. Some are on the brake lever (the handbar
    thingie), some are on the calipers (the part that tightened
    at the tire) and some use the "Y" cable and just slip out of
    a fitting also near the wheel rim.

    On the lever area - move the lever and look it over - there
    may be something that moves in or neaer the slot between the
    moving handle and the brake body by the handlebar. On the
    caliper, also a little sliding part on one arm or the other
    on the caliper (can be well-camoflarged). The Y cable is
    more easy to spot.

    And, yes, there may be a turning barrel but that allows
    slight adjustments and tweaking if the brakes squeak or as
    the pads wear down a bit.

    On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 06:26:17 -0600, Prairie Roots
    <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
    >>>help whatsoever. "There's your bike, thanks. Bye." I had
    >>>to ask for an owner's manual. No offer to show me
    >>>anything, or to help me get it into my van. Nothing.
    >>>Nada. One of the customers who was leaving the store
    >>>right behind me saw me struggling and came over to help.
    >>>He showed me how to take the front tire off by releasing
    >>>the lever on the front fork. He also showed me how to
    >>>release the brake cable. Apparently I can learn only one
    >>>thing at a time. I got the tire back on but I can't
    >>>figure out how to reconnect the brake. I think it's a
    >>>sidepull or centerpull type.
    >>>
    >>>So here's my question. Do you know of any Web sites with
    >>>clear and easy instructions for how to reconnect my bike
    >>>brake? I've been Googling but not coming up with
    >>>anything. My owner's manual isn't much help.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for any pointers. Linda P
    >>>232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  7. I can be of no help with the brakes but good luck, Lee
    Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I picked up my bike today. I love it, but I'm more than a
    > little irritated with the shop where I purchased it. No
    > help whatsoever. "There's your bike, thanks. Bye." I had
    > to ask for an owner's manual. No offer to show me
    > anything, or to help me get it into my van. Nothing. Nada.
    > One of the customers who was leaving the store right
    > behind me saw me struggling and came over to help. He
    > showed me how to take the front tire off by releasing the
    > lever on the front fork. He also showed me how to release
    > the brake cable. Apparently I can learn only one thing at
    > a time. I got the tire back on but I can't figure out how
    > to reconnect the brake. I think it's a sidepull or
    > centerpull type.
    >
    > So here's my question. Do you know of any Web sites with
    > clear and easy instructions for how to reconnect my bike
    > brake? I've been Googling but not coming up with anything.
    > My owner's manual isn't much help.
    >
    > Thanks for any pointers. Linda P
    > 232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  8. I can be of no help with the brakes but good luck, Lee
    Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I picked up my bike today. I love it, but I'm more than a
    > little irritated with the shop where I purchased it. No
    > help whatsoever. "There's your bike, thanks. Bye." I had
    > to ask for an owner's manual. No offer to show me
    > anything, or to help me get it into my van. Nothing. Nada.
    > One of the customers who was leaving the store right
    > behind me saw me struggling and came over to help. He
    > showed me how to take the front tire off by releasing the
    > lever on the front fork. He also showed me how to release
    > the brake cable. Apparently I can learn only one thing at
    > a time. I got the tire back on but I can't figure out how
    > to reconnect the brake. I think it's a sidepull or
    > centerpull type.
    >
    > So here's my question. Do you know of any Web sites with
    > clear and easy instructions for how to reconnect my bike
    > brake? I've been Googling but not coming up with anything.
    > My owner's manual isn't much help.
    >
    > Thanks for any pointers. Linda P
    > 232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  9. Sorry for the delayed response. For the past 24 hours I've
    had a 1-track mind. Thanks for the encouragement. As a small
    business owner yourself, no doubt you deal with customer
    service issues all the time. Your interest and advice are
    especially appreciated.

    Linda P

    On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 19:29:37 -0800, "Brenda Hammond"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hey, you must have patience. I would have wrapped that bike
    >around someone's neck at that store! Can't help you with
    >the brake cable, but I'm sure Fred will be able to give
    >some advice. Good luck with it Linda.
    >
    >Brenda
    >
    >"Prairie Roots" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> I picked up my bike today. I love it, but I'm more than a
    >> little irritated with the shop where I purchased it. No
    >> help whatsoever. "There's your bike, thanks. Bye." I had
    >> to ask for an owner's manual. No offer to show me
    >> anything, or to help me get it into my van. Nothing.
    >> Nada. One of the customers who was leaving the store
    >> right behind me saw me struggling and came over to help.
    >> He showed me how to take the front tire off by releasing
    >> the lever on the front fork. He also showed me how to
    >> release the brake cable. Apparently I can learn only one
    >> thing at a time. I got the tire back on but I can't
    >> figure out how to reconnect the brake. I think it's a
    >> sidepull or centerpull type.
    >>
    >> So here's my question. Do you know of any Web sites with
    >> clear and easy instructions for how to reconnect my bike
    >> brake? I've been Googling but not coming up with
    >> anything. My owner's manual isn't much help.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any pointers. Linda P
    >> 232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  10. Sorry for the delayed response. For the past 24 hours I've

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hey, you must have patience. I would have wrapped that bike
    >around someone's neck at that store! Can't help you with
    >the brake cable, but I'm sure Fred will be able to give
    >some advice. Good luck with it Linda.
    >
    >Brenda
    >
    >"Prairie Roots" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> I picked up my bike today. I love it, but I'm more than a
    >> little irritated with the shop where I purchased it. No
    >> help whatsoever. "There's your bike, thanks. Bye." I had
    >> to ask for an owner's manual. No offer to show me
    >> anything, or to help me get it into my van. Nothing.
    >> Nada. One of the customers who was leaving the store
    >> right behind me saw me struggling and came over to help.
    >> He showed me how to take the front tire off by releasing
    >> the lever on the front fork. He also showed me how to
    >> release the brake cable. Apparently I can learn only one
    >> thing at a time. I got the tire back on but I can't
    >> figure out how to reconnect the brake. I think it's a
    >> sidepull or centerpull type.
    >>
    >> So here's my question. Do you know of any Web sites with
    >> clear and easy instructions for how to reconnect my bike
    >> brake? I've been Googling but not coming up with
    >> anything. My owner's manual isn't much help.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any pointers. Linda P
    >> 232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  11. Wow. More thanks to you.

    I'm out the door in the morning before the full crew arrives
    to hack at my house. None of the bike riders I've talked to
    at work are familiar with the Shimano V brake I've got. I
    called the bike shop today and asked to speak to the owner.
    I came up with that idea on my own without the prior benefit
    of reading suggestion below. <G>

    I told the shop owner (Dan) what happened last night,
    explained that I'm new to biking and bikes, and then asked
    if perhaps his shop prefers customers who are experienced
    cyclists and racers. If so, I'd be grateful for a referral
    to another bike shop willing to cater to a novice. No, no,
    he assured me that he appreciates my business and will do
    whatever is necessary to make me happy. He couldn't explain
    over the phone how to reconnect my brake, but he told me
    enough that I know I'm doing something wrong. Dan told me to
    come in either tomorrow before 6 p.m. or Saturday any time
    and to ask for him. He'll walk me through all the parts of
    the bike and make sure I understand everything about it.
    I'll see how it goes. I'll bring my receipt and all the
    stuff I bought just in case I need to return everything.

    We've returned to winter for a bit -- it's 10F -- so I'm not
    in any hurry this evening to be riding around the block on a
    bicycle. Shoot, it's too cold to be going outside to use the
    portapotty. Sometimes, though, a person just has to suck it
    up and do the hard thing.

    Again, thank you so much for your assistance. Some of the
    links I'd found on my own. Nice to know I was on right
    track. I've bookmarked them all for future reference. No
    doubt I'll have more questions.

    On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 06:50:11 -0800, Fred
    <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
    >>>cable's bump into the fitting. In that web site's pic,
    >>>the words "anchor bolt" overlay the end of the wire/cable
    >>>where the bump fits into the brake.
    >>>
    >>>Now, I would call the shop and RANT CALMLY. Did you use a
    >>>credit card? Suggest you might withhold or challenge the
    >>>payment unless they give you some additional support.
    >>>They should also generally include one free checkup since
    >>>cables stretch a bit.
    >>>
    >>>I really am sorry this is not turning out terrific.
    >>>
    >>>Also here's a Minn bike link. Some thing there may offer
    >>>some info:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.mikebentley.com/bike/states/mn.htm
    >>>
    >>>More questions?
    >>>
    >>>It really is hard in text like this - hey, digital
    >>>camera? a quick pic? On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 20:34:11 -0600,

    Linda P
    232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  12. Wow. More thanks to you.

    <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
    >>>cable's bump into the fitting. In that web site's pic,
    >>>the words "anchor bolt" overlay the end of the wire/cable
    >>>where the bump fits into the brake.
    >>>
    >>>Now, I would call the shop and RANT CALMLY. Did you use a
    >>>credit card? Suggest you might withhold or challenge the
    >>>payment unless they give you some additional support.
    >>>They should also generally include one free checkup since
    >>>cables stretch a bit.
    >>>
    >>>I really am sorry this is not turning out terrific.
    >>>
    >>>Also here's a Minn bike link. Some thing there may offer
    >>>some info:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.mikebentley.com/bike/states/mn.htm
    >>>
    >>>More questions?
    >>>
    >>>It really is hard in text like this - hey, digital
    >>>camera? a quick pic? On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 20:34:11 -0600,

    Linda P
    232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  13. Fred

    Fred Guest

    I will skip the boring bike stuff and go right to the
    portapotti at 10F!!!!! Yes, reminds of winter camping and
    why I do it so infrequently (g)

    Yup, I would not want to ride in that either. Rarely these
    days below freezing even - very rarely.

    Good luck with THE OWNER. I think that I would also
    emphasize when you do see him that you purposely went with
    the small local place expecting some personal service. Maybe
    he will remember that, emphasize it with his employees and
    also help with future tuneups.

    Best getting full satisfaction and going above 32F again
    sometime before July! (G)

    Here's a pic of a v brake and frankly, it gives me no clue
    (G)

    http://www.bikesmart.com/index.cfm?menu=browse&cid=BRK&ssid-
    =PAOHADGIDFGFJHAK&ap=39.99&StartRow=1

    I see there are various models with the same design. If I
    can get to a bike shop tomorrow I will see what I learn (G)

    On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 18:03:17 -0600, Prairie Roots
    <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
    >>>sites you found and also follow your advice about calmly
    >>>ranting. I paid by check--it cleared last week--so no
    >>>recourse there.
    >>>
    >>>I'm not up on the terminology of brake parts, but I've
    >>>got the cable hooked into the right slot, but there's a
    >>>"rubber" accordion thing covering the cable that I
    >>>thought also fit into the hook. But I can't make it work
    >>>that way.
    >>>
    >>>So I'll take my hard-won owner's manual with me to work
    >>>today, study the book, study the links you found for me,
    >>>call the bike shop, look for some alternative bike shops,
    >>>and give it another go tonight. Pics online if I have to.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks again. I really appreciate the effort you made
    >>>to help.
    >>>
    >>>Linda P

    >Linda P
    >232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  14. Fred

    <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
    >>>sites you found and also follow your advice about calmly
    >>>ranting. I paid by check--it cleared last week--so no
    >>>recourse there.
    >>>
    >>>I'm not up on the terminology of brake parts, but I've
    >>>got the cable hooked into the right slot, but there's a
    >>>"rubber" accordion thing covering the cable that I
    >>>thought also fit into the hook. But I can't make it work
    >>>that way.
    >>>
    >>>So I'll take my hard-won owner's manual with me to work
    >>>today, study the book, study the links you found for me,
    >>>call the bike shop, look for some alternative bike shops,
    >>>and give it another go tonight. Pics online if I have to.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks again. I really appreciate the effort you made
    >>>to help.
    >>>
    >>>Linda P

    >Linda P
    >232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  15. I can't wait to see what happens. I have no clue about bikes, but you taking
    charge and asserting yourself is very exciting to me, Lee
> [...]
    > >>sites you found and also follow your advice about calmly
    > >>ranting. I paid by check--it cleared last week--so no
    > >>recourse there.
    > >>
    > >>I'm not up on the terminology of brake parts, but I've
    > >>got the cable hooked into the right slot, but there's a
    > >>"rubber" accordion thing covering the cable that I
    > >>thought also fit into the hook. But I can't make it work
    > >>that way.
    > >>
    > >>So I'll take my hard-won owner's manual with me to work
    > >>today, study the book, study the links you found for me,
    > >>call the bike shop, look for some alternative bike
    > >>shops, and give it another go tonight. Pics online if I
    > >>have to.
    > >>
    > >>Thanks again. I really appreciate the effort you made
    > >>to help.
    > >>
    > >>Linda P

    > Linda P
    > 232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  16. I can't wait to see what happens. I have no clue about bikes, but you taking
> [...]
    > >>sites you found and also follow your advice about calmly
    > >>ranting. I paid by check--it cleared last week--so no
    > >>recourse there.
    > >>
    > >>I'm not up on the terminology of brake parts, but I've
    > >>got the cable hooked into the right slot, but there's a
    > >>"rubber" accordion thing covering the cable that I
    > >>thought also fit into the hook. But I can't make it work
    > >>that way.
    > >>
    > >>So I'll take my hard-won owner's manual with me to work
    > >>today, study the book, study the links you found for me,
    > >>call the bike shop, look for some alternative bike
    > >>shops, and give it another go tonight. Pics online if I
    > >>have to.
    > >>
    > >>Thanks again. I really appreciate the effort you made
    > >>to help.
    > >>
    > >>Linda P

    > Linda P
    > 232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  17. LOL. Compared to sitting on a 10F portapotty seat, bike
    stuff is pretty boring. To avoid having to go out there, I'm
    sure to get lots of practice exercising control of certain
    muscles over the next few weeks.

    Today I was glad for the transit strike. I'm the driver of
    my neighborhood carpool so NO standing outside in frigid
    temps. Our blast of winter was only a one-day thing. We
    return to 35F tomorrow, up to the mid-40sF over the weekend
    and extending into next week.

    I did mention on the phone with the owner today that I chose
    to patronize his shop for the very reasons you cite. He
    seemed to appreciate the comments, but... We'll see. If he
    keeps hiring high school kids to run the shop in his
    absence, he needs to do a better job of training.

    BINGO! You found a picture of my front brake. I think the
    left side of the black accordion brake boot is supposed to
    fit into the slot on the quick release mechanism, but I
    can't make it fit. That's what I need this guy to show me. I
    also need help getting the seat in the right position and at
    the right height.

    OK, that's as much thinking about this stuff as I can handle
    for tonight.

    I'm indebted to you for all your assistance.

    On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 19:21:13 -0800, Fred
    <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
    >>>on the brake lever (the handbar thingie), some are on the
    >>>calipers (the part that tightened at the tire) and some
    >>>use the "Y" cable and just slip out of a fitting also
    >>>near the wheel rim.
    >>>
    >>>On the lever area - move the lever and look it over -
    >>>there may be something that moves in or neaer the slot
    >>>between the moving handle and the brake body by the
    >>>handlebar. On the caliper, also a little sliding part on
    >>>one arm or the other on the caliper (can be well-
    >>>camoflarged). The Y cable is more easy to spot.
    >>>
    >>>And, yes, there may be a turning barrel but that allows
    >>>slight adjustments and tweaking if the brakes squeak or
    >>>as the pads wear down a bit.

    >>Linda P
    >>232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

    Linda P
    232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  18. LOL. Compared to sitting on a 10F portapotty seat, bike

    <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
    >>>on the brake lever (the handbar thingie), some are on the
    >>>calipers (the part that tightened at the tire) and some
    >>>use the "Y" cable and just slip out of a fitting also
    >>>near the wheel rim.
    >>>
    >>>On the lever area - move the lever and look it over -
    >>>there may be something that moves in or neaer the slot
    >>>between the moving handle and the brake body by the
    >>>handlebar. On the caliper, also a little sliding part on
    >>>one arm or the other on the caliper (can be well-
    >>>camoflarged). The Y cable is more easy to spot.
    >>>
    >>>And, yes, there may be a turning barrel but that allows
    >>>slight adjustments and tweaking if the brakes squeak or
    >>>as the pads wear down a bit.

    >>Linda P
    >>232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

    Linda P
    232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  19. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Great practice for those contractors!!!!

    On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 00:01:56 -0600, "Miss Violette"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
    >> >bike where the lever that did it was well-integrated and
    >> >not all that obvious. Some are on the brake lever (the
    >> >handbar thingie), some are on the calipers (the part
    >> >that tightened at the tire) and some use the "Y" cable
    >> >and just slip out of a fitting also near the wheel rim.
    >> >
    >> >On the lever area - move the lever and look it over -
    >> >there may be something that moves in or neaer the slot
    >> >between the moving handle and the brake body by the
    >> >handlebar. On the caliper, also a little sliding part on
    >> >one arm or the other on the caliper (can be well-
    >> >camoflarged). The Y cable is more easy to spot.
    >> >
    >> >And, yes, there may be a turning barrel but that allows
    >> >slight adjustments and tweaking if the brakes squeak or
    >> >as the pads wear down a bit.

    >> Linda P
    >> 232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  20. Fred