OT: a passing

wafflycat

Guest
Linda Smith has died

I will always remember her description of a certain Mr Clarkson, whom she
described as "the thinking woman's fat, ugly bloke" Which gave me a titter,
anyhow.

Cheers, helen s

--

~~
you may need to remove dependence

wafflycat wrote:
> Linda Smith has died

I heard that just now. Interesting how she chose not to make the cancer a
public issue, the way some other celebs have done.

"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Linda Smith has died
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4759968.stm
>
> I will always remember her description of a certain Mr Clarkson, whom she
> described as "the thinking woman's fat, ugly bloke" Which gave me a
> titter, anyhow.

Also, as she was president of the British Humanist Assoc., it is a loss to
rational thinking.

"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Linda Smith has died
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4759968.stm
>
> I will always remember her description of a certain Mr Clarkson, whom she
> described as "the thinking woman's fat, ugly bloke" Which gave me a
> titter, anyhow.

A shame, Linda was original and funny. And clearly, from the quote above,
given to damning with faint praise.

wafflycat wrote:
> Linda Smith has died
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4759968.stm
>
> I will always remember her description of a certain Mr Clarkson, whom
> she described as "the thinking woman's fat, ugly bloke" Which gave me a
> titter, anyhow.

Sad indeed. I had wondered about her absence from r4 over ...
not quite sure how long; maybe a year. Now we learn why
she disappeared from those mostly-male panel games, where
women who can hold their own seem to be like gold dust.

--
not me guv

graham wrote:
> Also, as she was president of the British Humanist Assoc., it is a loss to
> rational thinking.

I concur with Jeremy Hardy's comments in her Guardian obit to the
effect that her left-wing leanings were entirely down to a sense of
fair play and nothing to do with party politics. She was clearly a
woman of exceptional intelligence and good sense.

And extremely bloody funny too.

I'm not often bothered by celebrity deaths but I'll miss Linda Smith.

d.

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:57:47 +0000 (UTC), wafflycat wrote:

> Linda Smith has died
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4759968.stm
>
> I will always remember her description of a certain Mr Clarkson, whom she
> described as "the thinking woman's fat, ugly bloke" Which gave me a titter,
> anyhow.

Very sad. Over the last few weeks I've been listening to loads of old
episodes of The News Quiz, I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue and a few other R4
programmes where she regularly popped up. One of her best lines on ISIHAC
was "As a singer, I'm no Jeremy Hardy" :)

At least this will finally put a stop to those who think she and Hattie
Hayridge were one and the same :-/

Graeme

Graeme Dods wrote:

> One of her best lines on ISIHAC
> was "As a singer, I'm no Jeremy Hardy" :)

Another memorable one on 'Clue' was from a "complete the following
expression" round;

"As daft as....George W. Brush" ;-)

David Belcher

Graeme Dods said:
On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:57:47 +0000 (UTC), wafflycat wrote:

> Linda Smith has died
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4759968.stm
>
> I will always remember her description of a certain Mr Clarkson, whom she
> described as "the thinking woman's fat, ugly bloke" Which gave me a titter,
> anyhow.

Very sad. Over the last few weeks I've been listening to loads of old
episodes of The News Quiz, I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue and a few other R4
programmes where she regularly popped up. One of her best lines on ISIHAC
was "As a singer, I'm no Jeremy Hardy" :)

At least this will finally put a stop to those who think she and Hattie
Hayridge were one and the same :-/

Graeme

Apparently this weeks News Quiz will be a special with all Lindas best bits

Bryan

On 1 Mar 2006 05:42:23 -0800, "davek" <[email protected]> said
in <[email protected]>:

>I'm not often bothered by celebrity deaths but I'll miss Linda Smith.

I think it was Sandy Toksvig who said on the Newsquiz that she
couldn't believe she was really sitting next to the funniest woman in
Britain. Linda Smith was, indeed, incredibly funny.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk