OT: a passing

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by wafflycat, Feb 28, 2006.

  1. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    Linda Smith has died

    I will always remember her description of a certain Mr Clarkson, whom she
    described as "the thinking woman's fat, ugly bloke" Which gave me a titter,
    anyhow.

    Cheers, helen s

    --

    ~~
    you may need to remove dependence

    Tags:

  2. wafflycat wrote:
    > Linda Smith has died

    I heard that just now. Interesting how she chose not to make the cancer a
    public issue, the way some other celebs have done.

  3. graham

    graham Guest

    "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Linda Smith has died
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4759968.stm
    >
    > I will always remember her description of a certain Mr Clarkson, whom she
    > described as "the thinking woman's fat, ugly bloke" Which gave me a
    > titter, anyhow.

    Also, as she was president of the British Humanist Assoc., it is a loss to
    rational thinking.

  4. Rich

    Rich Guest

    "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Linda Smith has died
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4759968.stm
    >
    > I will always remember her description of a certain Mr Clarkson, whom she
    > described as "the thinking woman's fat, ugly bloke" Which gave me a
    > titter, anyhow.

    A shame, Linda was original and funny. And clearly, from the quote above,
    given to damning with faint praise.

  5. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    wafflycat wrote:
    > Linda Smith has died
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4759968.stm
    >
    > I will always remember her description of a certain Mr Clarkson, whom
    > she described as "the thinking woman's fat, ugly bloke" Which gave me a
    > titter, anyhow.

    Sad indeed. I had wondered about her absence from r4 over ...
    not quite sure how long; maybe a year. Now we learn why
    she disappeared from those mostly-male panel games, where
    women who can hold their own seem to be like gold dust.

    --
    not me guv

  6. davek

    davek Guest

    graham wrote:
    > Also, as she was president of the British Humanist Assoc., it is a loss to
    > rational thinking.

    I concur with Jeremy Hardy's comments in her Guardian obit to the
    effect that her left-wing leanings were entirely down to a sense of
    fair play and nothing to do with party politics. She was clearly a
    woman of exceptional intelligence and good sense.

    And extremely bloody funny too.

    I'm not often bothered by celebrity deaths but I'll miss Linda Smith.

    d.

  7. Graeme Dods

    Graeme Dods Guest

    On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:57:47 +0000 (UTC), wafflycat wrote:

    > Linda Smith has died
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4759968.stm
    >
    > I will always remember her description of a certain Mr Clarkson, whom she
    > described as "the thinking woman's fat, ugly bloke" Which gave me a titter,
    > anyhow.

    Very sad. Over the last few weeks I've been listening to loads of old
    episodes of The News Quiz, I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue and a few other R4
    programmes where she regularly popped up. One of her best lines on ISIHAC
    was "As a singer, I'm no Jeremy Hardy" :)

    At least this will finally put a stop to those who think she and Hattie
    Hayridge were one and the same :-/

    Graeme

  8. Graeme Dods wrote:

    > One of her best lines on ISIHAC
    > was "As a singer, I'm no Jeremy Hardy" :)

    Another memorable one on 'Clue' was from a "complete the following
    expression" round;

    "As daft as....George W. Brush" ;-)

    David Belcher

  9. Bryan

    Bryan New Member

    Joined:
    May 1, 2003
    Apparently this weeks News Quiz will be a special with all Lindas best bits

    Bryan

  10. On 1 Mar 2006 05:42:23 -0800, "davek" <[email protected]> said
    in <[email protected]>:

    >I'm not often bothered by celebrity deaths but I'll miss Linda Smith.

    I think it was Sandy Toksvig who said on the Newsquiz that she
    couldn't believe she was really sitting next to the funniest woman in
    Britain. Linda Smith was, indeed, incredibly funny.

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk